• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Favorite Video Games

Y

Yumil

I have a terrible time picking out my "favorites" or my "top 10" or whatever when it comes to video games. There are so many that I love so much that I find it very hard to rank any of them. So, here are my Top 10. This post contains accurate information for the next hour - until I remember a game I forgot. :P

10. Super Mario Galaxy & Super Mario Bros. 3 (tie)
I couldn't leave Mario off entirely, could I? Both of these games are incredible and brought Mario to new places. They are the best games we have in a dying genre (a dying genre which I love to death).

9. Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals
Yeah, a game you never heard of. This one's a classic Super Nintendo RPG. The story is epic, the music is epic, the adventure-style is unique. This game has some real puzzles and out-of-battle items (arrows, a hookshot basically, bombs, etc) and still has it's own spin on the traditional turn based battle system. No random battles either. This is a gaming treasure that is sadly overlooked among the Final Fantasys of our world.

8. MOTHER2 / Earthbound
Don't get the wrong idea by this being number 8. I said before that I have a terrible time putting the games in any kind of order. And Earthbound is very dear to my heart. Amazing game, simple as that.

7. Super Metroid
The best Metroid game. Period. To comment on a previous comment on this game. Yes, it's not even close to the entirely unlinear mess that created the first Metroid game. Being unlinear is only good to a certain extent. Metroid took it too far. Metroid Fusion and the Prime series went to the other extreme - telling you exactly where to go all the time. Super Metroid found a nice medium, and it's perfect.

Yes, you're required to kill the bosses in a specific order. And yes, you need certain upgrades before you can continue to certain areas. But the game doesn't tell you where they are and good players can figure out secrets to get items earlier than they are supposed to. Ever got the Spazer early? You're supposed to have the Hi-Jump, but wall jumps work. This is the beauty of this game.

6. Final Fantasy VI
Screw Final Fantasy VII. It's a fine game, but it makes me want to cry when I see it so honored above this clearly superior title. The last 2D Final Fantasy remains the best in the series. Kupo!

5. Chrono Trigger
Do I really have to explain why this is awesome? The game has great everything, even the credits are epic and full of amazing names.

4. MOTHER3
Strange, Funny, and Heartrending. The sequel to Earthbound. The game we're still begging to have in English even though Starmen.net translated the whole thing for us. This is everything Earthbound is, and more. This game will make the most manly guy cry. Chuck Norris and Kamina cried for hours when they played it.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Why isn't this number one? Because it's not my favorite. What it is, is the greatest game ever made simply because of it's contributions to our industry. Even so, I'd rather play A Link to the Past any day.

2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
It's Zelda, it's the best Zelda, and this is a Zelda site. I'm not explaining why Zelda is awesome.

1. Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
Let's talk about forgotten, overlooked games. People whine about the lack of amazing RPGs on the N64, but they never played this one. To be fair, it's a strategy RPG, but it's still leagues better than every other RPG on the N64 - including Paper Mario. 60+ hours of gameplay the first time through, and the storyline branches with multiple endings to encourage playing it again. There are tons of secret characters - which you can't get in just one play through - an amazing story, epic soundtrack, and unique battle system.

The only downside this game has is that a lot of people, even gamers, aren't hardcore enough to enjoy it. The battle system is very "set it up and watch it go." Meaning, the battles happen automatically based on how you set up the units before the battle. Even so, the possibilities are endless and the game is without a doubt among the best on the Nintendo 64.

It's a shame that despite incredible review scores, it was completely overlooked and underproduced. Here's hoping it hits virtual console soon (the Super NES games, Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen, already has).

NOTE: This game is awesome enough that I named myself after it. Yumil is one of the main characters. :)

And that, is the real top 10 games, for the next hour.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
1. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Awesome beyond all reason. And insanely long. Enough said.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
A bit too linear yes, but it makes up for it with awesomeness.
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
A true classic game. Never gets old. Could play through that one again and again. Amazing storyline.
4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Collecting stuff. That was awesome. A rarity in Zelda games to have that much exploring and collecting open.
5. Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
You explore a backstory mentioned in the movie but not seen. Awesome story line. A N64 game with some of the best graphics on the system.
6. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
That sense of exploring a vast area. It is so rare in the series. the size of the world was stunning. Even if the game was a bit too short.
7. Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
Another movie backstory that was mentioned only. Awesome gamepaly. And it get very difficult towards the end. Awesome. (For those that don't know, it is all about how Jango Fett meets up with Count Dooku. How Jango was chosen to be the template for the clone army.)
8. Super Mario Sunshine
Great game. I've wasted away days of my life on this thing. Awesome.
9. Star Wars: Clone Wars
Awesomeness on a disk. The controls for this game just felt so natural. It also has an excellent multplayer mode.
10. Soul Calibur II
Arcade at home! The Weapon master mode is challenging. You have to find the right character for each mission. Some just don't cut it. It's more than fighting. There is strategy! Great game to play with friends and family too.

Moosh_is_cool

Still a Moosh fan!
My top 10

1. Drawn to Life
    For sure the best game I've ever played. In Drawn to Life, there is a species called the Raposa. The village they lived in is covered in shadows by a corrupt Raposa named Wilfre. I sadly never beat the game, because I lost the card or cartridge or whatever it's called.
  2. Kirby: Super Star Ultra
    An awesome game. Second only to Drawn to Life. 11 sub games, 5 mini games and 2 special features.
  3. Mabinogi
    This is a multiplayer, online game. I made some friends, killed some monsters, rode a boat, etc. Lots of stuff to do, and awesome graphics!
  4. Drop Dead: Final Cut
    No, this isn't as bad as it sounds. It's another online game. You have to use giant razors and such to kill the character and get as many points as possible. And, there's a free play mode!
  5. Sketch Star
    3 online games in a row! In this, you can make animations, and other people watch them.
  6. Nintendogs: Dachshund and Friends
    In this game, you have 2 or 3 virtual dogs, and you take care of them. It's really cute, but it can get kinda boring :mellow:
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
    A nice game. Plenty of storyline to it. There's an actual goal, too. I like the little mushroom things that you pull on to send you over big gaps! <3
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    A pretty cool game. There's a boat, a sword, a real story and awesome end credits, but it gets a bit boring after beating it 3 times -.-
  9. Pokemon Ranger
    This game was pretty good. It got really hard at one point, though =\ I lost the cartridge thingy for this game, too.
  10. Pokemon Yellow
    A pretty good game. I liked how Pikachu would follow the character around. Once again, lost the cartridge -.-

MOS3

Agent Of Chaos
I don't think I can post them in order (except for the number 1), so I'll just name them

My top 10 videogames would be...

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes: An amazing remake of an already amazing game. Cinematic experience like no other. Truly the best fusion of a movie and game you can find.

StarFox 64: The father is killed, and the son is out on revenge. Classic story that never gets old. Plus great voice acting, different routes to the end and overall one of the most entertaining games I've played.

The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time: Do I really need to say something about this game? Best game EVER...period.

Chrono Trigger: One of those games you can play over and over and over again. Can't get tired of it, multiple endings, AMAZING story, interesting characters. You can't go wrong with this one.

Super Mario 64: The granddaddy of 3D adventure/platform games. Great transtion into the 3D enviroment. So many great things happened in this game. Mario got a voice, Peach got a voice, there was Metal Mario, great music, most entertaining floating head in a menu screen in history, and one of the most catchy ending songs ever.

Mario Kart 64: C'mon...you get the Rainbow Road. What else do you need?...ok, ok, you also get great multiplayer. Could have used a few more characters, but overall one of the true entertaining games i've played.

Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars: Is there anything Mario can do wrong? Great game, very funny characters. I couldn't believe how well the mario universe worked on an RPG game.

Star Wars: Tie Fighter: An old Star Wars game for PC. You actually get to play as the Empire. How cool is that? It was a space combat simulator with great moments, like Darth Vader selecting you personally for a rescue mission (the Emperor being the hostage) *drools* . Very cool.

Grim Fandango: Wow, what can I say about this one. Truly epic story with hilarious moments. It's a graphic adventure by LucasArts. I absolutely recommend it. Do get a copy of this, you won't regret it

Monkey Island (saga): Another one by LucasARts. Truly classic graphic adventure. As always, hilarious moments. Actually is such a fun game, that even though it pretty much does not have any sound (the first game of the saga), you can¡t stop playing it. That should tell you something good about it.

Last edited:

Shnappy

derp
I believe you are a bit mistaken there...

List of DS Final Fantasy Games:

Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2: Grimoire of the Rift
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy: Chocobo Tales
Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: Rings of Faith

And I think there at least two more:)

I've been living under a rock as far as DS FF games go. I might get XII, considering that's the only one you've listed under the main series. My oldest brother has Girimoire of the Rift, though.

C

CoolSpot

You are missing a lot of great game... Final Fantasy VII, Ocarina of Time, etc...
Pokémon ruby on the list? i don't think there is a single pokémon game that deserves being there, even though I like the series.
Castlevania is good, but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is way much better.
Earthbound Rocks,period.
Super Smash bros is good, but, as well as other tiltes, shouldn't be there.
Super Metroid or Metroid prime 1, where is any of it?
Majora's Mask as well.
Also, Mario Kart is good, but if there are 2 mario games that deserve to be there are Super Mario World and Super Mario RPG... those were my 2 cents to this thread.

Edit:

Here is a better Top 10, imo

10- Super Mario RPG
09- Kingdom Hearts
08- Metal gear Solid IV
07- Super Metroid
06- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
05- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
04- Final Fantasy VII
03- Super Mario World
02- Earthbound
01- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

You think pokemon wont make a top 10 list well when you do research pokemon is the 2nd biggest franchise in video game history and each pokemon game ends up being the top sell game on each gameboy. super mario world isnt that good it is taking smb3 and just making it just a little better in other words smw and smb3 is just about the same. metal gear solid 4 is like any other game these days just another shooter game. final fantasy is all right game. earthbound i would put it in the same place. Oot is not that of a great game but should be on some top 10 games. kingdom hearths is lame, and any other game i didnt comment on is a alright game.

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
Skull_Kid, I think everyone should be entitled to their own opinion. You can't really argue about other people their opinions, since they'll most likely disagree with yours. :P

Anyway, it's really difficult for me to make a list like this. There's actually a whole bunch of games I like, it's even more difficult to put them in a logical list. So here's ten games I absolutely adore, in no particular order:

The first game that comes to mind is the original Super Mario Bros. It was the very first video game I played. I still have very fond memories of the game. I didn't know how to jump so I kept walking in to pits. Yeah, looking back, I didn't actually play the game properly. But can you really blame me? I was three at the time! :P Still, it was my very first introduction to video games. Too bad my parents gave the NES away...

Super Mario World, now there's a game I did play properly! It was my first serious video game experience. Me and my dad spent hours, days, weeks trying to finish it 100 percent. There were so many tricks, secret exits, power ups. It truly amazed me at the time. I still have original cartridge in my SNES. And I still often feel like playing the game.

Another Mario game... Super Mario 64 first introduced me to 3D gaming. Finishing the game 100 percent took me about a year, but it was absolutely worth it. So when the game got a DS remake I was thrilled. Unfortunately Super Mario 64 DS just didn't feel right to me. Perhaps it was the missing analog stick. I still got all 150 stars under a week though. :P

Of course Zelda played a pretty big part in my life too. A Link to the Past was a nice introduction to the series, although I never did finish it at the time. Ocarina of Time however, completely changed my view on video games forever. The story, the characters, the setting, they all appealed to me. As with most games I tried to finish it 100 percent without a guide. But I never got those few remaining skulleta's. D:

Majora's Mask is without a doubt one of my favorite video games. Most people feel pushed by the three day limit. I on the other hand love the idea. Majora's Mask is perhaps the darkest Zelda game. And it's true that at the time I couldn't appreciate its greatness. Dabombster posted a very interesting article not too long ago. My views on the game are pretty much the same as the one who wrote the article.

Another game... Hmm... I suppose EarthBound made a pretty big impression on me. Of course I couldn't play the game legally, since it never got released in Europe. So I played it on an emulator. I still want to buy the game one of these days though. Anyway, EarthBound is one of the few RPG's I actually completed. You see, most RPG's all share a common trait: they're based in a medieval setting; the use magic; they feature different races etc. etc. etc. EarthBound did things differently. It was set in a modern setting. That's right. There were no knights, instead there were stray dogs. It's definitely one of the most unique games ever created.

How about a more modern game? The World Ends With You got released last year on the DS. It's comparable to EarthBound. It again differs from the regular RPG system. It features realtime battles, a unique pin system and a very interesting story with enough plot-twists to create another grand canyon. That's about it. :D

Metal Gear Solid on the PSX was pretty unique. It's the only MGS game I ever completed (well, I completed the Twin Snakes too. But that's a remake). It surprises me how there isn't a MGS movie yet. Ah well, the game has a very thick plot. It's about terrorists, a big metal machine (:O), science gone wrong, etc. Just play it, you won't regret it.

Argh, two more games! Wario Ware Inc. on the GBA is one of my favorite portable time wastes. :P I've completely all the micro games, yet I'm still not bored of it. The sequels are OK, just not as amazing as the original was. I'm also really looking forward to Rhythm Heaven on the DS. It's by the same people.

One final game... Hrmm... And it better be an epic one. Perhaps the greatest game of all time, is a really simple one. Tetris. That's right, the game you got when you bought the original Gameboy. It's a classic formula that still works well, even today. I can never get enough of those tetrominoes. :P

And that's about it, really. I'm sure I missed quite a few games. But can you really put all your favorite games in a top ten? I don't think so. Oh well, I had fun writing this post. Now I'm off to play some Super Mario World. :)

9. Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals
Yeah, a game you never heard of. This one's a classic Super Nintendo RPG. The story is epic, the music is epic, the adventure-style is unique. This game has some real puzzles and out-of-battle items (arrows, a hookshot basically, bombs, etc) and still has it's own spin on the traditional turn based battle system. No random battles either. This is a gaming treasure that is sadly overlooked among the Final Fantasys of our world.

I actually own this game. In Europe it's known as just Lufia (we never got the first game). I agree with you; it's a great game. Again, one of the few RPG titles I actually finished.

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
I like playing a variety of different games though my list consists of a lot of zelda games, though not OoT. Here is my list:

1) Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal

2) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

3) The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

4) The Legend of Zelda

5) The Sims

6) Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast

7) Super Paper Mario

8) Okami

9) Guitar Hero: World Tour

10) Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link

HerosDescendant

Link/Starfire.
I only play nintendo games, so this is my nintendo top ten list. Here it is:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Gamecube version)

2. Pokemon Platinum

3. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64 version)

5. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64 version)

7. Metroid Prime

8. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

9. Super Mario Galaxy

10. Star Fox Assault

Halo siera 117

Eh.... senior member?
10.Megaman 2
9. Call of duty Waw 360
8. Pokemon FR/LG
7. Ocarina of time
6. Halo 3
5. FF III DS
4. Pokemon gold
3. Super Smash Bros Melee
2. Call of duty 4

1. Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past

Last edited:

Bob Majinki

Deku Director
Many people saying EarthBound, which is cool, but I think MOTHER and MOTHER 3 are better games with better storylines, personally. As for my top 10, you'll find that I love old games, and have a bias towards Nintendo.

10. StarTropics (NES)
This pretty much is on here because it is incredibly fun.

9. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GCN)
Had some problems with sailing, but apart from that it was pretty much a perfect game.

8. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (GCN/Wii)
I wish I got the Gamecube version instead of the Wii version. This game was pretty fun, and had an enjoyable story.

7. MOTHER (NES)
Mind blowing plotline and one of the most revolutionary RPGs out there; pushed the limits of the gaming world.

6. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC)
Give a game a good story and I'll jump all over it. Give it even better gameplay, and I'll love it.

5. Super Mario Brothers (NES)
This should be on every top 10 list.

4. MOTHER 3 (GBA)
Grown American men who could not speak a work of Japanese cried playing this. It was that good.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Master Quest (GCN)
I chose Master Quest because it added to the original without removing anything. Great story, very enjoyable game.

2. Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken (GBA)
First video game that succeeded at making me cry from its storyline. Beautifully created, excellent game.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
The storyline was just, beyond words. The amount of detail put into each minor character was incredible. A small change in the beginning could yield very different end results, and this game truly showed how choice in games could be revolutionary.

10. Golden Axe Warrior (Sega Master System) 09. 007 Goldeneye (N64) 08. Crystalis (NES) 07. Mortal Kombat (PC) 06. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis) 05. The Legend of Zelda (NES) 04. Super Mario Bros 3 (NES) 03. Ocarina of Time (N64) 02. Chrono Trigger (SNES) 01. A Link to the Past (SNES)

Cyrus Skyray

Gwladgarwr Tra Mad
My top 10 games (that I own):

10 - Lord of the rings (TT / Rotk for PS2) 5 - Monkey Island Series (PC)

9 - Ratchet & Clank series (PC) 4 - Age of Empires 3 (PC)

8 - Empire Earth (PC) 3 - Super Smash Bros (Melee / Brawl for Wii)

7 - Star Wars Battlefront 2 (PS2) 2 - Starcraft (PC)

6 - Warhammer 40k : Dawn of War (PC) 1 - Call of Duty 4 (Xbox 360)

Evenstevenp

The Zelda Master
10. Luigi's Mansion - A lot of people don't like this game, but I love it.

9. Super Mario RPG - This game is so fun. You can play it countless times, it never gets boring. Awesome characters, soundtrack, battle mechanics, everything.

8. EarthBound - This game is so clever, funny, awesome. It needs a spot on this list. I am a huge MOTHER fan, to let you guys know. I love these games.

7. Kirby Superstar Ultra - I loved the original, and this game makes it oh so much better. And it has awesome co-op, as long as the other person has the game too.

6. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - I love this game. Amazing graphics, awesome gameplay, ect.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - This game. This game. This game is everything. Creepy, funny, trippy, fun, awesome, dark, cheerful.

4. Paper Mario 1 & 2 - I couldn't decide which one to put, so I put both. They're amazing games.

3. Yoshi's Island - Ahhhh, memories. I grew up with this game. It's so awesome.

2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - A lot of people would argue that the first game is better, but I like this one so much more. Final smashes are awesome.

1. MOTHER 3 - Only game that ever made me cry. It's a really sad game. But it can be happy, too. It's strange to describe. But I love it.

H

HalfBlindGamer

10: Startropics (Nes)
Its great zelda like game.

9:Milons secret castle (nes)
I dont understand why people hate this game
so much. I know that some people had though
times with this but...

8: Super mario bros (nes)
Its a mario. Every people should play this
game even once.

7:Zelda: ALTTP. (snes)
Another great zelda game.

6:Lylatwars (starfox in Us) (Nintendo 64)
This is one of the first N64 games that
i have ever played.

5:The legend of zelda 2: The adventure of link. (Nes)
Its hard but its still a great game.

4:Castlevania II: Simons quest (Nes)
Great game that is bit like Loz2.

3: Super mario 64 (N64)
Best of all mario games.
Ds version of this game is bit worster.

2:Zelda: The wind waker
Great game.

1:The legend of zelda: ocarina of time
Perfect 3D game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom