• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your pain level

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I made a topic like this a long time ago but because it's now a long time buried and gone I decided to post a new thread instead of digging up that old body of text.

How high is your pain level? Do you not even feel it when the doctor is doing surgery on you or are you the kind of person who yells ouch ouch when you just spot a syringe?
My pain level is very high. When my first two wisdom teeth got removed they had to cut my lower jaw open to be able to take that bloody homesick tooth out. The dentist had to pull and pull and I almost felt out of the chair but no pain at all. I have a high pain level. So what about you?

I would say my threshold for being bothered by pain is high as well. I'm with you on the dentist thing. A lot of people complain about bad experiences, but if I had something that had to be done, it never perturbed me. I remember my last baby tooth fell out in pieces, and the last bit had to be removed, but I didn't feel any pain at all. I just hope the removal of my wisdom teeth in the near future will go as smoothly as yours.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It's hard to say for me, really. I like to think it would be quite high, all the times I've hurt myself or been ill I've never had much issue with it, I don't ever take paracetamol or any kind of pain-killers and I think contributed to this, but at the same time I've never really been hurt. Like, never broken any bone in my body, had any teeth removed, been in hospital for any kind of surgery. Nothing! So I'm not quite sure how I'd react in those circumstances, but I am horribly squeamish when it comes to my own blood so I'm imagining not well. :(

Dan

Did Spirit pay you to make this thread Vanessa? :P Oh well let's give her a shout since I'm sure she can provide us a detailed thesis regarding her pain levels which are probably higher than a hippy at Woodstock. @Spirit

My pain threshold varies which is quite strange, perhaps it's psychological. I don't mind huge needles at all when I'm at the Doctors, but when a Cat gets it's claws in me I find it so damn painful. I'm also pretty heat resistant too, never been phased too much when someone accidently drops a boiling cup of tea on me. Like the lady of the night above me I too haven't really been in many painful circumstances.

Last edited:

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think it depends on the type of pain for me. Generally though I think I have a high pain threshold. I have no issues with needles whatsoever and can be a big girl about other lumps and bruises. However I am also very clumsy so I'm always hurting myself and say 'ouch' automatically even when it doesn't hurt.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I normally have a somewhat high tolerance for pain. I'll ***** about stuff like stubbed toes and other things but those don't really slow me down much. I haven't gotten seriously hurt in several years, but I can normally take it to a degree, depending on what happened to me.

Charley horses, though, are one of the most painful ****ing things on the planet they never fail to make me scream like a baby and I'm so glad I haven't had one in years

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Charley horses, though, are one of the most painful ****ing things on the planet they never fail to make me scream like a baby and I'm so glad I haven't had one in years

ugh, I get those fairly often, and even though they only last (for me) for a few seconds usually, they are ****ing painful af.

Anyway, my pain tolerance is also quite high. I haven't cried from pain (not physical pain, at least) in probably 7 years or so. I don't get seriously hurt very often (I think my most painful experience ever was like 6 years ago when I hit a jump on a toboggan and landed on my butt on ice. Sent a shockwave all the way up my spine and I could barely move for like 5 days), but I get cuts and bruises all the time. I'm kinda careless when using Exacto knives at work and stuff, so I cut myself a lot, often quite deep. I tend to just shrug it away and keep going with my day.

Although, I did break my thumb a couple years ago by smashing it with a hammer. Pretty sure I woke everybody up with how loudly I yelled lol.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Neat that literally everyone thinks they have high pain tolerance. Perhaps you all just have average pain tolerance and you think it's high?

It partially depends on what kind of pain we're talking about here. For instance, there's burning pain, stabbing pain, stinging pain, and other such sensations. I find that I have quite a high tolerance for burning/itching pain, like the pain accompanied by IBS and fibro. I find blunt pain to be somewhat tolerable as well, however, but headaches tend to stir me a bit. Overall, I'd say my pain tolerance is moderate to extremely high.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Neat that literally everyone thinks they have high pain tolerance. Perhaps you all just have average pain tolerance and you think it's high?
Seriously though if you made a poll of this I bet a huge majority of the forum would say they have a high pain tolerance. And as @Kirino pointed out to me on Skype, probably the same would be true with things like intelligence or other positive qualities people think they have.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
As a survivor of the great slaughter of Uganda, I'd rate my pain tolerance very high.

Seriously though, I'd say it's okay. I can brush off some pains, others I just swear loudly and then act like I'm not hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom