• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Favorite RPGs

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
RPGs for me have been a strange genre for me. I didn't really start getting into them until later in the SNES' lifespan with games like Breath of Fire and EarthBound though I never really got into the Square RPGs at the time. So one of things I wanted a PS1 for was to finally get a real chance to play RPGs from what was considered the best RPG company in the world. When we got our PS1, one of the first games I got was FF7. Suffice to say, the game nearly killed my interest in the genre and 8 threw it off a cliff onto the jagged rocks below.

So for several years, RPGs were pretty much persona non grata for me outside of playing EarthBound a ton. It wouldn't be until I got Paper Mario for the N64 that I got back my interest in the genre and while I'm not as obsessed as my friend, Travis, I've found myself enjoying several RPGs of many different varieties, though I still loathe FF7 and 8.

Right now I am playing Persona 4 and enjoy the modern setting and trippy layout. Though I'm pretty sure I am no where near finishing it.

Of course, I'm rambling. My whole point for this thread is: What are Your Favorite RPGs?

1. EarthBound
2. Skies of Arcadia Legends
3. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Tales of Symphonia

Lots, of exposition for a pretty short list huh?

Last edited:
I'm not the biggest Final Fantasy fan either, but I really enjoyed X and X-2. All the others are meh. Pokemon is a favorite too, and I've enjoyed the later Paper Mario games as well. I've never played EarthBound, but from what I've heard, it seems like it's excellent.

My favorite RPGs are Super Mario RPG and Chrono Trigger.

I like Super Mario RPG for a couple of reasons.
First it has a cool story(well for a Mario game anyway).
Second it mix the Mario world,with the RPG world,and did a awesome job with it.

I picked Chrono Trigger for it's epic storyline,and the timetraveling was really cool.

Plus both games are fun to play.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Well, there is not much to write on this thread but I'll post my top 5 RPGs

5-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: I loved this game back when I borrowed it from a friend of mine, it was so fun, and I really loved the story. I got disappointed with the sequel.

4-Fire Emblem-Shadow Dragon: When I first got into the series, it was via the GCN game, and I really didn't enjoyed it, but I have to admit, this game is a jewel to be polished and loved

3- Secret of Mana: The First RPG I ever played, back into my cousin's snes and now on my DS. It's an awesome game with a very decent story.

2- Final Fantasy VII/FFVII Crisis' Core: I am not gonna separate them, cause they are both parts of the same story. One of the best RPGs ever, what else can I say?Oh, it has sephiroth:D

1- Earthbound: For anyone who hasn't played this game, you should really hook up to your pc and download a rom(I am not suggesting getting the original game for the SNES cause it's pretty rare and a cartridge is usually worth 75 dollars, while the full package goes up to 120 dollar). This rpg has everything: mistery, plot twists, lovable characters...

It still gets me hooked every single time I play it

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I've played a few RPG's, and there were some I liked, and other I didn't.
My favourites would definately be Chono Trigger and Pokemon. I think I need to try new RPGs though just to see if I'd like them or not.

Besides Pokemon, which is my favorite RPG as of now, I really enjoyed Paper Mario for the N64. Some RPG's can feel a little hollow to me, and make me think "do I really want to play this?". But Paper Mario was perfect, and held my interest up to the end.

I did like FF3 for the GB quite a lot, but I never got around to beating the final boss. I think I needed to find one more of the legendary swords though.

Beyond that, I'm not a huge fan of RPG's. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates was another exception, as I like real-time combat more than turn based.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I oddly didn't really get into the whole RPG genre, even though I really enjoyed playing some older RPGs on the NES and SNES. I can't think of what they all are, but I enjoyed Super Mario RPG (definitely!), Ultima (NES), and one of the Final Fantasy's for the NES. I really don't remember which one it was though.

Amelie

Air Dancer
The legend of the seven stars
Paper Mario
Paper Mario thousand year door
AoL (if you can count that)

Other then that.. Im not a really big fan of RPGs

Wow, I can't believe I forgot Kingdom Hearts in my earlier post. Really, this game is among one of the best RPGs I've ever played. I think the main reason I like it so much id because of its amazing real time battle system. Battles go so much quicker than with a turn based system, which allows you to follow the storyline with a nice flow. Others disagree, but I thought the story in this game was very well thought out and organized.

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
So no one is of the obsessive RPG fan who buys RPGs of most niche variety?

My friend buys all these RPGs that I would otherwise never heard of, like Ar Tonelico. These RPGs are so niche that they are even niche in Japan.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
Well, there is not much to write on this thread but I'll post my top 5 RPGs

5-Final Fantasy Tactics Advance: I loved this game back when I borrowed it from a friend of mine, it was so fun, and I really loved the story. I got disappointed with the sequel.

Unfortunately I have limited experience when it comes to RPG´s. But when I see that a game like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance made it to your list I guess I should be glad that my experience is limited, because I never really understood what was so great about it! I never understood which characters should be developed and used, and why.

But I might try EarthBound someday since it´s recommended by many and including you my friend :)

Kybyrian

1. Final Fantasy IV
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
4. Final Fantasy VI
5. Final Fantasy V
6. Final Fantasy I
7. Final Fantasy III

Final Fantasy is a great RPG series. :)

Chrono Trigger is a very old RPG, but it is a very outstanding RPG. Very unique and has a great story and plenty of ways to play it. A lot of work was put into that game, I can tell.

And anybody who has played Super Mario RPG can't help but say that they love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom