• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild You Can Make Your Own Choices in Zelda Wii U and Make the Story Your B****

At first a source:

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/231010-aonuma-talks-about-story-freedom-in-zelda-u

I guess this confirms, that we are going to see much more stories like the one in Skyward Sword. There could even be more paths to those stories. It felt so awesome giving this love letter away as toilet paper. It wasn't just black and white (morally) in my opinion, I helped one NPC and chose to not help another one (okay, I was a little bit of a jerk). This decision felt right for me and I'd like to see lots of similar but deeper story possibilities in Zelda Wii U.

On the other hand I'd prefer it, if the main story will be simple and pure as usual. Like a fairy tale. No need for different endings imo.

Salem

SICK
I don't think he means the story will literally change, I think it's more like in ALBW, he also said cutscenes will be rearranged based on what dungeons you complete first or something(I don't remember the exact quote). I think it's more like you can do some main quest objectives at any time you want.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Yeah I don't think he's making that big of a change. In fact he's more so referring to the whole linearity thing again. I would expect that, from his words, you'll be able to complete a set of quests in any order you want, which will most likely mean that you'll slightly alter the story.

Honestly I wouldn't expect this to change the actual main arc, but more so the stories that connect into the main plot. If you really think about it, A Link Between Worlds had this; however it was devoid of a story throughout the main quest that didn't show. This is how I'd expect it to be: let's say you complete the fire themed area before the forest themed area, the people in the forest area might acknowledge what you did and some slight details may change. Think of it slightly like the time concept in Major's Mask where you would do some things differently on that specific day and you'd notice subtle changes.

This is all speculation at the moment, but I'd expect the nonlinearity to have minimal impact in the main plot, but instead affect the lesser important plot lines.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
First off, great title. I love it

Secondly, and on topic to the discussion, it really makes me excited. Cause I hate linearity... When it's like well you have to do x before you can do y, and you have to do y before you can do z, which means you MUST do x y z. It just always bothered me, it was never creative or anything. A Link Between Worlds really hit the nail on the head, when they basically just let you loose once you got to Lorule. I hope it's something more like that, like Majora's Mask or A Link to the Past. And it really makes me happy that he's said that's their initial cornerstone

Thanks!

But what do you guys think about those little story elements, in which you have to decide, are you going to help character a or creature b, because the problem is too complex to solve both problems. I think, Aonuma indicated that he wants to expand on this idea, giving you a choice and bringing you with your moral standpoint into the game. Did you help the hand out of the toilet or Grooses little friend with the love letter?

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
As far as the core story goes, I hope for a strong linear narrative like the one shown in SS and other Zelda games. I like the Zelda stories, I think that by sticking to a strong linear narrative it produces memorable stories.

But as far as the side content and the smaller story elements that don't have major effects on the plot, heck yes let's make some really interesting choices. I loved how SS had those choices, having us choose between helping Colwin or messing with him, I want to see this sort of thing everywhere in ZeldaU. Also, instead of just saying "Yes" or "No' you could say stuff like "Nice hair" or "Us? Alone?" or "Am I late now?", and I want to see these kinds of dialogue options available in ZeldaU as well.

I would hope that this means a Shadow the Hedgehog style branching story, but I think this has more to do with non linearity than the main story. One thing SS did get right was dialogue options and things like the Peatrice subplot, I'd love to see more of that but with noticeable effect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom