• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U Your Opinion

R

Raze

After reading some posts on different topics relating to Wind Waker, I noticed that everyone wont stop dissing it. I was just wondering if there is anyone out there who appreciates the game.
Personally, I think that Wind Waker was a wonderful game. It's graphics changed the overall feeling of the game that was different than any other game.

Please leave your opinion of why you like the Wind Waker or why you don't like it. I'd like to hear what other people think.

The problem lies not in the game itself but with the historical contest in which The Wind Waker was released. Following Spaceworld 2001 fans expected nothing less than a follow-up to their first glance at realistic graphics on Gamecube. Come E3 2002, however, the first Zelda game for the system was something completely different-a "kiddy" cel-shaded title. Despite the uproar caused at E3 with the reveal of Twilight Princess two years later, the memory of betrayal still burned.

Personally The Wind Waker is a superb Zelda game although not my favorite-that title goes to Ocarina of Time. Story was definitely the game's high point. Never before did I feel such an emotional connection to the population of the Zelda universe. Characters like Aryll, Link's Grandma, and Tetra came to life with their bitter tears, compassion, , and sometimes even jealousy. Everything turned 180 degrees when it was revealed that Tetra was in fact the legendary Princess Zelda. The moment came as a complete shock to me and set the stage for a more coherent narrative than the franchise has ever seen before. Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule outlined his schematic for a brighter future, a startling juxtaposition to Ganondorf whose anger for the Gods quickly washed over his pretend calm persona. After defending the Triforce from the clutches of evil the words of the king drowning valiantly with his kingdom carry so much more honor and significance much as a ship captain going down with his vessel. "I have scattered the seeds of the future." As so closes the poignant tale of trump and triumph that is The Wind Waker.

Dungeon design was also superb. The Forsaken Fortress set the unique pace with Link losing his sturdy sword from the get go. While utilizing a smaller arsenal, every item at disposal came in handy throughout the course of the adventure. This same mentality of conservation and efficiency was later transplanted in Skyward Sword. The Wind Waker also set an intriguing precedent with a rematch against all the former bosses prior to the confrontation with Ganondorf.

My only beef with the title is its sailing. Whereas I prefer TWW over its sailing DS sequel, PH had a brighter visage for more efficient travel. Quadrants were compact and easy teleportation was in abundance. That said land travel across Epona shall always remain my favorite for it engages the player in an active manner and provides for little downtime in between urgent quests.

Ninja YoungLink

The Awesome One
The problem lies not in the game itself but with the historical contest in which The Wind Waker was released. Following Spaceworld 2001 fans expected nothing less than a follow-up to their first glance at realistic graphics on Gamecube. Come E3 2002, however, the first Zelda game for the system was something completely different-a "kiddy" cel-shaded title. Despite the uproar caused at E3 with the reveal of Twilight Princess two years later, the memory of betrayal still burned.

Personally The Wind Waker is a superb Zelda game although not my favorite-that title goes to Ocarina of Time. Story was definitely the game's high point. Never before did I feel such an emotional connection to the population of the Zelda universe. Characters like Aryll, Link's Grandma, and Tetra came to life with their bitter tears, compassion, , and sometimes even jealousy. Everything turned 180 degrees when it was revealed that Tetra was in fact the legendary Princess Zelda. The moment came as a complete shock to me and set the stage for a more coherent narrative than the franchise has ever seen before. Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule outlined his schematic for a brighter future, a startling juxtaposition to Ganondorf whose anger for the Gods quickly washed over his pretend calm persona. After defending the Triforce from the clutches of evil the words of the king drowning valiantly with his kingdom carry so much more honor and significance much as a ship captain going down with his vessel. "I have scattered the seeds of the future." As so closes the poignant tale of trump and triumph that is The Wind Waker.

Dungeon design was also superb. The Forsaken Fortress set the unique pace with Link losing his sturdy sword from the get go. While utilizing a smaller arsenal, every item at disposal came in handy throughout the course of the adventure. This same mentality of conservation and efficiency was later transplanted in Skyward Sword. The Wind Waker also set an intriguing precedent with a rematch against all the former bosses prior to the confrontation with Ganondorf.

My only beef with the title is its sailing. Whereas I prefer TWW over its sailing DS sequel, PH had a brighter visage for more efficient travel. Quadrants were compact and easy teleportation was in abundance. That said land travel across Epona shall always remain my favorite for it engages the player in an active manner and provides for little downtime in between urgent quests.
This. It's a overall epic game. But I loved the sailing.

oracleofcanada

never give in brohams!
i love the game for me it was the second zelda game ever. it had a huge expansive world with tons to do, and a really likable art style that fit the game perfectly, and all the emotion link showed was awesome. dont even get me started on the story... it was awesome with tons of characters and even a sort of plot twist...

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I love The Wind Waker, although I haven't played it for around 3 years since giving it to my friend as a trade off haha. The graphics, the cel-shadedness rather, only seem to lend to the game. I don't quite understand the hate for them...just because everything is bright and "kiddy" doesn't mean the adventure is any less of an adventure, am I right? I love everything about the game...

Except for Triforce Shard hunting.

Wind Waker like Twilight Princess are two games in the Zelda franchise that will always be unfoundedly criticised.

Wind Waker for its gameplay and art style.
Twilight Princess for being a self reflexive title knowledgeable of the fact that it was living in OoT's shadow, and serving as fan service for the WW backlash.

It depends who you are, it depends what you played first, it depends on how negatively/positively you see the world and it depends how critical you want to be of a team's hard work and efforts to entertain you for the rest of your life.

For me; the Wind Waker is a wonderfully emotional story of a young man's personal journey of discovery, not only of new lands and friends but of courage, valour and his own self worth and strength of heart. Wind Waker is the only game outside of laying on a thick and heavy cutscene that can fill me with a myriad of wonderful emotions just by playing it. Sailing, walking around Windfall Island and salvaging treasure are all wonderful moments in my gaming history that border on playing a way of life rather than just playing a game. Wind Waker is the strongest Zelda title for me in that it feels real and alive because of the emotion that pours from the screen, its something everyone could feel if they took the time to understand it.
And the same can be said for Twilight Princess if people slowed their lives down long enough to take in all that the game is giving to them.

MW7

My opinion of the game is overwhelmingly positive overall. It's my second favorite video game of this millennium so far (Majora's Mask being my favorite) . I love the overworld set-up, sidequests, minigames, and dungeons. Windfall Island was absolutely awesome with its citizens and establishments. However, I didn't enjoy the dungeons of this game as much as other games in the series although they were very well-designed. Sailing became tedious for me after one playthrough, and I definitely would have enjoyed the game more if sailing was faster or the sea was shrunk. The triforce quest I loved, but I think it would have been better if the pieces of triforce were where the charts were and eliminate the Tingle and chart parts. I really appreciated the homage to the original game with the triforce quest, and the game designers even captured the freedom that the original game possessed in this portion of the game. There are two or three pieces that you can get before even getting the third pearl, and they become available to you as you gain items so you can get them in any order basically.

My number one complaint with the game is a minor detail that the game designers just messed up. I really appreciate allowing the player to go through the game in different sequences (which Wind Waker captured well in some respects like the triforce quest), but the Earth Temple and Wind Temple order is just messed up. The game is designed to seem like you would be able to do the dungeons in either order, but for some reason you can't open the Wind Temple until you finish the Earth Temple. It's clearly a screw-up too because you can get the song for the Wind Temple first- it makes no sense at all to limit players to finishing one dungeon before the other. What makes me mad is that I've heard people claim they've done the Wind Temple first, and this leads me to believe that only certain versions of the game have this mistake in them. I just wanted to get the hookshot ASAP, and my copy of the game doesn't allow this. This is especially frustrating because of how it's set-up to strongly suggest the freedom in choosing which to do first. I'm sure plenty of people assumed you could do them in either order and thereby wasted their time because of the illogical restriction.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I really enjoyed Wind Waker and i only actually played it for the first time a couple of years ago.

I thought the graphics were really good epically for the games and it has really aged well, i thought the gameplay and combat was also very good, the music like all other Zelda games was epically great and some music that stood out for me was the music while you were sailing the great sea and the music inside the Wind Temple, one other thing i thought was great was the story and the way it was told.

I have posted about Wind Waker the other day and it stands out as one of the most controversial Zelda titles to date and even though there were eement about the game that was bad such as the lack of Dungeons and the lack of good bosses but i still think that Wind Waker has had a big impact on the series and it should stand with the heavyweights in the series.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
I... didn't enjoy The Wind Waker. As a game standing by itself, it's great -- all Zelda games are -- but as a title in the series, it seemed a little lackluster to me.

Graphics definitely don't make up a game, but to be honest, TWW's art style pushed me away from it rather than charming me. I wasn't a fan of the bright colors or heavy cel-shading. The character designs were lacking. Everywhere I looked, I felt like I was gazing into some weird... thing, like I don't even know how to describe it. The graphics were so smooth, and that really annoyed me for some reason. :\

I hated the overworld design. Everything. I'm a person who loves to explore, but in TWW, it felt like all of that was limited. In most games, you're able to freely walk wherever you'd like. If I wanted to move a few feet over to a giant boulder and then back to a patch of grass, I could. In this game, you had a boat that you used to traverse a giant sea. It was just water! Even if I wanted to stop to get a Rupee on a barrel or something, I had to turn and jump -- if I missed, I either had to change the wind direction by playing a song or slowly cruise my way over. There were islands that you could actually walk on -- but they were so TINY and small that it was basically nothing. I felt absolutely NO sense of exploration or freedom. I hated traversing the overworld and sometimes having to find things like the Triforce Shards or hidden treasures.

In addition, the movement felt a little... odd. Like how you couldn't roll the moment you started running. I still can't seem to get used to it. The way Link feels when he walks just isn't as, um, light as in other games.

The storyline? I don't know, I honestly didn't feel anything for it. In Skyward Sword, all I could think about was where my best friend is and what happened to her. In TWW, I didn't even remember I was supposed to be saving my little sister. Just... I have no idea why that is.

The dungeons were alright. I wasn't too upset about the game only having 5 dungeons, actually.

The music was nice, but it wasn't enough to get me to love the game.

This is just what I felt about TWW; it just didn't enchant me the same way other Zeldas did. I'm not going to say that the controls, storyline, and graphics are bad -- they aren't; the only thing was that I wasn't drawn in by any of them. I was basically emotionless the whole game, except for those times of annoyance when I'm sailing across the Great Sea. -_-;

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Wind Waker is one of my favorite Zelda games. There's so much I love about it.

Let's start off with the graphics. I'm not gonna tell you I think they're "kiddy" or that they "could have been more mature"; frankly I don't care about those things. Preferences aside, Wind Waker had very good graphics. The cel-shading added depth and beauty to the world, and the colors brought life to the game. Graphics don't make a game, but they certainly don't hurt this one. The world of Wind Waker would certainly not be nearly as beautiful had it not been for it's wonderful art style and graphics style.

Now let's talk about the overworld and it's content. I see a lot of people complain that sailing was tedious. Well it wasn't. At all. Seriously, the islands are not that far apart, and there's plenty to do while sailing. There's a plethora of enemies, pirate platforms, pirate submarines, Big Octos, treasure underneath the waves, not to mention the various islands with secret grottos filled with goodies. There is stuff literally everywhere. The islands are full of content, the ocean is full of content, there's even content under the ocean. (And I'm not even talking about Hyrule.) What more could you possibly ask for?

The overworld also had a wonderful atmosphere. It really was a high-seas adventure. The changes in weather patterns, as well as the day-to-night transitions were beautiful, and very well done. They added to the sense of sailing. Not to mention that wonderful overworld theme.

I also want to touch on the topic of the Wind's Requiem. I see a whole lot of people complain that stopping to change the direction of the wind was tedious and annoying. Well it wasn't. At all. It takes like, ten seconds to change the wind. That' is not a big deal. I'm sure you aren't so unbelievably busy that you can't even spare ten measly seconds to play a short song every once in a while.

Now let's focus on the characters, and that includes Link. Wind Waker has lots of fantastic characters, Tetra being at the top of that list. Tetra is amusing as well as bold, feisty and bright. She's also kind of a tsundere, so that's bonus points for her. :P There's also Niko, who's a pretty funny character. He's always worried about how the others in his crew think of him, and seems to always be aiming to please them. Link's grandmother is a very sweet old lady, and all she wants is for her grandchildren to be happy. Not to mention she makes one heck of a soup. Link himself is also a character, which is what I love most about this game. Wind Waker's Link actually has some personality.

Link has a family for once; a grandmother and a little sister, Aryll. For once, we get to see into Link's personal life, actually this was the first time Link even had a personal life. He was just a normal boy, hanging around on Outset Island with his sister, and he didn't have a great destiny over his head. This is what I loved most. For once, Link started out as nothing more than a normal boy. He wasn't destined to do anything until he conquered the Tower of the Gods, proving he was worthy to be the new Hero. That's what I love about Wind Waker the most.

I also want to talk about the dungeons. I really liked them. They were all visually stunning, as well as creative and fun. The bosses were all pretty neat too. They were pretty easy, but neat nonetheless. Not to mention a lot of them had great soundtracks to go with them, especially Molgera and the Helmaroc King. The difficulty level of the dungeons wasn't too bad either. They had some interesting puzzles, like the mirror puzzles in the Earth Temple. Controlling Medli and Makar was also fun, and I liked the teamwork involved with both of them.

I've said pretty much all I can think of off the top of my head. Overall, I love Wind Waker, and I think it's an amazing game.

Wind Waker is my 2nd favorite game to Skyward Sword. It was my favorite game from the time it was released to the time SS was.. I love absolutely everything about Wind Waker.

Graphics: The graphics really shouldn't have any fault to this game at all. Sure, they looked like a cartoon. That is no different than Twilight Princess looking realistic. It is just simply the type of graphics, whether or not they are executed well or fit the game style is another story. However, the graphics in Wind Waker fit the story PERFECT, seriously people, could you imagine this game and story with any other graphics? Also, they were beautiful! Just because something doesn't look "realistic" or like the real world, doesn't mean it can't be beautiful. Honestly, I would give the graphics a 10/10. There wasn't a single problem I had with them.

Story: The story was so amazing! It started off in such an original way, where you got to experience emotion from the very beginning, and it set up a whole purpose and feel for the rest of the game. When the bird swooped down and stole your sister, you developed this anger towards it, and then you go through the entire forsaken fortress, only to be tossed out by this bird! Your anger and hatrid towards this bird has built up, and finally, after finishing the forsaken fortress again, you get to kill this bird once and for all. Other than that, the actual story with Zelda and Ganon is perfect. Playing along with Tetra the entire time and not knowing she is actually Princess Zelda was crazy! Some people saw it coming, but I thought it was a nice twist. This game has such an amazing story and it was just very fun, 9.3/10.

Gameplay&Controls: The gameplay was nice. I don't have much to say about it, honestly. It had classic controls, nothing special, nothing wrong with it. 8/10

Other:
-Content: The content of this game was amazing! For people who say that there wasn't anything to do and the overworld sucked, you are dead wrong! I loved sailing around and finding these simple islands with big mysteries! I loved sailing also, it was relaxing. I also enjoyed the giant octos, they were interesting, although they terrified me for a reason I don't understand. I found that there was a lot of extra content aside from the main story. Almost every single person on Windfall Island had a mystery or adventure to go along with them! This wasn't the longest game in the world, but it was amazing! 9/10
-Wind Waker: I had so much fun with the wind waker! Yes, controlling the wind was a tad annoying every now and then, but overall I absolutely loved the execution of it! It was so much fun learning all the different songs! 10/10 from me!
Warping: The amount of warp spots was sooooo great. You never had to sail more than two spaces in order to reach wherever you wanted to go, if it wasn't already a warp spot that is. I just wish I could have gotten it sooner. 9/10.
Items: Holy perfect! I loved all of the items! The introduction of the Deku Leaf was so much fun! I loved riding around on the wind! Also, for some reason I really enjoyed the grappling hook. The bow was very fun and simple to use, everything was absolutely perfect. 10/10!
Enemies: I think this game has some of the best varieties of enemies. You encountered so many new kinds of enemies, and the "boring ones" were never used that often. I really liked the difficulty level of many of the enemies. 9/10.
Music: Seriously, this music in this game gives me no complaints. It holds a few of my favorite songs in the entire franchise! The molgera battle, dragon roost island theme, wind waker, the great sea, farewell king hyrule, and of course, Zelda's Lullaby. All of these songs are so great! There are so many more beautiful songs, I love it! 10/10, no doubt.
Bosses: The bosses weren't immensely difficult, but there were quite a few fun bosses! I loved Molgera, Gohdan, and Jahalla. There were a few more fun ones, but these are the three I feel worth mentioning. I had a great time fighting all of these bosses and they all seem to fit the dungeon amazingly! 9/10, they were great!
Supporting Characters: I loved all of the minor characters in this game, aside from ONE person, which I'll get to later, but I'm sure you can guess. Beetle, Makar, and Medli were all so much fun! The romance between Medli and Prince Komali was a nice touch! And I liked the involvement of Makar throughout the whole game. Also, Beedle's cute little compliment cards was fun. The one who annoyed me, was the stupid poor man who wouldn't stop asking me to save his daughter, after I already agreed the first 5,000 times. I hated him so much, I didn't even bother to learn his name. And then he becomes rich and acts like a snob! He was quite annoying, but it was still an interesting part of the game. Tingle was alright, he charged too much to decipher the maps, but at least it gave Rupees a purpose. 9/10.
Dungeons: The dungeons were so great and so much fun! Ah, I loved so many of them! The wind temple, earth temple, tower of the gods, and even the Dragon Roost Cavern were so great! I can't think of anything wrong with the dungeons. They had nice difficulty, a good amount of content, great bosses, it was just great! 9/10.
Difficulty: The game's difficulty fit it well. It wasn't too hard, wasn't too easy. It could have been a little more challenging in some areas, but overall it was nice. 8/10.
Boss Battle: P.E.R.F.E.C.T, it cannot be explained any other way. The puppet ganon battle before the actual ganon battle was so much fun! I loved every single form of it, and it was actually fairly challenging! Then the final battle with Ganon, I found, to be harder than I would have expected. Zelda wouldn't stop shooting ME with the light arrows instead of Ganon. -___- Thought you were on my team Zelda! Anyways, the finaal blow to his head was so absolutely perfect and had such an accomplishing feel to it. This has to be my favorite Ganon battle in Zelda history. 10/10, and if it could be higher, It would.
Final Comments: Overall, this game was very, very fun. It holds may positions in my top 10 favorite songs, dungeons, and bosses lists. A few things I liked about this game other than what I've already covered is when you take the master sword and the entire castle is awakened and filled with monsters. Also, I really liked doing the hunting for triforce shards! This game was so much fun, and there is so much more I could say, but this just a few comments, not an entire review of the game. Overall, Wind Waker gets a 9.5/10. It was such a great game!

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
Oh boy you don't want to get me started on WW... I'll try to keep it short.

Graphics: 10/10. Screw everybody tha doesn't llike the cel-shaded graphics. It's epic. It packs emotion while constantly keeping a bright appearance. It's the least boring game to look at, an the graphics truly give the game a "timeless, smooth" feeling to it

Music: 11/10. IMO best Zelda soundtrack of all time (and I have serious doubts that another will ever surpass it). It's hard to sum it up. This game's music contains some of the best, most catchy, most masterfully put together songs ever in zelda history. EX: main theme, molgera battle, dragon roost island, legendary hero

Story: 10/10. There are 0 flaws within this story. It's amazing and fantastically portrayed. Hero loses his sister, leaves his home to go save her in th big bad worl, and becomes part of something much, MUCH bigger

Gameplay: 9.99999999999/10. IMO some of the best combat Zelda has ever seen (standard buttons, however it felt so much smoother than usual). The dungeons were fantasticly designed and fun, as well as the bosses, puzzles, etc.

NOW THE SAILING. This is one of the biggest problems people have with the game. Admitedly, I hated the triforce shard fetch when i first played the game (before i was a hardcore zelda fan). But I have grown to appreciate it along with the sailing in general. You just feel so free and the visuals are stunning. Being in a small boat on the open sea is pure exploration. And the curiosity of discovering a brand new tiny speck (an island) off in the distance.

WW is my favorite video game of all time.

N

Naomidee

I just recently found Wind Waker at a gamestop near my university (finally!) and I have to say... This game is awesome! There are so many parallels between it and Skyward Sword. Given that Skyward Sword is my favorite Zelda game, I have to say that it's something I really appreciate.

I'm surprised the game gets so much distaste! I think the setting is interesting and refreshing. Personally, I think the art style is wonderful. I especially love the smoke effects of this game. Sure, it's different than the games that come before it, but that's not a bad thing in this case. Although I wouldn't want EVERY future Zelda game in this style, I wouldn't mind a few more. Skyward Sword definitely seems to get its inspiration from Wind Waker (with a mixture of the realistic style in Twilight Princess) and I think it's incredibly well done.

Not to mention, the music and main theme for The Wind Waker is one of my favorites!

I've only just completed the Forest dungeon, but I can't wait for more of this installment of the Zelda series!

A lot of people out there appreciate The Wind Waker. It's a beloved part of the series. I rarely if ever hear complaints about the visual style anymore, and I never had a problem with it myself. It is my least favorite Zelda game and IMO the series' worst title, but that doesn't mean I don't have appreciation for it. I hold all Zelda games in pretty high regard, and I have one of the harshest opinions about The Wind Waker that I've ever encountered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom