• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your Biggest Technology Catastrophes! :)

Dan

So here's a rather interesting thread I'm sure we can all relate to, I must advise caution before you go on, this does require a bit of thinking, not much, you just need to recall an event, so it should be okay. :)
I'm sure we have all done something very bad with our computers, Ipods(heh the worse thing you can do with one of those is buy one in the first place hehe) and hell even our calculators. So perhaps you can share a few with us.

Just recently on my second desktop I tried inserting my headphones, the usb ports at the front were a bit wonky, for some reason my USB wouldn't fit inside the ports and I decided to just pull it out. A couple seconds later I had a rather horrid smell go up my nose. I bent down to look where it was coming from, of course I assumed it was my computer, then I saw a flash of light as my computer NEARLY caught on fire. It turned out my headphones managed to somehow rip the protective plastic that covers the USB port off, and the pins came into contact with each other.

Okay now it's your turn you little scamps. :)

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I installed Homebrew onto my Wii and it crashed after a few weeks. It's almost working again, but some of the Brawl textures are corrupted....

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I spilled coke all over my keyboard, which I had bought just a month prior to the accident. One of those Razer gaming keyboards, but it was pretty bad anyway so the only person who suffered was Mr. Wallet. ;)

Although something really horrific was once my headphones got entangled with my legs without me noticing it, they were connected into my PC obviously and it was sitting on top of my desk at the time, my mother said she needed help with something and I rushed out of my room, tripped since I got stopped by the chord and pulled my headphones and entire PC with me down on the ground. Thankfully the PC survived, but my headphones got completely demolished and I got a bloody nose, ever since this I have kept my computer down on the floor and went with wireless headphones. :lol:

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
I'm pretty good with technology. I've had a fascination with computers since I was kid so I feel like I know a decent amount about 'em especially computer problems.

Anyways, there was this one time I opened up my old desktop CPU tower to do some housecleaning. Afterwards, I put everything back, plugged everything in, and restarted it, but the mouse didn't work. After trying everything I knew of software-wise to get the mouse to work, but it turns out I forgot to plug it in. The kicker is that by this point in time I had already smashed the mouse on the desk in frustration, and broke it.

Not my finest hour. The question 'is it plugged in' is always the first I seek to answer now when things don't work for me >_>

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Let's see, there was that time in college where I was eating before class (carrot sticks dipped in yoghurt), I got up and put on my jacket, but accidentally knocked the small jar of yoghurt spilling it all over the school computer's keyboard (there were many computers stationed on the tables outside the classrooms). I ended up being 15 minutes late for class because I had to clean the keyboard (unplugged and held it up-side-down and first wiped off all the yoghurt I could find, and then I cleaned the individual keys of the keyboard with moist tissue paper until it was no longer sticky) - thankfully I didn't cause any permanent damage.

And then there was that time at work where a client's old TV had stopped working due to lightning. We had just come from the store, having picked up their new TV and me and my colleague was installing it for them. The old TV was so stuck (the power chord was caught behind this huge cabinet) and since it was broken and would be thrown away anyway, we decided to cut the power chord with a pair of scissors. We unplugged the TV, then I cut the wire and we pulled it free - however when I then pulled the wire loose it turned out we had unplugged something else and the TV was plugged into a power socket we hadn't even seen was there... thankfully the socket had been burnt out due to the lightning strike otherwise I could have been electrocuted... :S

And not technically a catastrophe, but an absolutely hilarious technological misshap, once at another job I was leaning on the keyboard without realizing... suddenly the screen was completely up-side-down... thankfully the colleague sitting at the desk next to me used to work at a computer helpdesk, thereby had encountered every computer problem imaginable, could quickly tell me the key combination that would rectify this situation (and man did I have fun with that key-combo at work after that...)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I was supposed to turn off the power breaker for my dad because we were fixing light fixtures, but I hit the wrong one and he almost died. He suffered a really bad shock :(

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
"Hey Ez, you can carry the computer, right?"

"Yeah, sure!"

"You got it, right? Don't drop it."

"I won't!!"

I dropped it. :(

Dan

I'm amazed at how many people messed their keyboards up... okay statistically speaking only two of you did, but anyway my keyboard went through hell and still worked. I spilled cola, milk, crisps, jelly, and all sorts of other food and drink in it. My friend would always joke that I was feeding my keyboard. Still worked after all that.

bunny

birb overlord
Ah, I dropped my DS Lite in a parking lot... It survived for a few months, but one day when I opened it up, it just... fell apart. That was the end of my pink DS Lite... I had also dropped a couple of DS games in the toilet on separate occasions. (don't ask.) Those all survived, though.

Umm, let's see... I let the battery in my 64 gb iPod Touch run down so many times that it practically lasts for about 2 hours before dying. That sucks compared to how long it used to make it. I guess that's not really a "catastrophe" since it still works and all, but still... :I

I've also accidentally hurled my computer onto the floor a few times... It's usually when I have my headphones plugged in and they get tangled or something, so when I get up really fast for whatever reason, my computer goes flying. It hasn't died yet, though it could be the reason I have to turn my laptop upside-down for it to turn on...

Mido

Version 1
I unwittingly put my DS inside my bagpack full of heavy books, causing the screen to crack. I was very sad, after owning the DS of over seven years. :sad:

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I put my DS Lite in my pocket when I went to school. Keep in mind that this was a fairly small pocket. Anyway, nothing really happened to it, except...
Well, I haven't had a DS Lite since that day...

T

TwilitSecret7

I made the worst mistake of letting my friend borrow my BRAND NEW dsi and charger for the night. He returned it the next day with a; Top screen that now tints anything blue, a very influential blue, A touch screen that has a half hour response time (That went over well when replaying spirit tracks), broken L and b buttons, broken camera, lost sd card, and a charger cord that had been badly chewed by the very aggressive team of pug and ferret, and he broke my systems programing somewhat when he thought it would be a good idea to try out his action replay. I was in a very bad mood that day. :dry:

Clank

Hmm
Hmmm, why are there so many broken DS's?

My worst failure would have been breaking my Xorg through a PPA...Simple 15 minute reinstall fixed that one...

-left my GameBoy SP on the back of the car; never saw it again
-got my phone stolen out of my locker even though it was closed
-jumped in the pool with my phone in my pocket
-threw my iPod on the concrete ground, completely cracking the screen; still got it fixed though

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
My little brother was running around and busted his chin on some piece of computer hardware. Had to get it stitched. Sure, the technology ITSELF wasn't at fault, but still...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom