• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your biggest gaming regrets

Hello. My name is Spirit and I have a gaming regret.

I stopped playing Pokemon after Generation 2. After trying and enjoying X & Y I decided to play some older entries.

I played ORAS, B&W, Pearl and also tried Moon when it came out.

I didn't like any of them.

But I did miss Heart Gold and Soul Silver. HGSS top many best of Pokemon game charts, and I regret not buying a copy when I had the chance because now they are super expensive and no copy I have ever found has the Poke Walker.

I wish I'd played HGSS because they have recieved so much praise and I still prefer Gen 2 over every other gen I have played.

Such regret...

What are some of your gaming regrets?

Perhaps it was a game you skipped?

A game you bought instead of another?

Perhaps you stuck with a game to the end and really regret the time you spent with it?

Last edited:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
My biggest singular regret would be buying a Switch for BotW. Spent a lot of money for a game that I simply didn't enjoy. When I realised that I didn't like BotW it came with the realisation that there wasn't a single other game announced for Switch that I had any interest in and I'd basically spent over £300 on a paperweight. I sold my Switch within two months of release because just the sight of it sitting there, unused, made me feel awful.

There have been times when I came to regret video games in general. There have been two points over the years when I couldn't stop fixating on how much of my life I'd spent on games and had nothing to show for it. Both of these points resulted in me selling my consoles and games to purge them from my life. The problem was I had nothing to replace them with so quickly fell back into the habit. The most vivid moment of this regret actually came from HGSS, funnily enough. 2nd gen has always been my favourite, too, so SoulSilver was a day one purchase for me. It's absolutely fantastic, easily the best Pokémon game I've ever played. But there was a point when I looked at my time played, saw ~300 hours, and I just thought "You could have learnt a language." Once that thought was there it wouldn't go away.

I still sometimes feel that way about video games, but these incidents have taught me to prioritise only games I am extremely confident I will enjoy (although I was 110% sure I'd love BotW and, well...), or games that are short enough to be beaten in a few hours so I don't feel like I've wasted time on them.

Biggest regret, deleting a save file on my memory card that I got from a friend, for a game I haven't beaten, thankfully though, I've been working on beating that game.

Also, I think that same file is on my Mom's memory card, but I want to beat the game for myself.

Accidentally deleted my Pokemon Diamond that had over 500 hours into it & a complete Pokedex, from back when you could trade online.
Absolutely devastated.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
jesus christ my thread on games regret passing up was 5 years ago...
well let me recap some of that

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
I saw it in circuit city, I didn't like Marth from melee so I passed it b/c I though Ike was Marth. EASILY my biggest regret due to the value of it and just how good the game is anyway.

Paper Mario 2
Saw this at best buy, I passed it up b/c I though I already had enough Mario games. Fast forward to 11th grade where I did a borrow trade thing w/ my friend. I gave him Pikmin New Play Control on the Wii and he gave me Paper Mario 2. Playing through it made me realize how big of a mistake it was for me to pass it up all those years back, it's such a good game.

one of the Zelda oracles games
Saw it in La Curacao, I had a GBA in my house but saw that it was Game Boy Color. I had zero clue that I could play GBC games on it.

A game I could've regret passing up was Pikmin 2. I wasn't too interested in it but there was nothing else in the store that I wanted so I just settled for that. I'm so glad I did b/c I love Pikmin 2.

Pre-ordering Aliens: Colonial Marines, then playing it.

It is the worst high budget FPS games ever made. ****ty gunplay, ****ty gameplay mechanics, stupid AI, and awful graphics.
You know, the stupid AI is actually a glitch due to a typo in the game's code, if you mod the game you can fix the typo and the AI will work properly again, but honestly even that's not worth it.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
You know, the stupid AI is actually a glitch due to a typo in the game's code, if you mod the game you can fix the typo and the AI will work properly again, but honestly even that's not worth it.
I know, but the rest of the game is so poorly designed that it just pisses me off. And even with the fix, I find the AI to still be pretty stupid.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
My biggest regret is buying a Wii Poo. I bought it under the impression that it would have an exclusive original Zelda game yet this never happened.

It had a crappy HD Brawl port with the story mode omitted in the form of Smash 4 which I decided not to even get.

It didn't even have a decent 3D Mario game.

It basically became a dust collector and it didn't even play blu ray films like it's competitors which was annoying.

I have a couple of other memorable regrets such as FSA which I regretted immediately and took back to the shop the next day for a refund.

The other one was Rage which started out ok and I liked that John Goodman voiced a character but the game quickly became a borefest so I gave up. I had heard Rage was the winner of awards yet I could not understand why it was so bad. That made it all the more dissapointing.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Hello everyone, I'm SMS and I have a gaming regret, or two... Here are my confessions (in no particular order)!!!!! :kawaii:

Things I regret but I'm like, eh, whatever

1. My first regret is never getting a Gameboy Advanced for myself. I had friends let me borrow it to play some games, mainly Zelda games, but I wanted to take the plunge into the other Donkey Kong Country games that I knew were ported to the console. I had a SNES but I didn't have much desire to plug it in over the Nintendo 64, Gamecube, or my Playstation 2. I also wanted a portable gaming experience to keep me occupied while I was on the go waiting around to get into the Doctor's Office, on the bus, during car trips, etc... as a child.

2. When I was a kid I had a tendency to mess around with game settings and screw things up. I ended up deleting the full roster in Super Smash Bros. on the N64, and never earned each hidden character in the game ever again.

3. I sold my copy of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed because on my second re-play I got stuck in a certain portion of the game, so I quit playing and then decided to sell the game because I thought I wouldn't want to ever play the game again, but I kind of do, so I regret that decision. It's tricky spot though, because I bought it for like 5-10 slammos back in 2011, if I was going to rebuy it I wouldn't pay anything more than that same price range. It is a super short game, afterall.

4. I also regret selling my original copy of Starfox Adventures because I got it for free from a friend who didn't like it. I recently decided to repurchase it to get my Gamecube library looking complete again, plus @Libk and @Mido got me all nostalgic about the game again. I mean, I guess it ended up I probably invested about the same price the game maybe retailed for back in 2002. I got like 20 bucks pure profit when I sold it because it was a free copy, then I had to pay about 45 slammos to get it again, but may as well tack the 20 into that to say I got the game for 25 slammos. This game is definitely worth that price to me, still, free game > not free game - i.e., I should have never sold it to begin with.

5. I regret spending so many hours in The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age. I had a desire to beat it, yet I hated everything about the game.

Things I regret that cut super deep!!!!

1. Majora's Mask has always wrestled with Ocarina of Time as my favorite Zelda game. Anyway, I'm a physical collector, and even though I may have games displayed for systems I no longer play, I'm still proud to have those games on display in my library. When I was about 8 years old, my cousins who lived a few cities away came to visit, and they were also into games, so I decided to show off the beginnings of my gaming library. I already had a huge amount of N64 games, and my collection of Gamecube games was well on its way. One of my cousins liked Zelda, but not nearly as much as I did. First, he saw that I had The Legend of Zelda: Collectors Edition and he tried to guilt me into giving it to him. He acted all excited, he hugged it (yeah, idk…).

"He's always wanted that game!" His two brothers excitedly said.

"Can I have it? Please? I've wanted this game so long!!!" He pleaded.

I said, "No." and I snatched the game out of his arms.

So then he decided to fake cry to make me pity him. There was no way in hell I was giving that game up though. He may have wanted that game, but that game was my absolute favorite game in my possession at the time.

They didn't stop there though, they persisted in trying to give them games, actually give them to them, not borrow. 15 minutes of that and they got me to crack somehow, I told them they could have my Majora's Mask cartridge after they argued they didn't have the game, and I already had a version of the game on the Collector's Edition anyway. I let them leave with it, then I immediately got depressed that I let them screw up my library. I actually considered the Majora's Mask cartridge my favorite N64 cartridge of them all because of the holographic label it had. I also had sentimental value with that cartridge because it helped through a rough time when I was young. Since I'm already deep here; around the time I first started to play Majora's Mask, I experienced an odd issue where my left leg was temporarily paralyzed. I don't recall much about what the problem was (which is bad, I know), it was either I had a virus that weakened my leg, or my own immune system turned on me and started to attack my leg? I can't recall which one, I hope and suspect it was the former, because the latter is associated with some bad life long condition I hope I don't have, and I'm pretty sure I that I don't have, because I've never had any similar issues since. Anyway, I was bed-ridden for 2 weeks and it would have been torture if it hadn't been for Majora's Mask.

Not a day went by that I didn't regret giving that cartridge away.

2. I let a friend borrow my copy of Super Mario Sunshine and I never got it back, and for many years it was hands down my favorite Mario game. I've never re-purchased the game to get it in my library again, I will probably do so soon, though. The regret here isn't just letting it be borrowed to begin with, but also that it took me so long to decide to repurchase the game. Gamecube games got hella expensive right at the time I've decided to fill the gaps in my collection from years ago, if I would have started doing it only 5 or more years ago, they weren't as expensive.

3. I had a friend who had the first Metroid Prime, and he said he disliked the game, but was certain I would like it. So he offered to give it to me for free on 4 separate occasions, but I didn't take it. I did research on the game and I'm like, damn, I passed on one of the best games the Gamecube has to offer 4 times.

4. Getting hyped for Skyward Sword. My hype was not fulfilled. I regret letting myself believe it was going to have a huge overworld, or that it might be openworld.

5. I used to have 4 Gamecube controllers, and one day I had a weird idea for my N64. What if I modified one of my Gamecube controllers to work with my N64? It was worth a shot, I thought! So I got wire snippers and took the end of an N64 controller wire, cut it off, and did the same thing with a Gamecube controller wire, just enough to be managable to work with. I was going to rig the Gamecube wire so that it would connect to the N64, but there was a problem: the Gamecube had 3 wires, the N64 only had two! I couldn't find a way to tie in all 3 wires, and I tried different combinations of only 2 wires, but with no luck.

Years passed, and I left those controller wires disconnected. When I'd have friends come over to play Super Smash Bros. Melee, Mario Kart: Double Dash, Naruto: Clash of Ninja, etc..., we now only could play 3 at a time. Eventually I rehooked the Gamecube Controller, but I regret not doing it sooner because there were times a friend, or even I sat out of games when we could have all played together if I still had that 4th controller working. There were also times we purposely excluded friends from getting together so we could keep it to only 3 players, and that's the regret here because I feel like that was a pretty ****ty thing I did on a few occasions back then.

----------

There you go. I feel like another weight has been lifted from my giant backpack! I'll maybe see you all here again next week. :)

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
There are a few off the top of my head (going in ascending order from least to biggest regret):

4) In general, just not getting around to playing games quick enough. Like I definitely let my backlog build up over the years, and I'm finally going through and playing a bunch of games that are on it now. And having played so many great games over the past few months, I'm just like "Why didn't I play this sooner? What was stopping me?"

3) Not getting some games, the most notable for me being Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Banjo-Kazooie. Like I rented those games and beat them, but man, these days I just really long for having actual copies of the games and being able to replay them, y'know? Definitely regret not having gotten them when I had the chance.

2) Falling out of Pokemon. Like, I was definitely into Pokemon for awhile when growing up, but after getting and playing SoulSilver in 2010 I sort of just stopped playing Pokemon and caring about it. I'd see news about the new games that came out but I just didn't care. I ended up getting Y for free via Club Nintendo, and then I got Omega Ruby for Christmas in 2014, but I still didn't really care about the series. It was only recently over the past year and a half that I've really managed to rekindle my enjoyment in the series, having played 8 main series Pokemon games to completion and then some (Crystal, Platinum, SoulSilver, HeartGold, Black, Black 2, Y, Ultra Moon) over that time span. I definitely regret having stopped playing it, though, but I'm glad I'm back into the series now and I'm definitely happy to be picking up Shield on release date, regardless of the negativity surrounding SwSh.

1) Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. Man, like Banjo-Tooie was my first ever game. I rented Banjo-Kazooie a bunch. I loved those games. I was so excited watching the initial trailer for Banjo-Kazooie on the Xbox 360. My main motivation for getting an Xbox 360 was so I could play it! I was so excited to get the game! And then we got absolute garbage that was an utter disgrace to the series. I hated every moment I spent playing it. Really wish I never got the game, really wish I never played it, really wish it never existed.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
3) Not getting some games, the most notable for me being Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Banjo-Kazooie. Like I rented those games and beat them, but man, these days I just really long for having actual copies of the games and being able to replay them, y'know? Definitely regret not having gotten them when I had the chance.
dude I had the same thing w/ sonic adventure 2, I rented it a few times I may as well have just gotten it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom