• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Your Master Quest Misadventures

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
Master Quest messed me up a lot while I was playing it. I believe what I thought most frequently was......
......huh? :blank: HUH? WHAT? WHAAAAAT?
JUST NOW THAT DIDN'T MAKE ANY SE--

6075128cut.png

--So anyways. ^ That was my face.

My mind reeled in unusual directions....often. In fact, the more I had OoT memorized the more that worked against me. You instinctively pick up the familiarity of the environment, yet simultaneously catch vibes that everything is....amiss. Your intuition wants you to do one thing....yet it is wrong. Everything is wrong. It's.....weird.

One of the biggest screw-overs MQ played on me was in Jabu-Jabu's belly. Everyone already knows about the cows....this isn't even about that though. You will probably laugh at me for this... :lol:

This was in one of the chambers below, though I'm not positive I remember which one it was, I do believe it was the one with all the shaboms originally in OoT (where you find the compass): (The lovely image below is accredited to ZD's own awesome OoT walkthrough ^^)

--------------------------------
downarrowt.gif

mapjabujabu3c.png

So....when I stepped into that room in MQ, as you might guess, shaboms were not what greeted me. In fact....nothing greeted me. Well at that point, I already knew something was up.....but I didn't think anything would be literally up. Cue me stepping in, and then I started hearing the noise that I probably dread more than any other noise in Zelda. xD So I snapped to attention and whirled around briskly using Z-targeting to switch in on different perspectives as swiftly as I could since I knew what should have been coming, yet there was NOTHING THERE!!! Yet the noise was GETTING LOUDER and then all of a sudden out of nowhere THERE WAS A LIKE-LIKE RIGHT BEHIND ME! And while I was sitting there freaking out about where it had come from since I KNEW it hadn't been there just a second ago, I killed it off in the jumpy quick way I always kill Like-Likes because they've always creeped me out; when it comes to Like-Likes, I always feel the need to get rid of them as swiftly as I can so I can be done with them. But then I'd hardly killed that one before out of nowhere there were suddenly MORE JUST RANDOMLY APPEARING! Furthermore, I was getting the feeling that they were actually falling out of the ceiling, yet whenever I looked up there was nothing there! What the.....what gives MQ? You want to rain Like-Likes on me? Completely freaked me out, because in the midst of stopping to hit one Like-Like, the entire time the noise of other Like-Likes would be sending my ears shivers of warning in the background, reminding me that there could be another one any second to RANDOMLY SURPRISE ME BY APPEARING RIGHT BEHIND ME, and so I'd kill one and then breathe for hardly half a second before ANOTHER ONE and ANOTHER ONE would come down PRACTICALLY RIGHT ON TOP OF ME. And I do particularly despise being in close range of a Like-Like, especially if it takes me by surprise, or if I'm not ready for it...which would be a good description of that entire room. I...I shake my fist at you MQ....

Though to be fair, I might be remembering the experience slightly differently than how it happened exactly (for example, I don't remember how many Like-Likes there actually were) but this is how I remember it thanks to that particularly pleasant experience the game decided to ingrain my memory with.

And of course, the entire time sitting next to me was my friend, who sat there laughing at my overreactive antics the whole way through. (After I told him I thought Like-Likes looked like expired slimy man-eating cakes with holes in the middle, he told me he'd make me one for my Birthday....I told him I'd put an Elegy of Emptiness statue in his room~ ^^)

After that incident, I completely stopped trusting MQ. I remained suspicious of everything, in every puzzle of every room.... :suspicious:

MQ drove me a little nuts in other rooms too. I'm sticking with just this story though~ :P

Anyone else have any "misadventures" they had playing Master Quest that they'd like to share? :wave:
(I declare this the official MQ Misadventures thread >:-D)

Last edited:

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
You shouldn't be that surprised. The same kind of thing was in the Spirit Temple.

Like-Like's happen to somewhat bother me though. And even though I expected MQ to surprise me....it still surprised me. That's just how it happened. I was just relaying to you my experience, regardless of whether I "should" or "shouldn't" have felt something (you don't really pick the way in which you experience something....) ^^

This is mostly supposed to be a "tell an interesting story you remember from playing MQ" thread anyway.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I was stuck in Dodongo's Cavern, in the room with the giant staircase, where you need the white rupees. It took me two days to realize that you can roll into crates to destroy them instead of using bombs. And I'd played through the entire normal OoT thinking the same thing before I tried MQ.
I literally gave myself the Backhand of Failure for that. :)

By the way, that picture of Link is SO my new avy! :D

EDIT: Meh, I like this avy better. I'll make that pic my profile pic instead.

Last edited:
In Spirit Temple, you know? It was that room in the temple entrance to the right (with the gushing geyser blocking your way). I didn't know how to get over there. I wanted to know what was over there so bad, too. There was no lever, button, crystal, or anything to deactivate the gushing water. I knew for sure I got past that part before, but I couldn't remember just how I did it. I used "glitch tactics" to L-target forward slash at the corner of the geyser. After trail and error, I eventually got over to the other side. Only to find out there were silver coins that I had to collect (that's a story for another day). That's not the last of it. I found out that there was a door in the main room of the temple (where the entrance to Twinrova is) that led to the very room I spent days trying to enter.*facepalm* Too bad there was nothing important in those doors. That spontaneous-looking Moblin was cool though, I guess.

Sarianae

Infinite Dreamer
Bumping this thread since people have fresh new experiences of MQ on OoT3D. Though while I'm at it, I never replied to you guys...

I was stuck in Dodongo's Cavern, in the room with the giant staircase, where you need the white rupees. It took me two days to realize that you can roll into crates to destroy them instead of using bombs. And I'd played through the entire normal OoT thinking the same thing before I tried MQ.
I literally gave myself the Backhand of Failure for that. :)

I assure you I've done worse, though I won't elaborate~ ^^

Hmm, while I did know about that in MQ, there was a time while playing OoT when I thought the same thing myself. It wasn't a puzzle requirement for anything in OoT though so it didn't give me trouble the same way.

I suppose there are certain things that you don't realize would give you trouble if you didn't already know about them.

Here's a different example: for me, I didn't know you could make the bomb flowers on the walls drop by walking past them with a lit deku stick. That wasn't required knowledge in OoT, but they made it mandatory for the main quest in Dodongo's Cavern in MQ.

In Spirit Temple, you know? It was that room in the temple entrance to the right (with the gushing geyser blocking your way). I didn't know how to get over there. I wanted to know what was over there so bad, too. There was no lever, button, crystal, or anything to deactivate the gushing water. I knew for sure I got past that part before, but I couldn't remember just how I did it. I used "glitch tactics" to L-target forward slash at the corner of the geyser. After trail and error, I eventually got over to the other side. Only to find out there were silver coins that I had to collect (that's a story for another day). That's not the last of it. I found out that there was a door in the main room of the temple (where the entrance to Twinrova is) that led to the very room I spent days trying to enter.*facepalm* Too bad there was nothing important in those doors. That spontaneous-looking Moblin was cool though, I guess.

Ah yes, I recall the gushing water and the silver rupees. And I do remember that room with the Moblin among the boulders...wasn't it an optional room? I'm pretty sure it was locked and you had to go find that missing key...and I'm pretty sure you had to return to the past to go get the extra key and come back....yeah the Spirit Temple overall was a bit of a throw-off...

...what am I talking about? The entirety of MQ is a throw-off.

On another note, I'm interested in hearing your "story for another day." ^^ Care to tell?

Big Octo

=^)
I remember the horrors of the fire temple.... For instance, when I had to use Din's fire, My magic would run low, I'd leave the room to find some, come back in, and the torches would be reset! :mad: And the second flare dancer, I remember killing, and then searching every corner of the room for a key, and eventually find it under the elevator. And after doing that, all I got was one golden skulltala!

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
The only time I have been stuck in MQ so far was in the shadow temple where for a while I didnt understand that you had to shoot the middle one of the three eyes. I thought you had to kill the two eye switches that shot fire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom