• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your favourite video game villain

Video games have some of the best villains of any medium and I think it's time to celebrate our favourites.

Villains in video games are unique because we can interact with them in a wholly unique way as opposed to movies and novels, this gives them a rather intimate relationship with them as we thwart their evil plans.

So, which villain in video games is your favourite and why?

Were they hard to beat?

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Definitely Dahlia Hawthorne from the Phoenix Wright series.

She has one hell of a harrowing, complex and fascinating backstory and while her motives are simple, her entire arc is just one big wow moment for me.

Beating her takes diving headfirst into and carefully untangling the whole super complex web of lies, manipulations and deceit of the Hawthorne/Fey subplot that has run through the entire trilogy.

It's so damn good.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Porky Minch, he was just some snotty kid in the beginning but eventually became the right hand man for Giygas, and then there's MOTHER 3 where he treated the lives of innocent animals and townsfolk as his playthings, plenty of them dying in the process

This is actually a really hard question, because I love a lot of villains, but I moreso love them as characters and don't always necessarily love them as villains.

The villain I feel most comfortable going with for my answer at the moment I guess would be Grima from Fire Emblem Awakening. The present story of Awakening is a bit shaky, and most of the characterization you get for Grima is from what you hear of Lucina's future; his backstory is rather nonexistent. But he's ruthless and cunning with a very strong hatred of humanity and Naga, and the apocalpytic nature surrounding him makes him so damn extra and I love it.

Now, my relationship with him as a character is kind of weird, because while I liked his villain role and his ties to Robin, his lack of backstory just makes him like... kinda there. Villains like him are like so sinister for the hell of it, they're not particularly relatable as characters, so it's hard to understand this sort of villain without a backstory. Him being unexplained made a greater disconnect between his savagery and the player. And I always felt conflicted about that, because I really wanted to like him as a character more; he has a really neat design and concept. But in Awakening, he's pretty one dimensional, despite how interesting his cryptic vibes and connection with rituals may be. When I first got the artbook for Awakening, I remember flipping through the pages on him and saying something like, "Man, there's so much potential here than what we got. I wish they did more with him."

Fire Emblem Echoes delivered (that was a bad pun and I'm not sorry) on explaining his backstory and it was done in such a fashion to suit his occult origins, it has completely compensated for the lack of information in Awakening, at least for me. It makes sense why this information wasn't provided in Awakening, all things considered. It's almost a forbidden knowledge that the characters in the game could have not possibly known, and therefore there would not have been a way to give this information to the player without destroying his mystery. His lack of explanation could have probably been dealt with better within Awakening, but despite that, the information given in Echoes builds upon while remaining very consistent to Awakening, to the point that I am very certain Grima was designed with this backstory in mind from the start--and the writers just had no idea how to express this in Awakening. Either way, I love him, and his hatred of Naga is suddenly understandable--as is why he cannot be slain by Falchion--and I really would love to see him appear as a villain again just to get more of this sort of content.

He wasn't a particularly difficult boss in Awakening, but I've never fought him on lunatic where he has broken skills I guess. But you don't fight him directly; you just fight his vessel. But his fight/map in Echoes was sufficiently challenging and I really had to carefully plan my advance. I probably would have struggled more if I didn't have strong archers with me, though. Also, Grima's head does a weird thing at low health in Awakening, and it was just kind of a random cosmetic change that raised a lot of questions at the time. But Echoes also explained that. It's incredible how such a small side story can fill in so much. I love that sort of storytelling. I love piecing things together.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
My favourite video game villain is Ganondorf without a doubt. Ever since I saw him when I was 4 I fell in love with his look. He looked like a supervillain with his tight suit and cape and had a great evil laugh! I watched my cousin fight him, playing energy ball tennis which I thought was an amazing way to fight and then I saw him transform into Ganon. When I got OOT I couldn't wait to go and fight him myself. I don't think I even got to him for a couple of years because I would get stuck and go off and do other things in the game but there was always that excitement to fight him and it was such a great experience for me when I actually got to. He does quite a bit of damage and I remember dying to him a few times, this is how a final boss should be.

His backstory is not incredibly detailed and much is shrouded in mystery but it clear he grew up in a harsh environment and was jealous of those in the Land of Hyrule. Ganondorf is obviously evil, revealed to be the demon king reincarnated and the visual connection to evil is there in his design being green skinned and yellow eyed. It's funny really that only a pair of children are able to see it. The land of Hyrule is filled with absolute buffoons including its king. I believe in Hyrule Historia that it is implied Ganondorf is 'once again' swearing fealty to the king. Implying that he fought in the war 9 years prior, in which Links mother was injured fatally and which was possibly a war for the triforce. It is no wonder that Ganondorf managed to take advantage of a king who would trust someone after this. He is a cunning manipulator. This is an aspect of his personality that I love and I think makes him a great villain. Working behind the scenes and biding his time for the right moment. He does this on multiple occasions throughout the series but the best example is in OoT.

Another aspect I love is that he isn't just evil, he absolutely loves it as well. He seems to have such fun being the bad guy. I enjoy the man's energy particularly in Ocarina of Time, TP and Hyrule Warriors, even the more mellow WW incarnation had his moments too.

I am fortunate to love such an unkillable and iconic villain as it means I am very likely to get to fight different versions of him again in the future.

Glados from the Portal series is a favourite of mine. The fact that she's emotionless but with an attitude makes her a constant presence despite never actually being around. Also that fact that she can seemingly do anything within the restrictions of the test facility but only makes passive aggressive remarks like you're a nuisance to her & nothing more is an interesting dynamic. She's definitely the highlight of the Portal games.

Lavos from Chrono Trigger just as an unstoppable force of nature I really love as well. The fact that it spans literally millions of years affecting all these time periods & rains destruction no matter where it is or who is there. Force of nature villains tend to be hit & miss but Lavos definitely hits, having faced him multiple times throughout the game & not managing to leave a dent on him really sells it as this omnipotent being. The fact that the wise elders, gutsy present dayers & intelligent futures all fall to Lavos really drives home the fact that this thing is inevitable. From the moment you meet it, it's presence & weight of its power is constantly looming over you for the entire game.

From Zelda, Majora really hits home. Again just as an unstoppable force of carnage. Skull kid is essentially a prankster with the power of a god & it takes the abuse of time travel to formulate an arsenal capable of stopping it. It treats Termina like a play thing. It crashes the moon out of boredom. If Majora's mask fell into the hands of someone with conviction (like Ganondorf) then they would probably be unstoppable. It's unpredictability & power really drives home how important it is that you beat this thing.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
I've got 2 of them!

Fawful from the Mario & Luigi series is just incredibly entertaining with his weird manner of speaking and his short temper. I HAVE FURY!

The second one is sorta similar in his behaviour to Fawful. It's Dr. Nefarious from the Ratchet and Clank series. Very intelligent, but also prone to fits of anger that actually makes him malfunction and tune into a radio drama, so that his butler Lawrence has to hit him to snap him out of it XD

I like well-written, funny villains, that still are a big threat is basically what I'm saying

King Bowser

He's useless, incompetent and of recent Nintendo have made him a comic relief. A great change and I really like it.
I like villians that are not one dimensional - as in "I want to take over the world" and that's it.

Bowser in Mario-RPG, TYD and SPM to me are some of Bowser's highlights. Bowser not being the main villain, evil but forced to work with Mario. Actually I'd like to see more games were Bowser is forced to work with Mario. Not being happy about it and with all the snide remarks to go along with it.

Ragnarokio

If you don't identify as the default options of Male/Female, you may enter your gender here.
definitely ghaleon from lunar. He's probably my favourite villain in anything. He perfectly fits the slightly quirky atmosphere that lunar has, and I love the way he fully embraces the role of villain and ends up coming off almost more nerdy for it than evil. I don't recall the fight with him being very difficult.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
My two favorite kind of villains are "the relatable" and the "force of nature"
The former is someone like Ganondorf in Wind Waker. He has a relatable problem but it's his methods are what make him a villain. The second kind is like if Dark Beast Ganon was actually scary. A titanic force that is only driven by one purpose, not really conscious or sentient of its actions it simply acts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom