• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your opinion on online only games

I haaaaaate online only games.

Firstly I dont like paying for a full price game and then pay for a subscription when i'm already paying for the net at home... then there's usually DLC... sometimes a £50 game can become £150 if you want everything and to play online.

I like playing local multiplayer, with people i know who dont hack or cheat or scream, its enjoyable and a good laugh.

Online though... the amount of Arms and Splatoon matches that i have had ruined by hackers and cheats is unreal. Its not pleasant, yet this happens in every online only game... this is a service youre paying for on top of the game you bought just to be able to play it yet it can be so terrible to play when people take the piss.

So what are your opinions on online only games?

What do you think about having to pay an online subscription after buying the game?

What are your opinions that in maybe ten years when you want to replay Overwatch you wont be able to because the severs wont be running and you'll have spent all that money?

And what about people who hack the games to get a leg up?

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
I have only played several hours of Overwatch and think I got my money's worth out of it. Online only games only really bug me when they are basically single player games that you have to be hooked up to the internet to play for some contrived reason...looking at you Ubisoft.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't like them either, mostly because they're usually competitive. Competitive gaming is not for me at all. If it were like an MMORPG it would depend on the kind of MMO but I would be more interested in it than I would be in something like Overwatch or TF2.

funnier6

Courage~
Only MMORPG's should get to charge anything imo, and the only ones that should be online only. I really like how Splatoon 2 can be local or online and it's such a social game that nobody plays it for the single player mode, and I assume Arms is the same.

Splatoon was the first game where I actually had lots of fun playing competitively with people online (Mario Kart online suckssss) and I never felt like anything was unbalanced or noticed any hackers. Though yeah, paying for a subscription sucks, and I don't think I would pay very much for one no matter how great the game is.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I'm not crazy about online only games. I can see the appeal, but my internet is so inconsistent that it's super inconvenient, so I never bother really.

I feel like online only games should at least offer some offline game play, whether it be a training mode or whatever else. I know some games really are designed with multiplayer in mind, but I think you should at least be able to practice offline or offer local multiplayer options.

Paying an online subscription after purchasing a game is kind of dumb to me, but at the same time, some online games do pretty good at up-keeping their servers and are active with the community and meeting demands, so it's sort of hit and miss. I personally don't like it, but I can also see why some would ask for additional payments.

I hate the idea that you'll likely not be able to play a game in the future because it was entirely dependent on having an online server. I always am fond of going back to games in the future, and will play games that are 10 or 15 years old pretty frequently. Again, a newer game would likely replace the demand and niche that certain games fill, but knowing that you can't go back and play the game that you liked and remembered kind of stinks.

As far as hacking goes, I've never done it, but can sort of see why some people do, but in an online game where hacking affects everyone's enjoyment of the game, I don't really think it should stand. Most online communities I hear of do a pretty good job of banning and dealing with hackers, but I think my favorite was an online FPS (I can't remember the name) taking hackers and putting them in matches where they can only play against other people who have hacked the game, so your advantage is essentially taken away and players are at a (seemingly) even playing field.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
For the most part, I like games that have both capabilities. Like Smash or splatoon. I like the story modes (or just Subspace Emissary <3) and I also enjoy the online multiplayer modes. I also have played games that have only online capabilities like Overwatch and I must say that it is one of my favorite games to date. I think that overall, it's the quality of the game that determines whether it's a good game regardless of whether it is solely online or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom