• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your First Playthrough of a Zelda Game.

Guide usage

• Never use a guide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very rarely use a guide.

• Moderatly use a guide.

• Use the guide as step-by-step instructions.

• Total voters
During your first play through of a game do you ever consult a guide (such as Zelda Dungeon). This is a question I have been curious about for a long time. When I did my first play throughs of the the earlier 2d zelda games such as links awakening and the first zelda, I found some of the overworld puzzles extremely difficult, such as just finding the next temple. As for the more recent 3d zelda games such as oot, phantom hourglass, spirit tracks, I find them extremely easy in comparison, and never or seldom used a guide in my playthroughs. I am curious as to other peoples first times through the games.

I used to terribly suck at video games in general, my first home console was a Wii and my parents had gotten twilight princess for me. it took me 3 years to beat, and my total play time was 675 hours i consulted a guide 5-7 times I think

MW7

It depends on what I consider my first playthrough. The first playthrough I started was Link's Awakening but the first I completed was Ocarina of Time. I used a guide once in Link's Awakening and it took years to complete (to be fair I was like 5 years old when I started). With OOT my parents bought me a guide so I did read it a lot. Iirc though the only parts I actually would check step by step were the sidequests like the golden skulltulas or biggoron sword. I definitely had to look up a decent amount in the dungeons as well though, but give me a break I was only 8 at the time.

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
Sadly, I was the one user who voted the last option. Yes, I followed Caleb's walkthrough extremely precisely for Ocarina of Time. :(

M

moep0r

I had to use a step-by-step guide for LoZ on NES, it's just so confusing.. But of course I always try to use a guide as less as possible. It breaks the experience for me when I have to pause the game every five minutes or so just to read where I have to go next.

H3roOfTime

Hero of Time
first game was OoT... i usually onnly used the guide when i was really stuck and for the heart pieces!

zombiegamer723

The Hylian Zombie
I use one very rarely. Usually only for minor sidequests, or if I'm really, really, really stuck. Even then, I quickly skim the relevant section, so that I get an idea of what I'm supposed to do, but I still have to figure out most of it myself.

My first game was ALttP and I knew not of the existence of any sort of guide so at that time I didn't use a guide. The next game I got was LA, which I also knew not of the existence of guides. Then I got OoT, at this point I knew of the existence of guides but did not have one. The only game I used a guide rigorously in was MM. Such a crazy game, man.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
I played and beat a Link to the Past when I was around 8, and back then there was no internet to guide me if I was stuck. And I was stuck a couple of times! (One example: Finding the entrance to Misery Mire). But even nowadays I don't use walkthroughs for my first time through a Zelda game. When I attempt to 100% it, I will use a guide though on my 2nd or 3rd playthrough because I can never find *all* of the secrets in a game on my own (or I'm just too lazy to spend 100s of hours for that.)

I'm an old head and the first Zelda I played was the original when I was like 4-5 (I'm as old as the series so do the math), and I didn't even know of strategy guides back then (lol, most of you probably don't know of them either). I did have a little help from my big brother and my neighbors who were obsessed with video games.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
First playthrough of any ol' Zelda game, I used a guide for LA [didn't know how to get to or proceed past Catfish's Maw], ALttP [didn't know how to beat Skull Woods], LoZ [I used it once for Level 1 and from thereon to find the dungeon locations especially Level 7], and once for the Jalhalla boss battle of Wind Waker (me and my dad were absolutely stumped). For my first Zelda game, though, I didn't have to use a guide because me and my older bro would play it in consecutive turns. Quite the experience indeed :yes:

I only ever use a guide if I have absolutely no clue what need to do next.
If I get to the point where I'm totally stuck, and I'm just not having fun anymore because of that, I don't feel bad about using a guide.

But, I try to avoid it if I can.
I like figuring things out on my own.
I feel like it deepens the experience, when you finally figure something out, and you get that sense of accomplishment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom