• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Young Zelda Fans/ N00bs

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
I am 12 and a Zelda fan, a REAL zelda fan. OoT and MM type, a lot of people on here seem to think that any 'young' zelda fans are all n00bs, yes, i own 5 zelda games and 3 of them are recent ones (TP, PH,ST) yes there are a lot of young zelda 'fans' who own one of the ds games and then consider themselves an expert but dont know anything about the older games but some people seem to think that all young zelda fans are utter fluffybrains when it comes to the older games. thank you for reading and sorry for the rant :)

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
True fandomism doesn't depend on age or how many games you own or have played. People often make it sound like the more you played a game the more of a fan you are. That's wrong. People who have played most or all of the games are more known to the world of Zelda but this doesn't make them bigger fans. True fandomism is in your heart and how much you love the world of (in this case Zelda) your beloved game. I really love the Zelda world and it's interesting but I have only finished 5 games. But I don't mind what others say. Neither should you. And I'm sorry but I don't like competitions about who is the biggest fan.

Linkette

Heroine of Time
I'm 14, I've been playing Zelda games for just over a month, I've played 10 games (5 of them complete) and yet I know I'm a true Zelda fan. Also very important notice: The fandoism can't be measured in amout of merchandise you've got. I think it's called an obession. Like Bigelover88 said "true fandoism is in your heart"

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Which people have been telling you that younger players are "n00bs"?
The chances are, these people are just trying to satisfy their ego, don't listen to them.

Like bigelover88 said, age doesn't make you more or less of a fan, it isn't a competition. Anyone who loves the series is just as much of a fan as anyone else who loves the series, regardless of age.

Austin

Austin
I've actually never seen anything HERE that discriminates against age. Elsewhere on the interweb, sure, the "I'm-older-than-you" card i played whenver someone needs help in an argument. But, yeah, pretty solid and fair community going on here.

PureLocke

A Hero of Time
Hunting down and playing many of the games is one way to show how much you enjoy the games. The thing is whenever games chage incarnations the fans of the older version always deride the new kids until they have played the older version for comparison. The ones that are the worst offenders are probably the new kids who have played the older games, it's a vicious cycle.

DayDreamer

Wahoo!
meh just blow it off dude, people who say that dont realize that it would makes them a noob since that played when they were little too.
Im 14 and been with zelda for awhile now [i think i have like 9 games or so,maybe 8]
Plus without younger generations the series wouldn't continue.

SheikahWarrior

Randomus Pervertus
thank you for your replies, but seriously, i bet any amount of rupees that if one of these older zelda fans challenged me to a zelda quiz, i would win hands down :D and i have only really been a 'true' fan of the series for about 2 months ( and most of that was spent trying to get the hang of the controls on OoT :/ ) :)

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Hunting down and playing many of the games is one way to show how much you enjoy the games. The thing is whenever games chage incarnations the fans of the older version always deride the new kids until they have played the older version for comparison. The ones that are the worst offenders are probably the new kids who have played the older games, it's a vicious cycle.

It may be true that it's a vicious circle.
But the older players and users of this forum should really know better, it's they who have to set an example.

TreeHuggerPanda

The tree hugger of Hyrule
Gee, you don't have to be super old to be a true Zelda fan! A true one enjoys playing the games and stuff, but it come from the heart, if you love it or not, not because you played every single game, named your child "Link" or "Zelda," (I would do that though;)) or even own every Legend of Zelda merchandise, that's just obsession, but like Bigelover said, true fandisom comes form the heart.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
A true or real Zelda fan is not some hoarder who prefers the old games over the new ones. If that was the case then Nintendo should stop making new games and just let people play the old games.

It is based around how much you love the series and how you are going to stick to it as long as you have the chance. I will never abandon the series as long as I live and shall pass it down in my family, from my children and hopefully to their children. That shows I am a true fan.

Take the Sonic fanbase for instance you have the fans who clamor for the old games and the fans who don't care. Those fans who clamor for the old games are not true fans as they do not stay with the series that goes ahead.

Though you may rebutt that if the series falls from it's prime that should be a good reason to hate it, but in truth that is still not being a true fan. Is is good to be a true fan though? That is the question.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I am both old and new. Let me explain.

My first exposure to the Legend of Zelda game series was when there was only one game: The Legend of Zelda - an 8-bit adventure I got for my 10 (or was it 11th?) birthday along with an NES. I played it to death and back, second quest and everything. I remember watching my brother in law play and how he drew out his own map by observing frame-by-frame on a huge sheet of cardboard (mostly because we were having trouble finding the infamous 7th dungeon). This was before the Internet (or at least before I was aware of it). No GameFaqs or Walthroughs or Zelda Dungeon.

Now, I wound up commandeering AoL from my sister's family when they were getting rid of games and played that one to death, too.

Many years past, and a few years ago, I discovered A Link to the Past via my fiance's SNES and an acquistion at a Goodwill. (By this time, the game was already old).

Then, only two years ago, I got to play a little of a friend's copy of Twilight Princess - my fiance', seeing how enthralled I was, picked up a used GameCube and a copy of the game. I played it through and got obesssed.

I grew up on the originals, but grew up largely ignorant of of subsequent Zelda games. I play Twilight Princess through once and suddenly I'm on the Interent writing fan fiction, drawing fan art and hanging out in disscussion forums. Now, I got to play Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on a borrowed collector's disk.... I acquired the Oracles Series... I've played through Wind Waker once. I played OoT Master Quest. I have Soul Calibur II and Smash Bros. Melee for the Zelda character cameo goodness.

In short, though I grew up with Zelda ages ago, my obession and true fandom didn't begin until about two years ago.

It doesn't matter how old you are, but how hot the obession runs in your heart.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
It does bother me when people claim to be experts on the Zelda series, but have only played like 1 or 2 games. It doesn't bother me when they claim to be fans. If you think you're a fan of it, you are, and no one else can tell you otherwise. The way I see it, the more Zelda fans, the better. :)

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I don't necessarily associate age with "noobishness", but I will state that I believe the younger generation is less likely to pick up an older Zelda game (in general). I will also go to say that the younger generation is less likely to fully appreciate (or even be able to appreciate) the older games. Why? Because, in general, the younger generation associates "good" games with graphics and mass character development. In general (yes, I'm going to keep saying "in general" because most people never pay attention to what I say and just skim through), the younger generation has been spoiled with newer games and think that an older game is no good because it's not up to par with what today's games have to offer.

That's not to say that many newer games aren't better. Lots are, but there are still many of the younger kids (and people new to gaming in general) who can't really appreciate old games like The Adventure of Link because they can only compare it to their experience with today's more updated graphics, music, character development, etc.

And then there is noobishness in comparison to others. When I hear "a REAL Zelda fan. OoT and MM type", I can't help but chuckle a little to myself. The Zelda franchise was around long before OoT, and just as it irks me a little to hear people who consider being an OoT-fan makes them an anti-noob, it'll one day irk today's "noob" Zelda fans when people consider TP a game to make them an anti-noob (if that makes any sense at all to you).

In any case, we were all noobs once. I hate that being a noob to Zelda is considered bad. Why? It's awesome to discover the Zelda series and fall in love with it. In fact, being a noob to Zelda is exciting! It's wonderful when you discover a series you really like and you can't wait to play all the others!

In any case, your age and how many Zelda games you've played.... it doesn't matter. Noob or veteran, being a Zelda fan is a great feeling. And hey, even the oldest of us turn to noobs when Zelda takes a new turn. How about when Zelda moved to motion controls or stylus controls? We all became noobs again in a sense, because we were completely new to that style of Zelda gaming. So, really, we all grow with Zelda, and whenever the series takes a leap into the new and unknown, we revert back to some level of noobishness, and I think that should be embraced and not ridiculed..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom