• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your favourite Zelda timeline

Yes, I know we have a third split now and no i don't like it.

I'm not gonna complain about it though, im just not going to care as much about the timeline as i used to. (Since i dont agree that the earlier Zelda games should be in a timeline that is an offshoot of child murder... but hey.)

So, if we were to look beyond the Hyrule Historia or to a wonderful time when we didnt know there was a third split, my question would be; Which timeline theory did you prefer?

This isn't an opportunity to start slamming out your own timeline arguments. (though if you like your own thats fine) its more of a case of stating which timeline had the most appeal to you before thee canon got in the way.

For me i liked the Timeline where it split into Child and Adult at OOT but merged back together with the Oracle games (with one Oracle game being on the Adult timeline and the other being on the Child timeline)

I was also quite happy of having the Four Sword trilogy MC-FS-FSA as canon games in a wholly separate timeline too.

How about you guys, which timeline did you all prefer?

Purely, the whole path of very dark and deathly Zelda, aka the split with MM, and TP.

This might not be a popular choice but I actually like the defeat timeline since it showed what really can happen if the dark forces (ie. Ganondorf) was successful in their plans. Except I can't see how the Oracle games would fit after ALttP. It just doesn't fit right to me, even if there was that boat scene in the ending credits of OoX.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Read my siggy (it's still there right?)
Anyways, I like the two-split that stays separate. I've gone back and forth on MC being before OoT, but im still saying it belongs in the adult timeline, though it's not strong enough for me to change the signature.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
My favourite timeline to play through would be the prequel timeline. SS, TMC and OoT are all among my favourite Zelda games, and I like playing origin stories.

Retro Ganon

Canon-Candy-Coded
I'm not sure how to answer the topic of this thread but I'll start with top three timeline theories that annoyed me the most

1st - Theories which put ALttP on the CT
2nd - Theories which put any part of the FSS on the AT
3rd - Theories that argued OoT wasn't the Seal War anymore because of FSA

As for preferable confirmed timelines I'd rather play through from a storyline standpoint

1st - SS - TMC/FS - OoT
2nd - OoT - TWW/PH - ST (Even though it defeats the purpose of TWW poetic ending entirely :mellow:)
3rd - OoT - ALttP/OoX/LA - ALBW - LoZ/AoL
4th - OoT/MM - TP -FSA (MM is great, but TP just always will suck from a storyline standpoint)

Retro Ganon

Canon-Candy-Coded
And why is this?

Primarily the 'Force' argument. Nintendo did a bad job relating the FSS into the rest of the continuum once Aonuma confirmed FS was supposedly the 'oldest tale'. And then people had a hard time figuring out if this was a mistake or not because the FSA BS implied FS was a direct prequel. And IF that were true, FSA would go before OoT by default. The only way to resolve this conundrum was by saying Aonuma was out of his freakin mind and meant TMC was first considering their development was going on around the same time.

I wasn't surprised about FSA eventual placement. It could have gone anywhere after a game where Ganon was last defeated. I think a lot of people were thrown for a loop with TMC/FS as opposed to TMC - FS/FSA.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Primarily the 'Force' argument. Nintendo did a bad job relating the FSS into the rest of the continuum once Aonuma confirmed FS was supposedly the 'oldest tale'. And then people had a hard time figuring out if this was a mistake or not because the FSA BS implied FS was a direct prequel. And IF that were true, FSA would go before OoT by default. The only way to resolve this conundrum was by saying Aonuma was out of his freakin mind and meant TMC was first considering their development was going on around the same time.

I wasn't surprised about FSA eventual placement. It could have gone anywhere after a game where Ganon was last defeated. I think a lot of people were thrown for a loop with TMC/FS as opposed to TMC - FS/FSA.
Well, what if it were used for an argument that's not the force? I'll admit my argument has to do with the sealing war being FSA, but I have a good argument for that:
In a two-pronged theory like I use, it's generally agreed that, after OoT, we continue on to WW and MM (and on to TP). Ganondorf appears in both of these games, yet the sealing war only effects ALttP. Unless you put ALttP before these games, OoT could never be the sealing war in a two-timeline theory.

Retro Ganon

Canon-Candy-Coded
As a side note, I guess I wouldn't have had a problem if FSA went on the AT, as it could have made sense, but back on point:

Well, what if it were used for an argument that's not the force? I'll admit my argument has to do with the sealing war being FSA, but I have a good argument for that:
In a two-pronged theory like I use, it's generally agreed that, after OoT, we continue on to WW and MM (and on to TP). Ganondorf appears in both of these games, yet the sealing war only effects ALttP. Unless you put ALttP before these games, OoT could never be the sealing war in a two-timeline theory.

Well, I'll open my ear to anything as its been a long time.

When considering ALttP's BS, how did you account for the state of the Triforce during FSA's BS, and the Sages sealing Ganon away? What is the nature of the Dark World - is it acting like the Twilight Curtain OR a mesh between Ganon's actual Dark World, Hyrule, and the Twilight Realm? What is the nature of the Knights of Hyrule with regards to the Legend of the Great Cataclysm?

When I look at the SW as ALttP explains it per in-game texts, I don't think of it in terms that most do. I believe it acted out in very much the same as it did given more or less features between AT, CT, and DT alike. In the AT, a hero is present to help the sages contain Ganon within his Dark World. On the CT, an anonymous hero informant prepares the sages to confront Ganon in his pursuit of the SR. On the DT, the Hero has failed thus leaving the sages to barely manage sealing Ganon away after claiming the Triforce.

EDIT: Didn't want to elaborate on my idea yet, as I wish to hear yours first. I won't be able to respond right away as I have to get some sleep. Work tomorrow. Look forward to your post!

Last edited:

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
As a side note, I guess I wouldn't have had a problem if FSA went on the AT, as it could have made sense, but back on point:

Well, I'll open my ear to anything as its been a long time.

When considering ALttP's BS, how did you account for the state of the Triforce during FSA's BS, and the Sages sealing Ganon away? What is the nature of the Dark World - is it acting like the Twilight Curtain OR a mesh between Ganon's actual Dark World, Hyrule, and the Twilight Realm? What is the nature of the Knights of Hyrule with regards to the Legend of the Great Cataclysm?

When I look at the SW as ALttP explains it per in-game texts, I don't think of it in terms that most do. I believe it acted out in very much the same as it did given more or less features between AT, CT, and DT alike. In the AT, a hero is present to help the sages contain Ganon within his Dark World. On the CT, an anonymous hero informant prepares the sages to confront Ganon in his pursuit of the SR. On the DT, the Hero has failed thus leaving the sages to barely manage sealing Ganon away after claiming the Triforce.
*Cracks knuckles*
First of all, I'll admit that it's been a while since I've looked deep into, or played ALttP, so there's that.
Now then...
Here I'm going on the assumption that the Triforce and the Light Force are two separate powers, and the same goes for the Four Sword and the Master Sword.
Considering the placement of FSA, I'd say that, at this point, the Triforce has been returned to the SR. After all, its last canonical use (in my timeline) was in WW, where it was used by the king. It would make sense that it would return there, to its place of origin, at that time.

Your next point was the Knights. The Knights in FSA take the credit for FSA Link defeating Ganon, and their part in the Cataclysm is that mentioned in the game.
Here's a question for you. Where are these Knights in OoT?

I view the Dark Realm as the Sacred Realm, as it was originally supposed to be. They locked Ganon in there, and, since the real Triforce hasn't been used in millennia at this point, they didn't know that they were sending Ganon right where he wanted to be.

Think those were your only official requests. I'm a little iffy on the Knights part, because I need to look back through the IW text in ALttP, but that's what I have from what I remember. Expect better arguments there tomorrow.
And I, too, need some rest. Take time with your reply and I can't wait to read it.

And don't forget that other people can comment on this discussion too if they want.

Retro Ganon

Canon-Candy-Coded
*Cracks knuckles*

*Cracks back*

And don't forget that other people can comment on this discussion too if they want.

Yes of course, I imagine other 'Endangered Timeline Theorists' like yourself are hungry too. :P I will try to not disappoint nor detour this notion... :fi:

I will say this, I too once supported an AT majority placement but gradually became more neutral once ST was released.

Now then...
Here I'm going on the assumption that the Triforce and the Light Force are two separate powers, and the same goes for the Four Sword and the Master Sword

Agreed on both parts. Thanks to SS, I have always seen the Light Force as the spiritual essence that houses itself within certain Royal Family descendants. It acts as a honing property which can summon forth the spirit of the Goddess Hylia and exert her former power through every Zelda we see throughout the series. I believe this much can be said when examining the Trident of Power that revives the evil spirit of Demise within the new incarnation of Ganondorf in FSA. They both act in the same way.

On the point regarding the MS and FS, they may very well be of a sacred set of twin blades. Both degenerated versions of these swords are titled as a White Sword. We have seen different blades within the zeldaverse that sport the ability to thwart evil. Each denizen or lesser god of the Hyrulian Pantheon has a designated blade given to the chosen hero. But they are all part of the spiritual family left in charge by Din, Nayru, and Farore. You won't get an argument from me that just because they share the same name at some point, or ability, that they have to be the same item in general.

Past Dark Mirror = Twilight Mirror arguments comes to mind while thinking about this. And Nintendo blew that theory out of the water (no pun intended).

Considering the placement of FSA, I'd say that, at this point, the Triforce has been returned to the SR. After all, its last canonical use (in my timeline) was in WW, where it was used by the king. It would make sense that it would return there, to its place of origin, at that time.

Unfortunately we never knew this for sure. Youtube videos don't do the quality of my evidence justice, but if you look closely at the scene right as the ocean begins to plummet upon Hyrule, the Triforces shoot off into three opposite directions from the point of contact. I would be inclined to agree with this idea IF they floated off as one object. At the end of OoT, Zelda imparts valuable knowledge concerning those that have a balanced heart shall inherit the 'True Force' to govern all, and if they do not, the Triforce shall break apart into those destined to reunite the lost pieces to bring about order. Given Daphnes' pure heart, he had the True Force to make his wishes come true - but the very nature of his wish rejected his right to govern Hyrule and revive it to its former glory. And in this sense he not only buried Hyrule, but the SR as well. We cannot forget that OoT and ALttP refer to the SR/DW as a reflection of the Light World as stated in this quote,

Sahasrahla (Panel Within Swamp Palace)
Link, it is I, Sahasrahla. Objects in the Light and DarkWorlds mimic one another. If the form of a thing changes in one world, it will change the shape of its twin in the other.

What Sahasrahla says is demonstrated in the literal sense once Link unlocks the flood gates in the Light World. If we are to deduct that this very same thing would happen with the flooding of Hyrule, Ganons DW would be the same along with the Triforce if it were to return there.

And then we still have the matter of Ganondorf's defeat, which would revert the DW back to the SR in the same way it did when ALttP Link defeats him. The only way I use to defend it not reverting to the SR was that Ganon's physical form may have been destroyed but the spirit (known as Demise now of course) was able to survive. After all, OoX does refer to Ganon still having a "Dark Realm" from whence to be revived from. If the realm were to be intact as explained in the ALttP BS, the SW cant be OoT in the sense of TWW Ganondorf's Dark World.

Your next point was the Knights. The Knights in FSA take the credit for FSA Link defeating Ganon, and their part in the Cataclysm is that mentioned in the game. Here's a question for you. Where are these Knights in OoT?

Daphnes:
Long ago, Ganon's Tower was an impenetrable fortress that not even the daring and dauntless Knights of Hyrule could hope to assail. You must sharpen your senses so as not to fall victim to Ganon's illusions.

The MS Chamber in Hyrule Castle pays homage to their existence around the era of OoT, especially when knighting Link in a fashion once he approaches to claim the blade as his own. We must deduct that they existed in some number (no matter how small a unit as seen in FSA) around the OoT era.

As per ALttP BS, Link is a member of the Knights of Hyrule bloodline, and can therefore by extension of Hyrulean historical records, be noted as a Knight. Zelda basically ordained him as a 'messenger of the Royal Family' in the beginning of OoT, thus 'knighting him' in an unofficial way.

I view the Dark Realm as the Sacred Realm, as it was originally supposed to be. They locked Ganon in there, and, since the real Triforce hasn't been used in millennia at this point, they didn't know that they were sending Ganon right where he wanted to be.

Depends on how you figure Ganon aquired the entire Triforce during the 'SW' since OoT has three different known outcomes. I'll elaborate if you like.

Think those were your only official requests. I'm a little iffy on the Knights part, because I need to look back through the IW text in ALttP, but that's what I have from what I remember. Expect better arguments there tomorrow.

Very well sir. :)

Last edited:

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
*Cracks back*

I will say this, I too once supported an AT majority placement but gradually became more neutral once ST was released.
Why is this? You're not a "Where'd the tracks go" type, are you? :P

On the point regarding the MS and FS, they may very well be of a sacred set of twin blades. Both degenerated versions of these swords are titled as a White Sword. We have seen different blades within the zeldaverse that sport the ability to thwart evil. Each denizen or lesser god of the Hyrulian Pantheon has a designated blade given to the chosen hero. But they are all part of the spiritual family left in charge by Din, Nayru, and Farore. You won't get an argument from me that just because they share the same name at some point, or ability, that they have to be the same item in general.
That's actually a good way of looking at it. I haven't thought about it quite like that before, but it makes sense.

Past Dark Mirror = Twilight Mirror arguments comes to mind while thinking about this. And Nintendo blew that [theory out of the water (no pun intended).
Agreed. Dark Mirror more likely leads into the ALttP Dark World, and definitely not the Twili realm.

[/QUOTE]Unfortunately we never knew this for sure. Youtube videos don't do the quality of my evidence justice, but if you look closely at the scene right as the ocean begins to plummet upon Hyrule, the Triforces shoot off into three opposite directions from the point of contact. I would be inclined to agree with this idea IF they floated off as one object. At the end of OoT, Zelda imparts valuable knowledge concerning those that have a balanced heart shall inherit the 'True Force' to govern all, and if they do not, the Triforce shall break apart into those destined to reunite the lost pieces to bring about order. Given Daphnes' pure heart, he had the True Force to make his wishes come true - but the very nature of his wish rejected his right to govern Hyrule and revive it to its former glory. [/QUOTE]
Just a question on this before I go further, do you stick with the whole AT ending at ST thing? Or have an alternate idea?

And in this sense he not only buried Hyrule, but the SR as well. We cannot forget that OoT and ALttP refer to the SR/DW as a reflection of the Light World as stated in this quote,

Sahasrahla (Panel Within Swamp Palace)
Link, it is I, Sahasrahla. Objects in the Light and DarkWorlds mimic one another. If the form of a thing changes in one world, it will change the shape of its twin in the other.

What Sahasrahla says is demonstrated in the literal sense once Link unlocks the flood gates in the Light World. If we are to deduct that this very same thing would happen with the flooding of Hyrule, Ganons DW would be the same along with the Triforce if it were to return there.
Well, here's the thing. We never saw much of what the SR was like in OoT days, except that it had the Temple of Light, which was in the same place as the Temple of Time. Therefore, it's possible that it was mirrored back then too. It could be the perfect version of Hyrule.
Also, Hyrule is still flooded in ST and beyond. However, they found a new landmass to live on. Ganon may have done the very same.

And then we still have the matter of Ganondorf's defeat, which would revert the DW back to the SR in the same way it did when ALttP Link defeats him. The only way I use to defend it not reverting to the SR was that Ganon's physical form may have been destroyed but the spirit (known as Demise now of course) was able to survive. After all, OoX does refer to Ganon still having a "Dark Realm" from whence to be revived from. If the realm were to be intact as explained in the ALttP BS, the SW cant be OoT in the sense of TWW Ganondorf's Dark World.
You forget what Link's wish was. He wished that the world was back to the way it was prior to ALttP (with the obvious exception of Ganon's death). The DW was still around back then. That's how I explain the DW being refered to in OoX.
And the physical form argument is what I use for why it survived OoT. Since I personally view Ganondorf as the mortal vessel of Ganon (Demise's raw anger and hatred, which was given the name Ganon as a reference to the vessel it was best known with), when Ganondorf died, Ganon lived on, in a spiritual form. Notice that, in my timeline, Ganon appears again, but not Ganondorf. In WW, he was sealed within the MS in Hyrule, but Vaati, having a lot of power after taking part of the Light Force, was able to free him, possibly destroying the sword in the process (he doesn't quite have hands). At the end of FSA, Ganon was sealed in the FS. If the FS and the MS are indeed of the same make, then it would make sense that they would seal their beings to the same place.

Daphnes:
Long ago, Ganon's Tower was an impenetrable fortress that not even the daring and dauntless Knights of Hyrule could hope to assail. You must sharpen your senses so as not to fall victim to Ganon's illusions.

The MS Chamber in Hyrule Castle pays homage to their existence around the era of OoT, especially when knighting Link in a fashion once he approaches to claim the blade as his own. We must deduct that they existed in some number (no matter how small a unit as seen in FSA) around the OoT era.
Of course. But they were obviously far from the power they has in FSA.

As per ALttP BS, Link is a member of the Knights of Hyrule bloodline, and can therefore by extension of Hyrulean historical records, be noted as a Knight. Zelda basically ordained him as a 'messenger of the Royal Family' in the beginning of OoT, thus 'knighting him' in an unofficial way.
There is a great deal of difference between messenger (a glorified mailman) and knight (usually a member of the nobility).
In FSA, it's obvious that the knights were at full power directly before,

Depends on how you figure Ganon aquired the entire Triforce during the 'SW' since OoT has three different known outcomes. I'll elaborate if you like.
I don't think there's a need. I've read the HH timeline through and through.
Viewing the SW as FSA, I'd say that, as legends change between retellings, they changed Ganon getting the trident to getting the Triforce, just on accident. Legends aren't perfect, and, with the little given to us about the SW during ALTTP's BS, it's obvious that a lot of things are changed or unknown. Example, the seven wise men (the direct translation from Japan). In FSA, they're all female, and in OoT, there's only two that are guys. Either way they changed something there. So why not elsewhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom