• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Favorite Video Games

General Lee

Classic Gamer
Ive looked through the threads and found nothing on games of all time so here it is. They can be classic modern whatever just in your opinion top 10 games of all time.

1-Harvest Moon 64: This is one of the games I grew up on as a kid, and its really what got me into the Harvest Moon series. As Ive posted in other threads, I would play this game for hours on end and never get bored. Who would have thought a farming game would be fun?

2-EarthBound: Not many people know about, or own an actuall copy of this game, and I have played both the emulator and the SNES version and the SNES version is better to me. This game is such a creative RPG. I really don't think there is any other game like it other then the Mother series. It also has a massive fan base, but most just play the emulators.

3-Double Dragon: Arround here, there is not many arcades so what I do when Im craving a good oldarcade game I play Double Dragon with the NES Advantage controller. This game too me has some of the best music on an NES game, and controlls.

4-Sonic the Hedgehog 2: This is another classic I grew up on, and as a kid Id watch the Sonic cartoons every Saturday, and I actually had a few shows on tape but I seemed to have lost them. And as I have stated in other threads, this is what I think of when you say the word "Sonic". A blue hedgehog racing arround Green Hill Zone witht he awsome music, and just thinking man this game is cool.

5-The Legend of Zelda: Now to be hounest Im not that great at this game, but I still love it. If you ask me its the kind of game you could just keep playing. The music is great and it was a very different game from the other NES titles. The only thing I would change though is the overhead veiw. I didn't like that much.

6-Banjo Tooie: This is another one of those "I grew up on them" sorta games. This was one of the first N64 games I beat, and I never regret the countless hours I spent playing it. I mean a bear and a bird? Thats really creative, and I just love the stages and music.

7-Castlevainia: This game is just an awsome game. Period. There is not too many vampire games to choose from on the NES nevermind good ones. This music was great and the controll was ok the jumping was the only thing for me that threw it off.

8-Pokemon Ruby: Im not much of a modern gamer, but when It comes to Pokemon, Its no different. I remember when the pre-order date for this was released, I was at my grandmas house int he United States, and I picked up the phone and called my dad and told him to pre-order it for me. I like how different it is from the older Pokemon games, but I still enjoy it.

9-Mario Kart: I have beaten this game so many times, and it still never gets boring. Its just one of those kinda game if you know what I mean? When I got it, I played it for about 2 hours straight untill my mom told me to stop :P.

10-Super Smash Brothers: Me and my friends used to have SSB tournements for candy. It was pretty fun. Ive pretty much master the controll on this game and my favorite characters are Captain Falcon, Link and Ness. Ive masterd the falcon punch on that game too. I usually have perfect timing.

Last edited:

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
You are missing a lot of great game... Final Fantasy VII, Ocarina of Time, etc...
Pokémon ruby on the list? i don't think there is a single pokémon game that deserves being there, even though I like the series.
Castlevania is good, but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is way much better.
Earthbound Rocks,period.
Super Smash bros is good, but, as well as other tiltes, shouldn't be there.
Super Metroid or Metroid prime 1, where is any of it?
Majora's Mask as well.
Also, Mario Kart is good, but if there are 2 mario games that deserve to be there are Super Mario World and Super Mario RPG... those were my 2 cents to this thread.

Edit:

Here is a better Top 10, imo

10- Super Mario RPG
09- Kingdom Hearts
08- Metal gear Solid IV
07- Super Metroid
06- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
05- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
04- Final Fantasy VII
03- Super Mario World
02- Earthbound
01- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Last edited:
10. Star Trek: Conquest Wii - I'm sure everyone else and their dog disagrees with me, but being the huge Trek fan I am, this game got dozens of hours from me.

9. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Wii - Had everything I loved about OoT. Need I say anymore?

8. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 Genesis - The first one was good, but this one was better. Add all of the winning elements of the first game, add some new winning elements, and guess what you get? A winning game of course. :D

7. Final Fantasy X-2 PS2 - Yes, many of the die-hard FF fans hated it, but this was a continuation of X, (which I loved even more) which really made me dive into the story of the game even more. Add a battle system that has really grown on me, and this game deserves to be in my top ten.

6. Super Mario Sunshine GC - I thought the idea behind this game was great. People are always wanting something new, and they got it with this game, for better are worse. I actually enjoyed the water gun. :P

5. Legend of Zelda OoT N64 - My first Zelda, so naturally it's my favorite. I had never played a game like it before, and I was left amazed the first time I played it.

4. Kingdom Hearts Series PS2 - Easily the best RPG I've ever played. The real time battle system works to perfection, and while the plot can be a bit trippy at times, I still enjoyed it.

3. Final Fantasy X PS2 - I had never played a FF game before, and this game taught me how great FF games are. Never before had a game absorbed me so much. I couldn't get enough of the characters, story, and the awesome battle system. KH makes a better RPG, but this game has been the only game that has actually awakened emotions of happiness and sadness.

2. Super Smash Bros. Series - What can I say? This is the ultimate multiplayer game for me. When I have some friends over, we can play any SSB game and never get tired.

1. Super Mario Galaxy Wii - Yes, it's the best game I've ever played. The reasons are quite obvious.

Zeanith

The Shadow Knight
10. Super Mario Sunshine
9. Final Fantasy X-2
8. Banjo--Kazooie/Banjo--Tooie
7. Mario Kart Wii
6. Super Smash Bros. [all three]
5. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
1. Kingdom Hearts [all three]

General Lee

Classic Gamer
You are missing a lot of great game... Final Fantasy VII, Ocarina of Time, etc...
Pokémon ruby on the list? i don't think there is a single pokémon game that deserves being there, even though I like the series.
Castlevania is good, but Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is way much better.
Earthbound Rocks,period.
Super Smash bros is good, but, as well as other tiltes, shouldn't be there.
Super Metroid or Metroid prime 1, where is any of it?
Majora's Mask as well.
Also, Mario Kart is good, but if there are 2 mario games that deserve to be there are Super Mario World and Super Mario RPG... those were my 2 cents to this thread.

Edit:

Here is a better Top 10, imo

10- Super Mario RPG
09- Kingdom Hearts
08- Metal gear Solid IV
07- Super Metroid
06- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
05- Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
04- Final Fantasy VII
03- Super Mario World
02- Earthbound
01- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Ok I understand why you would be confused by my list. I am a classic gamer, so I rarely play modern games, so I could see why youa re confused why some of the modern Castlevainias, or Final Fantasy are not on my list. As far as OoT, in my opinion OoT was good but not great. And trust me there are other people on ZD that think that too (im not crazy :P). And pokemon is pretty much just because...its pokemon...and maybe there is a better game but its opinion. As far as you list goes, Ive never played about 4 of them on there. But again its opinion, and yours is different from mine.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
The Legend of Zelda

The Legend of Zelda 2: The adventure of Link

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

The Legend of Zelda: Wind waker

Super Ghouls ´n Ghosts

Metroid Fusion

Castlevania

Mega Man 2

Trojan

These could be my top ten games (I´m bad at making lists and often change my mind). I will not try to rank them, would be impossible. It might look like a strange list, but the fact is that I´ve probably not played much more then 50-60 games during my life, and most of them I played during my NES era, quite some years ago.

I actually just started to play Super Ghouls ´n Ghosts a couple of days ago. I´ve only reached the 5th level but I know I will love it all the way (but will I make it all the way D:), even though it will be hard like few other games.

I had completely forgotten about Trojan but I heard of a collection for the PSP (Skull_Kid told me about the collection). I looked it up on wikipedia and saw the name Trojan and I started to remember some exciting days from my childhood :)

Megaman 2 is another game I haven´t played since the late 80´s (or was it the beginning of the 90´s?), I loved Megaman 1 & 2, and thinking about it I believe the 2nd game was a bit better.

As you can see, I am a Zelda fan, the Zelda games I´ve mentioned are the ones that have appealed most to me.

Made_Of_Win

Hugh Jackman's Boxers
1. Resident Evil (original PS1 version)

EASILY my #1 game. It was totally different from any game I have ever played before and I remember my jaw dropping as I watched the intro. It was the first time I had seen a game with a "movie" as an intro. It was amazing and there were so many copycat games afterwards but nothing beats RE.

2. Streets of Rage 2

I love the entire series but part 2 stuck out for me. It has the best soundtrack I have ever heard in my life and it never gets boring. The only problem with it is it's too short but that's pretty much teh problem with every Genesis game.

3. Ocarina of Time

One of the longest games I have ever played and one of the best. I enoyed the storyline and it's what really got me into Zelda games in the first place. Everything about the game was aboe and beyond.

4. Sonic the Hedgehog 2

I remember my brother and I worshipping our mom on a school day when he let us stay home to play it because I had made it to the end of the game and we didn't want to turn it off and have to do it again later. Another game with a great soundtrack and great replay value.

5. Resident Evil 2

This game was so good, it almost overshadows the original (some even think it's better). The story, the characters, everything was very well done and I enjoyed the way they set up the Leon/Claire scenerios, that was a cool idea, so you could see what happened from both sides.

6. Need for Speed: Most Wanted

My 360 screwed up and I had to get another one, which meant I had to start this game all over again after making it up to spot #3, but the joy about this game is that it's fun so it isn't a problem to have to redo everything. Beautiful graphics, a fairly solid soundtrack and exciting cop chases. I'm a big fan of racing games and this one is my favourite.

7. Mortal Kombat

Never would have thought a game as violent as MK would fly very well in our sensitive society but I remember being 7 years old and being in love with this game. It's an instant classic. Too bad it's been raped over the years. Plus, Raiden is one of the coolest characters ever.

8. Street Fighter

So many memories. Pretty much what helped kick start fighting games and introduced the world to Chun Li, who would go on to being one of the most popular female video game characters ever. Not a huge deal for some but it's nice to have a female character who is popular with both males and females and paved the way for future female fighters.

9. Resident Evil 5

I found this game to be incredibly fun. It was exciting to see Chris, Jill and Wesker all back in the same game together and the small twist in the game (though a bit predictable) was still pretty cool and interesting. Didn't like Jill's blonde hair but what can ya do.....Chris was a powerhouse and liked how Wesker had the matrix thing going on.

10: WWF No Mercy

My favourite wrestling game ever! I used to play it half to death. It had easy controls and was one of the most fun games I have ever played. Reply value was fantastic and it was so worth it. They make wrestling games look a lot nicer now but I still enjoy the less pretty graphics of No Mercy.

1. Simpsons Hit and Run - This was a beautiful game to me. It has a great replay value in it, and it's the best racing/smashing cars game I've played.

2. Goldeneye 007 - This one used to be my favorite for all of my child years. It was a beautiful shooter game back then and even now.

3. The Wind Waker - I love this game. It's graphics are awesome, and I luv it's storyline and ending.

4. Super Mario Galaxy - The best game Nintendo's released in a long time. Enjoyed it quite a lot.

5. Pokemon Blue - Yes, specifically Blue. I think it was actually first game I ever had, I still love to play it, and it's still my favorite Pokemon game.

6. A Link to the Past - I love this game dearly. It has an almost endless replay value, and it's a beautifully made game.

7. Ocarina of Time - Yes it's all the way down here. It wasn't my favorite game of all time, it's modest.

8. Super Mario 64 - Had awesome levels, was always fun and shall always be fun in the future.

9. Twilight Princess - Yes, TP is on here. For all I care, it was damn good game.

10. Super Mario World - Basically, super mario 64 except made a tad different.

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
1. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/A Link to the Past - I've yet to come to a consensus with myself.

2. Metroid Prime - The game that got me into the Metroid franchise.

3. Super Smash Bros. Melee - When the game is meant for multiplayer and I play it single for several years, you know it is good.

4. Super Mario 64 - That opening pan still burned into my head as one of those defining moments in gaming.

5. EarthBound - Best. RPG. Ever.

6. Conker's Bad Fur Day - Funniest game I've ever played.

7. Resident Evil 4 - The shot in the arm the franchise needed.

8. Ico - Maybe the best atmosphere in any game ever.

9. Super Mario Bros. 3 - 2D platformers don't get better than this.

10. Metal Gear Solid - The PS1 version holds so much nostalgia for me.

And as an added bonus I'll put in the other 15 of my top 25 I did last year.

11. Super Metroid
12. Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
13. Legend of Zelda
14. Mega Man 2
15. Super Mario World
16. Viewtiful Joe
17. Resident Evil 2
18. Doom II
19. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
20. Super Mario Bros.
21. Mega Man X2
22. Goldeneye 007
23. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
24. Star Fox 64
25. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

The reason why some great games like Mario Galaxy, MP3, TP, Brawl, MGS4 or RE5 aren't on here is that I like to let games simmer for a little while after multiple playthroughs and see how I feel later on. Galaxy, Brawl and TP are looking good to be on here eventually.

Last edited:

Amelie

Air Dancer
I cant really put them in order because I love them to much to choose favorites. But here is a list in just a random order.

1. Super Mario Bros. Well... it was the first game I played and it got me into wanting more games for my SNES which AlttP was one of. It is still a very fun game for me and I play it on my DS all the time still

2. The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past. What can I say? In my opinion it is the best SNES game and the best Zelda game. A true classic. It took me a long long time to finish and find everything. The only thing I am missing is the last heart piece. I know where to get it... I just cant find it. Stupid digging game ><

3. The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. Well... its the first 3D Zelda and it is really fun. The main formula is lots like AlttP but its in a good way in this game. It took me a long time to finish but I have not even come close to finding all the heart pieces. It does not have the same replay value as AlttP for me though.

4. The Legend of Zelda. I got this game for GBA from the Classic NES series and its really fun. I like how simple it is and the dungeons are very very challenging. Especially level 9. I have never tried the 2nd quest yet but it is a real classic ^^

5. Super Mario 64. I LOVE this game! I spent so much time replaying this game and I am still not tired of it. I love going back to all the courses and collecting the 100 coin star or getting other stars I missed.

6. Castlevania. Well I really love this game. I am really close to finishing it and I dont remember if I have finished it before... I have a really bad memory. But... it was the first Castlevania game and it has classic musik and monsters ^^

7. Shadowgate. Ok... maybe people have never heard of this game... but there is a NES version to. It was released on the Macintosh in the late 80s and it is a point and click adventure game and yes... its in Black and White =D I find it really fun... I guess thats why it is on this list... the puzzles are great for how old it is.

8. Super Mario Sunshine. Lots of people dont like this game. Or lots of people I know... but I love it! And lets face it... 10 games is just to few for me to post ones I really like >< Super mario bros 3 should be on here but I just dont have room... Anyway... yes... I love this game!

9. Golden Eye 007. I think my father got this game for himself for N64. I remember learning to play this game in multiplayer mode and I finally finished single player... the only shooter Im really really great at ^^

10. The Legend of Zelda Majoras mask. I think it is the best 3D Zelda... and the most unique. I love the story and the masks and everything... the side quests to. I am pretty sure I finished this game.. or watched my friend finish it... but I am almost done with it anyway ^^

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
This is hard... Other than the first 3 games, these are in no order. Also, the list is subject to change at any time.

1. Banjo-Kazooie - The perfect game. The gameplay, and the music along with the fun and creativity make this my favourite game.
2. Chrono Trigger - Time Travel. Enough said. Easily the best Snes game, IMO.
3. Super Mario Bros. 3 - Easily my favourite Mario game ever. This game probably has more memories with it than any other game I've played.
4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - This game had adventure. So much better than what the other TMNT games seem to be like, IMO.
5. Sonic the Hedgehog - For the Gamegear. This game brings back great memories.
6. Super Mario World - The best mario game for the Snes, IMO.
7. Super Mario 64 - My first nintendo game. Good memories with that.
8. Adventure of Link - Probably the 2nd video game I ever played (after SM:cool:. I've always loved everything about this game (other than the difficulty).
9. Ocarina of Time - The game that got me in to Zelda. While my interest in the game has dropped significantly, I still think it's quite fun.
10. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - I'm not gonna lie, I love this game mainly for the music.

Kybyrian

Let's start naming. I leave games out, can't expect me to get it perfect.

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Final Fantasy IV
3. Final Fantasy V
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Final Fantasy VI
6. Final Fantasy III
7. Final Fantasy I
8. Final Fantasy VII
9. Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
10. Oracle of Ages

There is my epic Final Fantasy is the greatest series ever list.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Let's start naming. I leave games out, can't expect me to get it perfect.

1. Ocarina of Time
2. Final Fantasy IV
3. Final Fantasy V
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Final Fantasy VI
6. Final Fantasy III
7. Final Fantasy I
8. Final Fantasy VII
9. Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
10. Oracle of Ages

There is my epic Final Fantasy is the greatest series ever list.

I would totally and definitely replace Crisis Core with Dirge of Cerebrus.
DoC made me cry for hours, because it was a total flop!
FF IV Ds remake is absolute jaw dropping, I got it today and saw the opening and it is quite impressive

Shnappy

derp
This is really hard to decide, gee whizershnappers.

1. The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask - Well, to be honest, there isn't really that much to say about this. Great story, interesting plot, a lot of exploration/collecting, great enemies/bosses, and interesting and complex dungeons.

2. Metroid (The original one for NES) - This game has gotten a lot of criticism for difficulty level. I used to think that it wasn't very good because I honestly had no clue what to do, but when I got going in the game and figured out more about the game and what to do, it became amazing. One big reason I prefer this one largely over Zero Mission is that Zero Mission makes you have to get certain items in a certain designated order. Heck, I could get pretty much every item before I faced Kraid or Ridley in this game.

3. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum - The 4th gen of pokemon was the best. The last 3 were great, especially the first gen (on this list). I love how the 4th gen added so much more to the series. Wi-fi, the number of legendaries was highly increased from previous generations, and the underground, to name a few. I especially liked how Platinum enhanced the story and added many more things to do post-game.

4. FF III - One of the two Final Fantasy games I have on DS (Gee, I wonder why, maybe, because, there are only two on DS?). With the Job/Class system in this game, it made going through the game multiple times more fun because you can go through the game with like 250,000 party configurations.

5. Metroid Fusion - This game was probably the reason I got into the Metroid series. I did like the story more than the other Metroid games, but it would've been awesome if they could have made the story be tied in with a little more free roaming exploration. This is the only Metroid game I have ever speed ran, or rather, the only video game I have ever speed ran. But I'm not as good at it as some other people, as I've only beaten it in 1:34.

6. Super Mario 64 - The best of the 3 non-spinoff Mario games that have been released for the 3 most current non-portable nintendo consoles. I'm not sure why, but I liked collecting the stars in this game more than I liked collecting the Shine Sprites or whatever was in SMG (I haven't played this game like at all, but I've watched my brother play it). There is not much else to say about it. It was just a downright great game.

7. Super Metroid - The last Metroid game on my list. This game is generally said to be the best Metroid game. I don't think it is the best but it is still one of the best games of all time. It felt as if to be an extension to the original Metroid, containing the same bosses but adding 2, along with a miniboss (there might be more than one). But the reason it is below the original one is because it, once again, has a designated order as to what bosses you had to defeat and what items you must collect. It is below Fusion because Fusion had more bosses and items, but that isn't as important to me as the whole exploration thing.

8. Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/FireRed/LeafGreen - The awesome 1st generation Pokemon games. to be honest I don't know why I like these more than the other 2 gens, but if I were to take a guess it would just have to be because it is the gen that features the most "new" pokemon. The reason I have the remakes up with the originals is because, unlike most remakes, this remake is like, an exact replica of the game, and what has been added is mostly optional, other than the trip to the Sevii islands after the 7th badge, and that isn't even much either.

9. The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past - I always like it when there is more to do in a Zelda game. This Zelda game didn't have that much to do out of the main game, but there was a TON of stuff in the main game. I don't know exactly how many dungeons there are, but enough to make me satisfied. Which, again, is weird, because my top is MM. Masks>Dungeons, lol.

10. FF IV - The only of my top 10 that I haven't actually beaten, I was obsessed with this one for awhile. This game has more story and interesting plot changes than most of the games I have played. I probably would have more FF games on this list if more of them would be released on DS. (I've heard great things about FF VII, so it would be really cool to put that on DS.)
Honorable mentions - Tales of Symphonia and Tales of Phantasia, because the Tales series has some downright awesome RPG's.

(Is this post too long?)

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
4. FF III - One of the two Final Fantasy games I have on DS (Gee, I wonder why, maybe, because, there are only two on DS?). With the Job/Class system in this game, it made going through the game multiple times more fun because you can go through the game with like 250,000 party configurations.

(Is this post too long?)

I believe you are a bit mistaken there...

List of DS Final Fantasy Games:

Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2: Grimoire of the Rift
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy: Chocobo Tales
Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: Rings of Faith

And I think there at least two more:)

I can't believe you putted Metroid Fusion ahead of Super Metroid... That really got me awed.
I love Fusion, and it is my favorite 2-D metroid, but I have to admit that Super Metroid is way much better

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom