• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your History with Video Games

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I don't remember how old I was, but I was still in single digits age-wise. My first console was the NES and my first game was Super Mario Bros. My older sister (6,5 years older than me) and I used to compete who would make it the furthest without losing a life. Although she enjoyed playing the games, she didn't get the same amount of enthusiasm as me, so eventually she offered to let me "buy her out" on the NES that I had originally bought together with her. I agreed and the NES became purely mine and I started buying several games for it. I had it for years and it wasn't until I was 14 and had scored my first job that I got another console. I saved up for a couple of months and I bought myself the N64, first game there was Mario 64, but one of the neighborhood kids introduced me to OoT, which became my first Zelda.

I bought Majora's Mask second hand, and although I liked it a lot I still preferred playing OoT. I think this combined with the revelation of the graphics for WW was the reason I didn't even consider buying the GameCube. Instead I wished for an X-box for Christmas, because there was going to be a Buffy the Vampire Slayer (my favorite show on television) game released on it. It was more expensive than the usual type of gifts my parents got me, so I suggested joining forces with the grandparents, insisting I'd be much happier with that one bigger present than several smaller ones. In the end my parents decided to give me the X-box themselves and my siblings surprised me by pooling their resources into buying me the Buffy game (I had planned on saving up for it myself), so I was the happiest kid ever that Christmas.

I bougt myself a playstation during my high school years, but a couple of years later realized I had no real interest in anything on the playstation that weren't available on other consoles, so I sold it at a local marketplace. Through the x-box I got introduced to Fable, so when I learned that Fable 2 was to be relased for the new x-box 360 (I had also learned that TP was coming out on the wii) I decided to upgrade to the 360 first. I got to try TP on a friend's wii and that definitely helped my desire to get a wii and my own copy of TP.

To this day, the consoles I own are N64, 360 and wii. My NES went to my cousins (and died within a few months) and my x-box went to my cousin (at first she merely borrowed it, but when she moved away, I decided she might as well take it with her considering I didn't need it considering I have my 360. I bought my 3DS last year anticipating the release of OoT3D and it's my first and only handheld. To this day I have no real plan on buying another console. I really enjoy the ones I have, and until there's a really good game making a new console worthwhile I will continue enjoying the ones I have :)

Hmm...interesting. Let me think.

Ok, so I got a N64 for my 4th birthday(2003)with the games Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, Mario Kart 64, Yoshi's Story, Madden NFL 2001, MLB All-Star Baseball 2001, NHL 99, NASCAR 2000, and Lego Racing. I played all these games to death. Mario 64 and NHL 99 being my favorites. The next year one of my best friends bought something called a Gamecube. I fell in love with it, and I got it for Christmas that year with Mario Kart: Double Dash, Super Mario Sunshine, and NCAA Football 05. I didn't get many other Gamecube games besides these, and I fell out of gaming for a couple of months. Then, I saw the Game Boy Advance SP bundled with a game of a recent movie I had seen (Madagascar). I also got Super Mario Bros. 3 Remake with it. Once again my Gamecube and Gameboy remained dormant for a while. This time being until Christmas 2006. My parents surprised us with a Wii. It came with Twilight Princess and Wii Sports. Those were basically the only games I had until I got an Xbox 360 for my b-day in 2009. It came with Modern Warfare 2. I fell in love with COD, and that's all I played until I saw someone play Super Mario Galaxy 2. I realized that I was the immature one calling Nintendo lovers babies. I then got Skyward Sword this previous Christmas, and currently I am testing the waters with some prequels to Wii U launch/launch window games (Rayman Origins, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Darksiders, Assassin's Creed [all of them]) and eagerly anticipating it.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
one of my earliest memories is probably 4 or 5 play the snes the only game i remember is alttp then a n64 with oot mm Goldeneye Fzero and 1080 snow boarding (idk y i sold goldeneye fzero and 1080) then a gameboy color with pokemon blue (both were lost/sold) then a gamecube with luigis mansion and ww a ps2 with dynasty warriors then a xbox360 with halo fallout 3 oblivion and borderlands then lastly a wii with tp

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I vaguely remember some stuff with the Atari 2600, but I was too young to really know what I was doing.

I really started with the SNES. I had a few games I played, but the four I played to no end were Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario World, and Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2. I didn't even know All-Stars was a remastered version of the NES classics. Even nowadays I boot up DKC2 and see if I can get to that blasted volcano in the Secret World.

Next was the N64. Same deal, there were a few other games that were interesting, like Olympics '96, NFL Blitz, Mario Party, and Pokemon Stadium. But the three I played most was Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros. and Goldeneye. I loved roaming around the castle in Mario 64 finding all the stars, and I played the ever-loving crap out of Goldeneye (still my favorite shooter, and the only game my dad is actually good enough to compete with) and Smash Bros. I also went over to my neighbor's place and play Crash Bandicoot sometimes.

I didn't actually get into the Zelda series until I got the GameCube with the collector's edition. That's when I discovered the wonders that are Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, and when I found out I didn't particularly care for the original NES games. I also got Smash Bros. Melee around the same time. A year or so after that, I discovered Metroid Prime, and I never looked back; I go back to it and Prime 2 every so often even nowadays. I played those games constantly when in late 2006 I got Twilight Princess, which I really liked. I also went over to that same neighbor as before and played GTA3 and God of War on the PS2 a lot, and I played a lot of local Halo multiplayer, which was awesome.

Summer 2007 was when I finally got into the Pokemon main games; I had the cards as a little kid but for some reason never got any of the GameBoy games. I've been ensnared ever since, with me putting hundreds of hours into Diamond, Emerald, and SoulSiver each, and probably Black 2 when it comes out. I also got Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks and found them to be quite adequate for a portable title. Since I've been in college since 2008, most of my recent gaming experiences have been with the DS and with an emulator on my PC. I played Chrono Trigger on my DS and Final Fantasy 6 on the emulator, and these two are my favorite RPG's. I also played Fire Emblem, Metroid Fusion, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons and Ages, and Minish Cap on this emulator as well. Eventually I got around to the Orange Box and Portal 2 on PC, and I had a lot of fun with those.

Two winters ago I was really bored, so a friend lent me Wind Waker, and while I was very skeptical at first, I warmed up to it and quite enjoyed the experience.

Jump to November of last year when I finally got a Wii for Skyward Sword. I also had Mario Kart Wii, but some ******* stole it. I also got Metroid Prime 3, Wind Waker (to own), and Okami soon after. I didn't expect to get a 360 from my brother with Halo 3 and Elder Scrolls: Oblivion for Christmas, though, which was a really cool surprise. I soon got bored with Oblivion, but I picked up the Metal Gear Solid HD pack for 360 in January, which I'm still working through.

As for the future, I'm really looking forward to Pokemon Black 2, Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?, Assassin's Creed 3, and of course the new Zelda game, whenever they decide to get around to it!

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
Well it might be a pretty long read but here goes
SNES
My sister owned a SNES, and as she says ever since I was about 6 months old I loved to watch her play it. She owned Super Mario World, Super Mario All Stars, A Link to the Past, and all the Donkey Kong Country games. My most recent memory is the day I turned 3, I played Mario World with her. We would play it all the time when she got home from school, my mom liked to play Link to the Past while she was gone. I never played it when I was younger though, I said it looked too hard so I enjoyed watching her play it. One day I spent the night over my grandpas house, and my cousin was over who also had an SNES. She liked Super Mario RPG, so she played that. When we had to leave my dad helped me get all my things, but I guess he figured that all the SNES games were mine because the next day I found Mario RPG in my bag. I never got the chance to give it back to her, as that was my last day seeing her. I do love that game though.

Nintendo 64
Me and my mom were walking around the store, we noticed they had a deal going on for N64 where you get 2 free games if you buy one. She knew I wanted to get one. So I got Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64 for free, and she bought a second controller. We got home and played Mario Kart for a few hours, it was a good time. On my 4th birthday my uncle got me Ocarina of Time, which I was amazed by at first sight because it was the first game I've ever seen with a gold cartridge. Knowing her love for A Link to the Past, I knew my mom would love this game more than me so I let her play it first. I sucked at Legend of Zelda, so I still just watched her play it. I also learned how to read from it, as she would read everything the characters said. Her and I had a lot of fun playing through it, and we still love the game to death. When Majoras Mask came out, we did the same thing. I got other games I love for it too, Spiderman, Goldeneye, Star Fox 64, Kirby 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Donkey Kong 64, and Paper Mario are the ones I remember most.

Gamecube
My Grandma got me one of these for Christmas in 2001, with Luigi's Mansion. I love that game, and it's part of the reason why Luigi is my and my Grandmas favorite Mario character. Around this time I met a new friend who had a N64, Gamecube, and PS2. We didn't play the N64 that much, and I'll get to the PS2 part later. I would go over his house pretty much everyday, and we'd play Super Smash Bros Melee to no end. Like seriously, it was practically a daily routine to play it for at least 3 hours. Probably wasn't good for us, but it was worth it. Then came the day my mom got the Zelda CE disk, I finally started to play the series for my own. The Wind Waker demo, and Zelda 1-2 were cool, but I played OoT and MM all the time. One of my previous "friends" borrowed it and moved away with it...so I haven't seen it since 2005 or so. We actually had to buy another gamecube around 2004, I guess my old one overheated or something. We still don't know what happened to it. When I got a new one I was so glad my old memory card still worked, and got Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door with it. Another game I just loved and played all the time. When Twilight Princess came out we couldn't afford a Wii, so we just waited a month for the GC version. And I don't regret it, I own both versions now and I prefer the GC version anyday. I'm not sure I appreciated it as much back then, but looking at it now I feel a lot more nostalgic for OoT and MM, but I have to say Twilight Princess is my favorite game now. Some people hate it, I personally love it to death. That, and Luigi's Mansion are my favorite GC games. Some others I got were: Spiderman 1, Spiderman 2, Super Mario Sunshine, Pikmin 1, Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Wind Waker, and Star Fox Assault.

Wii
I got one of these for my 12th birthday in 2007 with Super Paper Mario, which is the main reason why I wanted to get one because that's one of my favorite series. I wasn't very disappointed with it like others are, but I do admit it wasn't as fun as the first 2. We finally got internet service in 2008 just for it, but had no computer. I know, sounds weird. Having internet but no computer. So I downloaded a bunch of Virtual Console games, ones for I missed out on and ones for nostalgic purposes. I used the internet browser channel on it for youtube, and some other pages. I met some people over it and we traded Smash Brothers Brawl friend codes, they turned out to be the best friends I ever had and I still talk to them a lot. Most people say the Wii online service sucks, and to be fair yes it kind of does if you compare it to XBL or PSN. But it holds a special place in my heart because if it weren't for it, I wouldn't know the friends I have now. Everything else that came out for the Wii after that wasn't so great or memorable IMO, I mean I got the games for it and had fun with them while they lasted but after a month or so they just sat on the shelf. Even Skyward Sword, I wasn't really excited for it because I thought they were going to just dumb everything down like they have usually been doing lately. Of course me being a loyal Zelda fan I got it day one and was proven wrong, as it is a great game and no doubt at all in the best of Wii games. Not as great to me as the previous games in the series, but it delivered.

Handhelds
I don't have much of a history with handhelds so I'll just put them all here. My brothers owned a Gameboy color and their only games for it were Pokemon Red and Blue, so we took turns playing them on the go whenever we were out. Only game for it that I got was Pokemon Silver, which is still my favorite Pokemon game. I got a Gameboy Advance SP while it was on sale with Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga. That and the Minish Cap were the only games I had for it, but I didn't like the Minish Cap that much so I just continued to play Superstar Saga. I never owned any sort of DS for myself until the 3DS, as the games on them gave me little to no interest besides Mario & Luigi 2 and 3, so I just played those on a friends DS Lite. With the 3DS I got OoT3D which was nice to see with updated graphics, and the ability to play it wherever. Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 were nice, but pretty short lived. More recently I tried out Kid Icarus: Uprising, but it's really another game I just don't see what's so great about. Downloaded games I missed out on, like Links Awakening and Kirbys Dream Land. I always thought the PSP had no good games besides the 2 God of War games it has, and the PS Vita is the same for me. Sony just does not interest me with Handhelds.

PS1
I never owned one of these, only games I liked for it was the Crash Bandicoot series. I played Spyro the Dragon as well, but I just don't see what's so great about it. But the startup sound for the system makes me feel pretty nostalgic. My brother would play Final Fantasy 7 on his, but again I just don't see what's so great about it.

PS2
I was never interested in one of these because I thought it would be the same as PS1 for me. My best friend had a PS2 with Sly Cooper 1&2, and those games alone made me want a PS2 for myself. When the third game came out Gamestop or Walmart had a deal you would get all 3 of them for free with a purchase of a PS2, so that's when I got one. Didn't own very many other games for it. But there was this Hulk game, Ultimate Destruction I believe it was called. It was awesome, pretty much GTA...with Hulk instead. Of course I didn't own any of the God of War games back then, because my mom didn't let me buy rated M games until I was 15 which I'm grateful for. I really like the series, but it's overrated IMO. Last thing I did with it was Star Wars Battlefront 2, and all I can say is I'm disappointed that the third was canceled.

PS3
I didn't even think about getting one of these until 2010 because you know...FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE U.S. DOLLORS. But one of my friends got one with Sonic 2006...Sonic games haven't been the same to us ever since, he traded it in a week later. When I got one I started to buy Blu Rays instead of DVDs because I don't buy movies that often anyway, so why not get the best quality for the ones I do buy. I enjoy most of the series on it, like Uncharted, Infamous, God of War, Killzone, etc. I'm not really waiting for much to come out for it at the moment, I'll just get whatever does and see how it is.

Xbox
I always hated this thing, the controller was ugly and the only thing it had was Halo 1 and 2.

Xbox 360
I turned out liking this system a lot more than I thought I would. When I got one I got Halo 3, Call of Duty: World at War, and Left 4 Dead. Playing a random Versus game of L4D I met someone who is now currently my best friend. Call of Duty World at War is in my opinion the best Call of Duty ever, second being Black Ops. I enjoyed the campaign the most out of them all, the multiplayer actually interested me, and zombies...I just love this mode so much. The storyline in it is great, and the maps are all fun to play. I still play Black Ops zombies a lot. While I do think that Call of Duty is no doubt the most overrated series of all time, I honestly can't wait for Black Ops 2. But again, only for zombies. Multiplayer and campaign from that series just don't interest me anymore. I really can't go into detail for every single game I've had such a great time with on this system, because that would take forever. One series I will note is Assassins Creed, this series to me is just amazing and I can't wait for 3.

PC
I pretty much only play Valve games on my computer...yeah that's it.

So yeah that's it, sorry about the mega post. Video games are practically a way of living for me :lol:

Last edited:

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
It all started for me when I was about 5 and I got a SNES from my uncle. I also got Super Mario all stars (With Super Mario World) with the console and this was my first game. Other games I somehow ended up with are Donkey Kong Country (2 and 3), Bubsy (Claws Encounters of the Furred Kind), Super Mario Kart and others I can't remember right now.

I received a Game Boy Advance from my aunt for my birthday one year, I played games like Donkey Kong Land, Tetris and Game and Watch gallery 3. Somehow I also ended up with an origional Game Boy.

Around the time I got the GBA my parents got me a N64, my next door neighbours also had a N64 console and there were 4 of us kids at the time so we had a great time together with multiplayer. We played games like Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, Pokémon Stadium, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario Kart 64 and Banjo-Kazooie.

A couple of years later I received a DS lite for my birthday, my favourite games include Animal Crossing, Pokémon Diamond, Pokemon White and Mario Party DS.

Since then I have bought myself: NES, Game Cube, DS, DSi, 3DS and Wii. I love gaming and hope to continue playing till the day I die.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Aside from what I played at my friends' houses – I've forgotten what most of them had, although I do distinctly remember watching my friend in second grade play Kingdom Hearts – my first experience with video games was at my aunt's house. I don't visit them often; just a month ago I saw them, and that was for the first time in a good five years or so. But I do remember, when my sister and I were very young, they owned a Nintendo 64. I don't know if they had any other games, because the only thing we played was Mario Kart. And we loved it to death.

A few years later, our parents finally purchased a GameCube, along with Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and Animal Crossing. My sister and I played those games to death. After that, our parents bought us many games, most of which I no longer play. Sometime in there, they got Super Smash Bros. Melee, which instantly became our favorite. I remember spending my fourth grade lunches talking about video games, especially Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, and Animal Crossing, with my friends. My character was Pikachu, since I was obsessed with Pokémon when I was little (even before I had any of the games), and my sister liked Zelda. (I remember when we used to think that Sheik was an entirely separate person...) Her love of Zelda is what made us convince our parents to buy a Zelda game.

My dad bought us The Wind Waker. When we first played it, we actually didn't like it all too much. I mean, there wasn't even the "Zelda" character that we liked in Melee. Plus, we got stuck in Forsaken Fortress – although it wasn't entirely our fault. Our television's brightness settings were so low that we could hardly see a thing in such a dark area. I remember trying to crawl against the darkened walls of the prison cell in every possible spot, attempting to follow Tetra's advice of finding a "small hole" to crawl through.

About a year later, the magic of the Internet introduced us to a walkthrough, and we finally found a searchlight that we'd always missed and made it up to the top of the tower, at long last leaving Forsaken Fortress. After that, we were in love with the game; I spent so many hours on there. We decided that Zelda games were awesome.

Some time after the release of the Nintendo DS, I got a DS Lite for Christmas. My first game was Nintendogs. Soon after, we discovered the existence of Phantom Hourglass, the sequel to one of our favorite GameCube games, so we got that as well. My sister also got a DS Lite for her birthday.

Our parents once again pulled through with a Nintendo Wii for Christmas some time after. I got Pro in Wii Sports Tennis within two days of playing the system. It also came with Wii Play, but we didn't really care about it as much. Just a year later, I started begging my parents for Twilight Princess, because, I mean, it was another Zelda game, just like our beloved Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass! Of course, at that age, I was old enough that they made me buy it myself. So I did. I bought it used at GameStop, along with Super Smash Bros. Brawl. To this day those two games remain among those with the highest amount of play time on my Wii; only Skyward Sword has managed to top TP. (But Brawl's still first!)

At Christmas some time after (you can tell I really don't know what years all of this stuff happened in), my sister and I traded in our DS Lites for the then-new DSi. Around the same time, I discovered the Ocarina of Time manga at Barnes and Noble, when the first volume was new and the only one translated. I read it just because it was Zelda, and I adored it so much that I bought Ocarina of Time on the Wii Virtual Console, just to compare it. I almost bought Starfox 64 instead... where would I be now if that had happened? ;)

By 2009, I had Majora's Mask and LttP in the Virtual Console as well, and I was eagerly awaiting Spirit Tracks (perhaps TOO eagerly, if my embarrassingly hyper blog posts are any indication) along with the rest of the fandom. ST became the first game I ever preordered. I also liked browsing through rumors about Zelda Wii, which ended up being a waste of time in the end, but you know...

In 2010, I got even more Zelda games via Virtual Console, and I also received The Minish Cap from my evil friend who knew I didn't have a GameBoy Advance to play it on. Fortunately, one of my nicer friends let me borrow their DS Lite. I heard about Skyward Sword at E3, and my new obsession was revealed.

In 2011, I got LoZ and AoL on the Virtual Console in celebration of the series' twenty-fifth anniversary (at least, that's what I told myself). My friend so kindly gave me his GameBoy Advance. It's not in the best condition – the charger and battery are gone, and the screen's pretty scratched up – but I love it all the same. He also happened to have Oracle of Ages, which I stupidly brought to school and ended up losing. After losing it, I got OoS from a friend at school, which always frustrated me since I knew I'd finally have all of the games if I hadn't lost its counterpart. I also preordered Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time 3D. I ended up getting OoT 3D before I even had a 3DS, although I got one online within a week of the game's release. I also got LA DX on the 3DS Virtual Console, and a ton of Ambassador games. Finally, after literally counting down the days, Skyward Sword was released, and that was my love for a long time. My sister also bought herself Portal 2, one of our first REAL PC games, around the same time. We also got Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon for Wii, which is pretty awesome...

This year, I got Kid Icarus: Uprising and Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Oh, and I bought a new copy of Oracle of Ages online to replace the one I lost. ...I really think that's it for video game purchases. As you can tell, most of my gaming life revolves around The Legend of Zelda. In short, the consoles I currently own are the GC, GBA, Wii, DSi, and 3DS.

...I honestly have no idea what I just wrote, and there's no way I'm rereading that block of text, so congrats to you if you got through it.

The early years

I started with an SNES. I played it a lot when I was a child, along with a few childhood friends. The games we played was Super Mario World, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Turtles in Time, among others. However, the ones we played the most was mario and zelda. When we played Mario and beat it, our reaction was like "Wait, this game can be beat?" We never wanted it to end. As for Zelda, we didn't play the game just to beat it. We tried to find every secret in the game.

Those same childhood friends also had an NES which we played quite a bit. There's a few games I find nostalgic but it was mainly the SNES that had the most impact on me during that time.

The N64 era

To this day, my favourite Nintendo console remains the SNES, but it was the N64 I spent the most time playing. Go figure. Unfortunately, my next Mario didn't come along until Galaxy so I missed out on a few good Mario games.

One of my childhood friends and I played hours on Perfect Dark. It was almost an obsession to try and unlock everything. Of course, we didn't but we did manage to unlock a few tricky ones.

A few other multiplayer games we played quite a bit was Mario Party 1 & 2 (never cared for the third one) and SSB.

I also played hours of Ocarina of Time. So much that I doubt I’ll ever be able to forget it.

Also, it was around this time that I got into the RPG genre after playing Pokemon on the Game Boy.

The Playstation 2 and Gamecube era

I spent the sixth generation hooked on the PS2. I spent my time playing Final Fantasy X, Grand Theft Auto, James Bond Nightfire and Guitar Hero. Those were the games I usually played.

It wasn’t until mid-2006 that I decided to purchase a GC in preparation for TP. I wasn’t as quite as fond as Nintendo during this era. Seeing the trailers for TP meant Nintendo was back in my radar once again. While I was waiting for TP to come out, I purchased TWW and Zelda’s Collector Edition. I have to admit that, while building my GC library, (to this, it’s still a work in progress) it got me interested in the Resident Evil franchise. I started playing RE 4 and I tried finding the rest of the series on the GC. I’m still trying to find the second installment.

The 360, Wii and PS3 era

I first purchased a 360 in 2008. Everything was fine at first. After a few months, my system couldn’t read any discs. I then shipped it to Microsoft so they could fix it. It came back and instead of working, it got worse because it scratched my discs. I was frustrated. I got rid and replace dit with my Wii. I love it. But it started to collect dust because I felt there wasn’t enough variety to keep me interested. In 2009, I decided to get a PS3. It’s the system I play the more this generation.

Future games and consoles
I’m currently on a tight budget so I can’t get new games but once I’ll graduate and have a decent job, I’ll take a small portion to buy retro games and systems I missed out on while growing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom