• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your praises/criticism for Skyward Sword

How was Skyward Sword?

• Great

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Good

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Ok

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Yeeeww

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Haven't played

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Look at the poll results @Dizzi . you need to check on evidences before you say something :shrugs:
Anyways Yes @thePlinko the motion control feature was a great idea but it would have been great experience if it was accurate. Whenever I do vertical slashes (especially the seal on imprisoned's head) . I get a diagonal slash 60% of the time.

The linearity in SS was also present in every other game .
So yea ,it was the second best game after BotW
Most zelda-ers i know hate ss and they dont vote here...

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
The poll here doesn't say anything. It only tells something if every single member has voted. Look at the several threads being made about suckward sword. But it always will be the opinion of the player. One hate it and the other love it or thinks it's okay. That's variety :D
I loath the game. Nothing about it is memorable to me or left an impact.
The artstyle was goddamn awful. It could have been so much better but nope...they went with an awful style.
The idea of the loftwings wasn't that bad but man they should have done so much more with that terrible empty sky! I mean people complain about TWW being boring when sailing but I prefer the great sea in every occation. At least you've got more variety with enemies and treasure hunting.
The story itself wasn't that bad but not really memorable to me. Maybe the story was the best part of the game.
The bosses....geesh that giant octopus could've been taken out of a looney tunes comedy!
The stamina was horrible. At least in BotW they made it way better. But by climbing vines you basically have to move both hands in sync and still need to have the fingers crossed to see if you made it!
And don't get me started about Ghirahim. He makes me puke. I do like him way better in Hyrule Warriors though. He's one of my fav warriors to play with. But for a very long time I disliked him the most. I have changed my opinion about him a bit but he'll never be a fav of mine.

What did I like?
The best thing ever happen in the game was when it was finished! In the drawer and never ever touch it again :D
Nah, if I think about it the best thing about the whole game was Skipper. I love that sweet little robot captain who's actually nice and not trying to be a smartass like a certain Scrapper. Although I liked Scrapper too. But not half as much as Skipper.
The silent realms were fun. I liked playing them though. Yeah it was repetitive but I did like it.

Will I play the game when a HD version is going to be released? I don't know. Maybe if they change some things which probably isn't going to happen. And in the meantime I'm not going to waste my time with replaying SS. I don't own a wii anymore so... :P :P

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
My first game in LoZ was Skyward Sword. And that's the reason why I was hooked on to Zelda series could you deny the fact that. The motion control feature was an out of the box feature and the graphics was superior to all the other Zelda games.
If Skyward Sword was poor then Zelda wouldn't have happened to me

I don't think saying it being what drew a person to the Zelda series necessarily means it's a solid title for the series. Skyward Sword probably is better as a first--or at least early--Zelda game because you go in with no standards for a Zelda game. Skyward Sword is an alright game in some aspects, but as a Zelda game it just doesn't really hold up well. It's definitely a good one to get out of the way early, though, so that if you do decide to revisit it, perhaps some nostalgia could keep it likeable. I personally have a fair bit of nostalgia for the environments of some of the areas, especially Faron and its music, but the clunky mechanics are offputting and the segmented progression is pretty chore-like and badly paced, to say the very least. I've only finished the one playthrough of it. I never can find nostalgia alone to successfully propel me all the way through the game.

By the way, I never had issues with the motion controls until I revisited in the game on an HDTV in 2016.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Dungeons: I liked the Earth Temple, Ancient Cistern and the Lanayru Facility.

Silent Realms: These made the heart race, and I am glad they included them.

Music: I liked Grooses theme, Ghirahims Theme, Earth Temple Theme, Mining Facility Theme, Koloktos boss battle theme, Bilocytes Theme, Ancient Cistern Theme, Silent Realm Guardian Theme.

Bosses: There were some fun bosses. I loved Ghirahim, Moldarach, Koloktos and Bilocyte

Motion controls- I liked the way the beetle worked and the pocket style item selection menu. It was easy to switch items.
Yeah. I liked these features too! For me it's Koloktos, Moldarach and Demise, I also liked the stal mini bosses. And the silent one was def better than the ones in TP. I liked Silent realms in Faron and Lanayru . Their music was cool and adrenaline pumping too.
. And as for Tentalus he looked like the son of Mike Wazowski and that snake haired monster.
lmfao Deus!:crylaugh::crylaugh::crylaugh:

Stamina - Ridiculous to give a hero like Link a stamina meter. Nobody wants to see a great hero get out of breath like an COPD afflicted pensioner.

Breakable Shields - Shields just dont break like that. They can take loads of blows to the point where link could spend a whole game being attacked and his metal shield would still exist by the end.
This is where reality comes.....everyone gets tired at one point and also we needed combat balance. If there was no stamina gauge then we could defeat most of the enemies by mindless wrist wagging as you said below.

As for the shields every material has a point of fatigue after which it would break.
The breaking of shields made the game look more real. And made us all do shield parry carefully.
Fi - Wouldn't have minded if not for the constant interruptions to gameplay. So irritating.

Motion controls- link looked like a moron the way he held his sword and most enemies could be defeated by mindless wrist waggling.

Lack of voice acting - It looked stupid in the 2006 Twilight Princess to have characters lips move in cutscenes but no voice coming out. Even worse in the 2011 SS which was even better animated and voice acting an industry standard.
Yea. Fi was down right annoying and I completely agree with the other two.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
This is where reality comes.....everyone gets tired at one point and also we needed combat balance. If there was no stamina gauge then we could defeat most of the enemies by mindless wrist wagging as you said below.

As for the shields every material has a point of fatigue after which it would break.
The breaking of shields made the game look more real. And made us all do shield parry carefully.

Link is a knight and an athlete. He would be able to fight for a long time without getting tired and should be able to run for a very long time. To the point where including a meter for his stamina would not be required as you shouldn't be able to tire such a person out easily enough for stamina to come into play. None of the enemies get tired even the obese moblins.

There was no issue in OOT with combat being too easy because it didn't have a stamina meter. It is just proof of poorly designed combat in SS. Timing and learning a specific technique for different types of enemy should be what is required.

Soldiers shields did not break easily in battle. Those things are designed to protect from blows. A wooden shield might break after a while but a metal one would likely last the whole of links short adventure. I think you'll find it made most of us not bother with a shield and just dodge.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
Skyward Sword provokes mixed reactions in everyone. Some love it while others hate it. It actually sold about the same as Majora's Mask.
For me it's my sixth favorite Zelda behind the other 3D games cause for me 3D is much more fun than 2D sprites or games trying to act like a 2D game. Along with the advantage of being 3D it also offered some interesting ideas such as a basic crafting system for potions, and shield upgrades. These ideas I feel may have helped to inspire later experiments with crafting in Zelda such as TFH and BotW. Another great idea was the one to one motion controls. If you pointed the wii controller one way, Link would point the sword the same way. Even how you swung would carry over, whether it be vertical, horizontal or a thrust. While it works well enough there have been a fair number of complaints with the wii controller synchronizing right.
Skyward Sword's world was a linear adventure. You'd go to Faron, Eldin then Lanayru and back again. The three areas aren't connected either like every other 3D zelda invoking a Mario 64 vibe with bigger worlds but less total worlds. Each region looks very nice, very bold coloring as Skyward Sword attempted to fuse the realism of Twilight Princess and the cartoon style of the Wind Waker to a limited degree of success. The sky itself and Skyloft are also quite pretty to look at but unfortunately that's really all the sky is. Beyond Skyloft there isn't much to do that you couldn't finish in an afternoon. Overall the world itself is beautiful to look at if not empty beyond what the game wants you to do.
The beings of Skyward Sword are why the fusing of TP and WW style was only a limited success. Link himself has thick lips that remind one of the kid on YouTube who demanded people stop calling him a homo. The bokoblins look like a toy you'd win as a prize as opposed to any actual threat, same with moblins and really most enemies suffer this. The people of Skyloft lurk in a weird area where some look like they'd fit in TP and some that just look like something out of Nickelodeon. Not bad but not good overall. Even some of the bosses look ridiculous. Tentalous looks like it was ripped out of Monsters Inc. Demise itself is a great design I love it. Its previous form as the imprisoned just looks like an oversized plushie with its big white sausage toes. I will say my first impressions of it were better but after seeing its silly feet and slow movement, all scary factor went down the drain.
The lore this game offers is also a mixed bag. We got a literal spirit that is revealed to have been in the master sword this whole time, tough I'm sure older fans find the retcon of the Master Sword's creation to be rather frustrating as there were no sages to be found only a boy and his battery reminder. Demise as the cause of all evil is a great addition to the lore. It has its own dark master sword and is essentially Zelda's devil of sorts. The goddess Hylia is also another neat lore addition as an origin for Hylians.
All together Skyward Sword is a good game but not without major flaws and things left to be desired. It experimented to pave the way for something much better and offered a fair bit of lore. It brought in interesting mechanics. It tried, with limited success, to fuse the TP and WW styles. As said before as of this post it is my sixth favorite Zelda of all 19 mainline games. I rate it a B.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I think the simplest thing that could've been done to have the stamina meter be not a big issue is to have it grow throughout the game in some form or another, whether you grow it yourself through materials or potions or whatever or have it grow itself after each dungeon you beat

or maybe even a simpler method.....not have the dumb thing there in the first place

Last edited:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I don’t understand people’s hatred of the stamina meter in SS, only to do a 180 and praise BotWs stamina meter, which was worse in almost every regard. Sure it wasn’t perfect in SS but at least it meant something. You actually ran faster than most other links in SS, in BotW you were way too slow. The sprint speed should’ve been the base walking speed. In SS the stamina meter ran down so slowly because you weren’t supposed to use it 24/7, the base speed was already pretty dang fast, especially considering the world was relatively small. The stamina meter was mainly there for extra acrobatic and combat moves, sprinting for a puzzle, spin attacks, etc. BotWs stamina was just there to lock you behind a mountain until you completed like 8 shrines, only to be rewarded with more shrines. Sure you could get food to temporarily increase your stamina but that just defeats the purpose of stamina to begin with. I will admit that there was one aspect of BotWs stamina I enjoyed, and that was being able to upgrade it, even then the way you went about upgrading it was terrible.

Shield durability was done flawlessly in SS. It was there so you didn’t just spam shield and actually concentrated on combat, unlike BotW which just had it there for :party:realism:party:
At least in SS it took a hot second for them to break, and you could actually repair them, you had options for the different kinds of shields, each with different durability, and the hylian shield actually mattered because unlike in BotW it wouldn’t break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom