• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Opinion on Dubstep?

What is your opinion on Dubstep?

• It's amazing!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like it

• I don't like it

• I hate it

• It sounds like a broken computer trying to make music

• Total voters

Hanyou

didn't build that
It's just the latest thing that it's cool to hate, I guess, though I don't have much of an opinion on it and I think the overreaction to it is absurd. Most of the pop music on regular rotation sounds much worse to me than dubstep, which, if nothing else, at least sounds kind of interesting when I do run into it. That's probably because I don't hear it much.

To be completely honest, I can't tell the difference between dubstep and most other electronica, except that dubstep is...louder, I guess? More headache-inducing? I don't know. I'm clearly not the intended audience, because most electronica I've heard sounds atrocious to me...but that's just me. That said, I've heard a Skrillex song, and I actually kind of liked parts of it and didn't think it was half as crazy as people said it was. I've heard King Crimson songs from the 60s and Jazz from the 30s that could run circles around it in terms of how jarring it is. Is it worth getting angry about?

People should like what they like and make fun of what they want to make fun of, but why does dubstep make people so angry? I actually find the ire towards dubstep more confusing than the popularity of dubstep itself.

Last edited:

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
I would think most people on here understand the fundamental difference between dubstep and electronica. If not, let me clarify:

Dubstep

I'd put more examples up, but most videos about dubstep I find are roughly 1 hour long. Kind of annoying, really. Myself, i don't entirely know too much about it, but I know enough to draw the line between it and electronica. Dub is usually dancing music, and can go on for hours. It can have a set structure, and then no structure whatsoever, going on like a Hendrix solo.

Electronica 1

Electronica 2

Electronica 3

Electronica songs are sometimes repetitive, yet each song sounds unique. Though most dub I hear sounds a lot like the other. This being said, its the only qualm I have with dub: lack of variety. Its not as horrible as people rage about, but I wouldn't listen to it or put it on my iPod.

I can't blame people for mixing the two up, but there are differences, you just need several reference points rather than just one or two sources. (But Nintendo_Master, you only provided one dubstep so-SHHH! Shushhyshuusssh!)

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I actually had to search youtube to find out what it even was (man, I feel old), and my conclusion is that I feel rather indifferent about it. I think like most genres out there it can be both good and bad depending on the song. My own personal music taste is that as long as the core melody is good and whatever elements you add to it actually enhances the melody rather than burying it, I tend to like it to some degree or other. It doesn't really matter all that much to me if the elements added is guitar riffs, drumbeats, base, growling or electronic sound effects.

Dan

I've heard some dubstep, I don't think it's really my thing. The game Saints row 3 incorporated quite a lot of dubstep for it's in-game radio station. I didn't know what dubstep actually was back then and I enjoyed some of it, but at the end of the day all genres can be both bad and good. For the most part I dislike it's repetitiveness.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
Dubstep is not my thing at all, i dont really like it, but the story behind the genius who created the Dubstep Formula is just amazing.

EeveeChan

Is FINALLY out of school!
It's fun to listen to when I'm working out, since singing to a song will make me out of breath faster. Its also nice to listen to while I'm doing class/homework, so I won't get off track trying to think of the lyrics or a parody for it. However, I wont listen to nothing but dubstep on my spare time.

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
I freakn love dubstep! I love the bass! I'm just a bass loving girl, there are only a few artists that i listen to though. but all in all i love to listen to dub step.

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
If done properly I can enjoy dubstep, and while that means that I don't always enjoy it, I can still say I don't hate it.

videogamenerd10

Indigo Child
As a rock n roll enthusiast (and songwriter) I can honestly say that I hate dubstep. I'm capable of calling it a type of music but I'm incapable of calling it a good type of music (like rap. Good, now I'll be hated by most of my generation for saying that). But if done right, dubstep can sound good, just the main problem with dubstep is that a lot of it goes the Skrillex approach by being absolutely nothing but loud noises that makes my ears bleed. If you like dubstep, then good; I'm not here to try to change anyone's opinion, I'm just saying that it's in my opinion, a genre of music that came out of nowhere and doesn't work.

Conor

the over analysing guy
I think everyone is entitled to their own taste in music, but personally dubstep makes me sick. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean it makes me sick in the sense that I'm being some pretentious music elitist, I literally feel ill when I hear it, I think its the bass maybe?

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Anyone who knows me knows that I absolutely do not care what is popular and what is not. I like what I like and I hate what I hate no matter what is the popular opinion on it. And I won't censor my opinion for anyone. I do actually love some pop songs. Even though it's more and more popular to just hate them.
Dubstep is the worst form of music ever. It's worse than worship, heavy metal, and rap songs. And it's pretty hard to be worse than rap. But dubstep does it easily. It is painful to listen to. Like Conor said, not the pretenious kind of "fake" painful. But actual pain. It's because it's made of unpleasent sounds. Your body reacts to it. Trying to make music out of unpleasent, uncomfortable sounds is bound to not have wide reception. Why do people still like it? Well... why does nails on a chalkboard bother some people and not others? Everyone's different. The people who do like it just don't seem to be bothered by those sounds. And they need to realize it bothers other people and those people have no choice in whether it bothers them or not.

Dubstep requires no musicianship or talent to create. Therefore I hate it on principal. Beyond that, it just sounds gross. Like... really. It's generally just random noises and dubstep songs are practically indistinguishable because it is impossible to infuse character or charm into something so synthetic and soulless.

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
WEUUUUW, GWAAH GWOOH GRAW GRIH GRIH GRIH GREUUUUW
WUB WUB WUB WUB SKRREEEE ENNGNGNNGNNNNN BSSHHHH WUB WUB WUB WUB
idk it sounds like robots doing the thing
i don't care for it but i don't hate it you feel me
WUB WUB WUB WUB

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
I like dubstep quite a bit. It may be because of my exposure to electronic music from just browsing the depths of youtube, but I enjoy listening to it. Whilst some say it requires no talent to create besides tapping a spacebar, I disagree. All music needs at least some form of musical talent to get pitch, timbre, volume etc right but dubstep just takes less. For example, I have no musical talent besides a talent of listening to it, and I cannot for the life of me even create 8-bit music, let alone dubstep, but I digress. For me I enjoy most of it, but with everything, there is always the bad stuff. Good dubstep (in my opinion) is really good, but when it's bad, it's unlistenable. But like I said, it's like everything else, there's some games I just hate because they're bad, and movies too, and some music I love/hate. Rap is a good example because I can't stand most rap, but there is some that I really enjoy listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom