• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your favourite apocalypse

Recent times and media stories have made me think about the end of days and apocalyptic extinction events, which in turn got me thinking about certain video games, movies, books and anime I enjoy with a good world ending calamity...

I do enjoy an exciting armageddon in my entertainment (not so much in real life), so I figured I'd give you all a chance to share your own apocalyptic events in media that left an impression on you.

Maybe you didn't exactly enjoy it, but maybe it made an impact on you and made a story memorable.

The Great Flood from The Wind Waker or the Calamity from Breath of the Wild would be examples, as would the Eclipse from Berserk or the Impacts from Evangelion, or the extinction event from I Am Legend, you get the point.

What is your favourite apocalypse?

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
BotW's apocalypse is the first that comes to mind. Seeing a world in ruin and realizing the chaos that the Calamity unleashed upon Hyrule made BotW one of the most thematically dark games in the series, in my mind.

Apart from that, I'd say Majora's Mask is another memorable apocalypse. It's more immediately tragic, given how impending doom is right around the corner in the game's story, unlike BotW's apocalypse. Although I would say that the ability to undo it as many times as needed takes away from its impact just a bit. BotW's apocalypse is unable to be undone in the original game's timeline but MM's apocalypse can be averted until the player gets done what they set out to do.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
BotW's apocalypse is the first that comes to mind. Seeing a world in ruin and realizing the chaos that the Calamity unleashed upon Hyrule made BotW one of the most thematically dark games in the series, in my mind.
they could have... I think in practice everyone was mostly chill with the fact that the world had been razed around them
I blame the NPC dialogue for this
the only good dialogue is that one little girl who's trying to be a chef because her mom died
everyone else is like "oh yeah, a century ago my friends and family died... oh well!"
yeah a hundred years is an insanely long time, most hylians don't remember even, but it feels like A Thing That Happened and then everyone moved on except for like, Sidon
idk maybe I'm just trying to ask for too much out of nintendo atp, but I swear they've done better than this in the past

I'm assuming this isn't strictly confined to the zelda series

this is pretty dumb but I thought that animated movie Home with alien Sheldon Cooper actually had a really neat apocalyptic premise that was startlingly engaging for a movie that seemed to be pretty dumb

The Third Impact - The End of Evangelion

I got into Eva fairly late but was still able to go into it knowing absolutely nothing. I wholly enjoyed the original TV series for its character studies and fresh take on all things mecha.

But then End of Eva happened and that apocalypse everyone had been trying to avert finally hits.

Holy. Damn.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
When Azathoth wakes up....

Nah just kidding, that's kinda the end of existence itself.

I'd go for a Fist of the North Star type of apocalypse. It's like Mad Max, but with martial arts, awesomeness, and shirts exploding off in inexplicable ways.

Case in point....

Superman (New 52) Vs Kenshirō (Hokuto No Ken) - Comics Fight Club

How does Kenshiro keep repairing his shirt in this world?

Tis the real mystery of First of the North Star.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Xenogears
what was there, like 2 or 3 apocalyptic events prior to the games start? and the current world of Ignas is based around the technology that was developed during those civilizations, that backstory is really something else

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
This is a really difficult question once I actually stopped to think about it.

My gut responses in terms of gaming are Darksiders and Fragile Dreams. But that’s probably way more due my overall enjoyment of the game rather than the actual background setting.

In television, Lexx probably has one of my favourite apocalypses just because of how dumb it is, though the level of dumb on that show is amazing and I just love it because of it. Hex is another show that also has a great lead up to and an actual apocalypse. Complete with witches, lesbian ghosts and the first thing I ever saw Michael Fassbender in.

As far as books go, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy has my favourite apocalypse reason in it.

Film is much harder for me. I don’t really watch a lot of films that are set during the lead up to, during, or post- an apocalypse. They tend to be a sub-genre of films I don’t usually enjoy watching. I sincerely dislike Mad Max which is the first that comes to mind as it’s such a boring series of films and I can’t think of much else to take into consideration

This is a really difficult question once I actually stopped to think about it.

My gut responses in terms of gaming are Darksiders and Fragile Dreams. But that’s probably way more due my overall enjoyment of the game rather than the actual background setting.

In television, Lexx probably has one of my favourite apocalypses just because of how dumb it is, though the level of dumb on that show is amazing and I just love it because of it. Hex is another show that also has a great lead up to and an actual apocalypse. Complete with witches, lesbian ghosts and the first thing I ever saw Michael Fassbender in.

As far as books go, The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy has my favourite apocalypse reason in it.

Film is much harder for me. I don’t really watch a lot of films that are set during the lead up to, during, or post- an apocalypse. They tend to be a sub-genre of films I don’t usually enjoy watching. I sincerely dislike Mad Max which is the first that comes to mind as it’s such a boring series of films and I can’t think of much else to take into consideration

You're the only other person I've ever known to both know what Lexx and Fragile Dreams are. <3

Also, they'd be good choices regardless.

Last edited:

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
You're the only other person I've ever know to both know what Lexx and Fragile Dreams are. <3

Also, they'd be good choices regardless.
Ditto to you too on both of those!

You’re the first person I’ve met who has ever heard of Lexx! That is downright amazing. May His merciful Shadow fall upon you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom