• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Favourite Lady in Gaming

Austin

Austin
Marina_-_Mischief_Makers.jpg

Chiraku

Demon slayer
Samus. Favorite game character hands down, and I don't care how she was in Other M, she is still cool.
But I like to play as Girls in games like Aile and Ashe in the ZX games. I like to tick my bros off :P

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
This amazing gal:

Mass_effect_redemption.jpg

I love how Liara isn't just a static character in the series.

Samara from ME2/3 is also amazing. Uncompromising 'till the very end.

Princess Minerva from Fire Emblem. She manages to be the very opposite of what one expects of a princess while at the same time not provoking a sexist argument (i.e. she's tasteful). She's an interesting character and strong leader with probably one of my favorite character designs (and it isn't seductive like other female vg characters).
Samus is the runner-up for me. I like her for all the reasons I like Minerva, but I put her in second because Other M.

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I only really know three ladies in gaming, Samus, Zelda, and Peach. I'm going to have to go with Samus. The reasons are obvious.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Jill Valentine
Jill_Valentine_Badge_2.jpg

Jill Valentine was the first female character I ever really got to experience. Before I played Resident Evil the female characters I was most familiar with were the likes of Dixie Kong, Princess Zelda and Peach back when it was Princess Toadstool. None of them are exactly gonna win any prizes for being deep, well-rounded characters.

I was petrified of Resident Evil when I first played it. I was 6 years old and I couldn't even look at my TV half the time. I refused to play the game after 8pm and made my way through with tiny little baby steps because my nerve would only last so long. I knew I would need something to help make me feel safe and that thing was Jill Valentine. I chose to play as her because I find a female presence more comforting and reassuring than a male one. If I had played as Chris I just would have felt like it was me in that mansion (not helped by sharing his name) and I would have projected my vulnerability onto him. With Jill it was as though she was exploring the place on my behalf, fighitng the monsters to protect me from them.

The comfort of having a female lead is why I was one of the few people who actually played Claire's disc first in Resident Evil 2, but I never got the same feeling from her. That and the fact that Leon was a police officer so I naturally found more safety in playing as him, being a figure of civil authority and all. Then Resident Evil 3: Nemesis came along and it took the role I had given Jill in the first game and reversed it. Now, what with Nemesis hunting her down, I was the one who had to protect her. There's a point in the game when you have to play as Carlos Oliveira as he looks for a vaccine to treat a T-Virus infected Jill. In the entire franchise that is perhaps the sequence that scared me more than any other. That feeling of my rock being helpless and dying and me having to go off alone to try to save her. I genuinely felt isolated and weak.
jill_buso2.jpg

I'm not going to lie either, seeing Jill in her Resident Evil 3: Nemesis outfit made me realise how attractive I found her. It was the first time I'd ever thought of a fictional character as beautiful and it only enadeared me to her more.

Jill was given a new face in the remake of Resident Evil, the face most people will recognise her for, and by that point it was undeniable that she was my favourite female character in any video game. Seeing her in that mansion again was a totally different experience, mainly because I was no longer a scared 6 year old who needed protection but a 13 year old boy who felt he had to keep the girl he fancied safe. That might sound silly but that's how it was for me. It's one of the reasons why I love the remake, it really helped me see how much I had grown over the years and put a new dynamic on a familiar partnership.

Jill was gone for 7 years after that. Sure she was in The Umbrella Chronicles but since that was a first-person recap of Resident Evil and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis it didn't really count. It wasn't until Resident Evil 5 that she came back and I know a lot of people didn't like that game so much but having to fight Jill Valentine was hard for me. There was of course the feeling of needing to save her, needing to get the device off her chest and break Wesker's control over her, but I didn't want to hurt her to do it. That Wesker/Jill boss fight is one of my all-time favourites because of how engaged I was emotionally due to the significance I had been placing on Jill since childhood. Even though I knew I was helping her I felt terrible for how I had to do it.

I actually can't think of another female character (or just character in general, really) that I have had what, for want of a better term, I will call a 'relationship' with. I've grown up with Jill and she's been a way for me to realise how I've changed over time. Sometimes she saves me and other times I save her but whatever role we find ourselves in there's a connection that I do not have with any other character from any game. I was a little sad to see her face change for Resident Evil: Revelations but the face does not make the woman. She was still Jill and she's a large part of why I love that game.

Now if they would only put her in a lead role alongside Leon and I can finally die a happy man.
evil_jill_valentine_by_lordyami666-d31wbgd.jpg

It's a toss-up for me. I've been a die-hard Mario fan FOREVER. SMB came out the year before I was born so the series has always been a part of my life. I feel a strong bond with Princess Peach as I've grown up with her and seen her evolve. Mario Party used to be a daily occurrence between my friends and me and I have always played as Peach. She may be kind of dense and careless compared to Zelda, but I admire her beauty and grace. On the other hand, the Zelda series has only been a part of my life for about a year and a half. Ocarina of Time is the first that I played and I feel a strong affinity towards Sheik. There's an authoritative yet calming quality to her that not only is a consistent source of encouragement, but also reveals the true strength and courage of Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom