• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Most Anticipated Games of 2017

Spirit posted a recent thread asking people about what new games they would purchase and play during 2017, but I'm curious to find out what games people are most excited about. With the PS4 picking up heavy steam and the Nintendo Switch on the horizon, there's a lot to talk about.

If I had to choose just three games to discuss, they'd be Horizon: Zero Dawn, 3D Mario Switch, and Mario Kart Switch.

Horizon looks like a beautiful adventure game that reminds me of some of Zelda's best moments. The heroine looks prehistoric but battles mechanical monsters. Talk about Zelda tropes. After their good work on Killzone 2 and 3, I have faith in Guerilla Games to deliver again.

In comparison, we know very little about the 3D Mario and Mario Kart for Switch. That said, a 3D Mario has never let me down, and I have faith in this new installment. As for Mario Kart, I've spent 130 hours on Mario Kart 8, and this looks to be an even better version. I can't wait.

What about you? What 2017 games excite you the most and why?

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
BoTW for obvious reasons.

MHXX, it only has one new monster, but Lao Shun Lung is making a return. It's been about a decade since it's been in a MH game, and I'm really hoping fir a Switch pirt of it. There may also be a data transfer app like in 3U, so I won't have to do that 200+ hours of work all over again.

Lastly, Soul Calibur VI. It's not announced, but bai gawd I'm anticipating it.

Lol I'm surprised BotW completely slipped my mind. I'll add it up there though I'm still cautiously optimistic at this point. I like what we've seen, but I hope the game truly is the revolution Zelda needs. I'm looking forward to learning more about the game's story in the coming months.

Breath of the Wild, obviously, but its hard when i dont know exactly when its coming out.

Tales of Berseria and Gravity Rush 2 are right up there and fortunately theyre coming out in January so i dont have to wait long at all.

There are some Warriors games I'm interested in but because of the kind of games they are I'm not exactly counting the days for what are essentially reskins of games i already own.

Dragon Quest 11 has my eye as do Nier Automata and Yooka Laylee.

Horizon Zero Dawn (man, that title bugs me) is looking cool but i fear it'll be a DLC donkey and be patched to ribbons so i may just wait for a GOTY edition. (Same with FFXV, Tekken 7 and Injustice 2 maybe).

As for others, I'm looking forward to Resident Evil 2 remake since that looks to be the last RE game we'll get that's definitively RE. The Final Fantasy 30th anniversary game is high on my radar too, i havent played most FF games so having 1-9 on one disc will be lovely.

Unfortunately the games I'm interested in only really get me through the first couple of months of 2017 then there's nothing that I'd say i'm counting the days for. But we'll know very soon what the Switch will be bringing, even though all Nintendo have left for me is Zelda and Kirby there's every chance they could thrill me, I'm just not expecting them to...

Last edited:

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
  • Well, Breath of the Wild, for one. Haven't decided what console yet though.
  • Also been really excited for NieR: Automata. It looks like it'll be a good. Hopefully it will be wonderfully edgy and fun.
  • And Monster Hunter XX, though I have yet to delve deeply into Generations. If there's a Switch port, or maybe a brand new MH title for Switch, then I think that'll be good reason to get one, so here's to hoping for that.
  • Probably gonna get that Kingdom Hearts collection for PS4, as I've never played any Kingdom Hearts before and this collection sounds like it'll be an easy way to do that.
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn looks cool, but I think I'll wait to see reviews and whatnot to be on the safe side.
  • Tales of Berseria. Never played a Tales of game before.
  • Nioh looks like it'll be a fun Souls-esque game. Cause y'know, haven't played enough of those already. Anyway, it looks cool.
There will probably be others, like indie games and stuff, but at this point this is what I'm looking at.

Last edited:
Persona 5! This is the main reason I got a PS4, so I can play the next game! I've never played the first or 2nd one, but I'm played 3, 4 and all the spin-offs, including Tokyo Mirage!

EEEEK IM SO EXCITED!!!!:ham:

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
Tokio Mirage is a spinoff of Shin Megami Tensei, not Persona. Same company, tho

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
And Monster Hunter XX, though I have yet to delve deeply into Generations. If there's a Switch port, or maybe a brand new MH title for Switch, then I think that'll be good reason to get one, so here's to hoping for that.

I got Generations, and I can't get into it because it's on handheld. It's just not the same as on a console with a proper controller with a proper dual analog control scheme. As much as I wanted to get into it, I couldn't. If the Switch gets a real, proper MH game, that will also swing me towards getting a Switch.

Tales of Berseria. Never played a Tales of game before.

Tales is one of my very favorite JRPG series. Excellent games.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
I got Generations, and I can't get into it because it's on handheld. It's just not the same as on a console with a proper controller with a proper dual analog control scheme. As much as I wanted to get into it, I couldn't. If the Switch gets a real, proper MH game, that will also swing me towards getting a Switch.

I've actually only played Monster Hunter on an original 3DS. Started with 3 Ultimate and have gotten every entry since. It's become one of my favorite franchises and possibly my most played (if you combine all of my playtime for every title). I've gotten used to the camera and just use the D-pad thing you can set on the lower screen. I've just recently gotten a new 3DS with the little nipple thing, so we'll see how that goes.

Tales is one of my very favorite JRPG series. Excellent games.

As an "expert" on the series, should I get this newest one, or should I get one of the earlier titles first?

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
As an "expert" on the series, should I get this newest one, or should I get one of the earlier titles first?

Well, I don't have either PS4 or XBO, so I haven't played the newest ones. The last one I played was Vesperia, for 360, and it was very good. I also just now got a PS3, so I haven't gotten the PS3-exclusives, though I did play Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, which was better than the critics gave it credit for.

I've played Tales of Phantasia through Vesperia (some more than others). However, my favorite one of all time is Tales of Symphonia, for the GameCube. It also came out for PS2, but it's quantifiably inferior to the GameCube version.

"Modern" Tales started with Symphonia. It was the first real one that allowed for real-time battles wherein you could move around freely. The games before that allowed for linear side-to-side movement, but not in a true 3D environment. I'm not saying that's bad, I'm just saying the combat system that the Tales series is known for today didn't start until Symphonia.

Long story short, I can only recommend the ones I've played, and those are the earlier titles. I recommend Tales of Symphonia, personally, since it's my favorite.

I've actually only played Monster Hunter on an original 3DS. Started with 3 Ultimate and have gotten every entry since. It's become one of my favorite franchises and possibly my most played (if you combine all of my playtime for every title). I've gotten used to the camera and just use the D-pad thing you can set on the lower screen. I've just recently gotten a new 3DS with the little nipple thing, so we'll see how that goes.

Tales of Xillia on the ps3 is one of the best Tales games there is. However Tales of Zestiria that came after it was plagued with problems and bad choices. Berseria seems to have none of those same problems though. There is a demo for Berseria coming out on the tenth if youre curious.

As for playing previous Tales games, Tales is like Final Fantasy where very few of the games actually link together unless theyre direct sequels. Berseria is a distant prequel to Zestiria but tbeyre so distantly linked that not playing Zestiria wont ruin the Berseria experience.

Plus theres an anime for Zestiria and Berseria called The X (cross) the first season is half berseria and half zestiria so you can just watch half for the game you dont play since its just an anime of the story of both games.

My top Tales games are Xillia (ps3), Graces(ps3), Symphonia(GC/ps3), Abyss(ps2/3ds), Versperia(360).

Very few Tales games exist in Europe so i havent played most of them. Hearts R exists on the vita but i aint buying a vita to play it.

Also note that most Tales direct sequels suck royal. I love Xillia and Symphonia but i really didnt like Xillia 2 or Symphonia 2

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I don't tend to get excited for a lot of games. I have no current-gen consoles (and don't plan on getting the Switch immediately), and really most of my gaming is PC-based. Even among that it's rare I shell out more than $20-30 for a game. However, I was a huge fan of the first Injustice game, and am therefore looking forward to the sequel that'll be coming out sometime this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom