• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Yoshi's New Island Discussion Thread

Fig

The Altruist
What's up happening forums? As with my Kirby: Triple Deluxe thread, I'd figure that with the release of Yoshi's New Island for North America is less than a few hours from now, why not create a thread to discuss about Yoshi's New Island. On hindsight, this thread should have been made months ago, practically around the time of E3. Nonetheless, I feel that Yoshi's New Island will be successful and provide a decent if not greater amount of sales for the 3DS. If have never been familiar or you are a classic fan with the original Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's New Island returns to its roots and provides an abundance of new levels, features, and extras to keep you playing. If you enjoying exploring and collecting everything that the game has to offer, Yoshi's New Island is the perfect game for both newcomers and old fans alike. More information will be provided as the game is released across the globe.

E3 Trailer:
[video=youtube;BTxIsg0iABE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTxIsg0iABE[/video]

Intro & Opening Cutscene:
[video=youtube;tJ5-_-Q0M2o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ5-_-Q0M2o[/video]

Yoshi's New Island Commercial:
[video=youtube;uTbetLBrOvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTbetLBrOvQ&list=UUGIY_O-8vW4rfX98KlMkvRg[/video]

Transformations & Abilities:
Yoshi's New Island - Mine-Cart Yoshi Gameplay (3DS)
Yoshi's New Island - Flutter Wings Gameplay - World 3-7: Lose the Lunge Fish (3DS)
Yoshi's New Island - Bobsled Yoshi Gameplay - World 5-1: Brave the Bumpty Blizzard (3DS)

Minigames:
Yoshi's New Island - Flutter Finish Multiplayer Gameplay (3DS)
All 2P Minigames in Yoshi's New Island

GameXplain Video Review: Yoshi's New Island - Video Review (3DS)

Gameplay, Analyses, Discussions, & Screenshots:
Yoshi's New Island World 1-1 (E3 2013)
Yoshi's New Island - All 3 Levels + Boss Gameplay Footage (E3 2013)
Yoshi's New Island - Raw Preview & Impressions (E3 2013)
Yoshi's New Island - Nintendo Direct Gameplay Footage (12-18-2013)
Yoshi's New Island Discussion - Nintendo Direct Thoughts & Impressions (3DS)
Yoshi's New Island Trailer: It's a Shell of a Time (Transformations are back!)
Yoshi's New Island gameplay - Nintendo Direct (2-13-14)
Yoshi's New Island - Super Yoshi Gameplay - World 1-7: Ground-Pound Rebound (3DS)
Yoshi's New Island - Puzzle Gameplay - World 2-2: Inside the Outside (3DS)
Yoshi's New Island - Boss Battle Gameplay - World 3-8: King Clawdaddy's Sewer Castle (3DS)
Yoshi's New Island Q&A: Your Questions Answered! (Story, Graphics, Transformations, and more!
Yoshi's New Island - Fire Melon Gameplay - World 3-3: Harry Hedgehog's Labyrinth (3DS)

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
I'm keeping myself completely blind to this (as I do for most games I get) until I get it myself tomorrow. I've seen the basic trailer and that's all I really wanna see! This looks like an absolutely brilliant game, and the graphics, level design, power ups and details all look splendid! :D

Salem

SICK
I'm a HUGE fan of the original SNES classic, seeing this made along side ALBW proves that someone out there loves me.<3

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I'm with Blue, the art style just puts me off big time; it's too much in your face and over the top for my liking.

Gameplay looks solid and I'm sure it will be a great plarformer, but something just doesn't click. Nintendo seem to love side-scrollers and the sheer amount that they produce just takes the shine off a new installment within the platforming genre. So yeah, I'm not really invested.

This is the first time I have bought a full on 3DS Game digitally because, due to the Graphical nature of this game, I felt it would be embarrassing to buy Physical at my Local GAME Shop. Regarding the game it's self... It's not bad by any means, but it's Yoshi's Island is one of those franchises where if you played one of the games, you played them all.

The whole principal of the game is to reunite Baby Mario with Baby Luigi which is pretty much the aim of every Yoshi's island game, which strikes me as odd because after free installments it seems that the stalk has no idea who Mario and Luigi's parents are. I haven't played too much of this game yet to make a conclusion, but from the looks of things the most bugging thing about this game at the moment is the Childish Art style and the Plinky-Plonky music.

Last edited:

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
Alright, I've played through World 1 of this game so far, and here is what I have noticed. There may be spoilers in this, so don't yell at me if I ruined something for you :P I'll mostly be observing the major and minor differences between the original SNES game and the 3DS New Island version, since I think that's what most people are thinking of.

Major Differences:

Mechanics:

This game plays great, as I have come to expect from any Nintendo game. Whether you wanna play it the classic way or the 3DS way, there's options for both. You can use the Circle pad to move, and the x button to shoot an egg, or go old school and use the D pad to move, and the R button to shoot. The best of both worlds!

New vehicles have been added to the game! So far I have gotten to transform into a Cart of some kind, possibly a carriage, and a hot air balloon. Here's what happens with these transformations: You enter through a door with a symbol above it and you enter a mini-game like room. You enter a timed challenge where you lean the 3DS back and forth to maneuver through the mini-game, and A to jump/stop, etc. I have only played two of these, so I don't know if it is ALWAYS gonna be like this, but I have a feeling it is. I somewhat like this and somewhat don't. The thing about the transformations in the old one is that they felt integrated into the environments, not just tacked on. Even if they were in their own rooms/segments, it still felt natural and seemed to go with the flow of the game. In New Island, they feel as if they are now just transitionary periods between one segment of the game to the other. Also, time limits suck, in general. I hate them. But they had time restrictions for the powers in the original as well, so I suppose there isn't much different there. Overall, I like this. I was surprised by how steady the leaning controls were. I recall thinking "Oh jeez, not leaning the DS, this is gonna suck!" But it was very smooth, responsive, and accurate to my motions. A very good use of gyroscopic features of the 3DS without feeling gimmicky.

Of course, there's the giant egg. Not much to say that hasn't already been shown in trailers. Its a destructive powerhouse that is a blast to use. But I have noticed something else: in the original, you were only able to get yellow and red eggs if you either picked them up when given to you, or if you rescued an egg while it ricochets. Now, these different egg types are just handed out no problem. They can be randomly spawned while swallowing an enemy, getting them from a block, from the flower egg spawner, etc. This was interesting, but nothing game changing. Blinking red eggs (red coin eggs) have changed to a purple color, and are still only given in special situations.

Finally, the last major change I noticed was the ending of each level. In the original, you jumped through a ring. Depending on how many flowers you found in the level (max of 5), you had a higher and higher chance of getting a mini-game if you landed on the flower in the random spin. Now, instead of a mini-game for items/lives, you get these things called "Egg medals" (I think). These are medals that can be obtained when getting the flower in the random spin at the end, and the amount you get depends on how many flowers you collected in the level, with a maximum of 5 per level. A maximum of 30 can be collected in each world. All I have noticed with them is that you get an extra life when you collect 10 of them, but I haven't gotten above 18, so I don't quite know the full potential of these medals.

Cosmetic:

I see a lot of people here complaining about the graphics here. I'm gonna try to remain neutral as I can here, but this particular part will have some of my opinion so PHEH. The 3D looks excellent, as always. I have noticed no "ghosting" of 3D graphics, something that was very apparent in past 3D games. The mixture of the 3D and 2D graphics is well blended and looks aesthetically appealing. The colors are bright, cheery, and fun. Dungeons have nice hues of dark colors without getting muddy or painful to look at. Some people who compare it to the original may not like the Yoshi's Island/Yoshi's Story graphic combo, but I absolutely adore it. Its charming, fun, colorful, and gives me a lot of nostalgia for the original SNES game.

Minor Differences

Mechanics:

The game mostly recaptures everything the original had in terms of game feel, but there are some minor mechanic changes that I should go over. For example, getting 5 flowers no longer results in a 1 up.

Doing ground pounds on those logs has a different feel as well. Instead of Yoshi going down with the pole, he sort of hovers above it, then falls. This gives the ground pound a bit less impact, and gives away a bit of the feeling of power, but it isn't anything too distracting.

The mid boss, so far (world 1), is not an actual boss. I actually faced Kamek in a very simple puzzle, instead of, say, that one dude with the big nose and the underwear. I was a bit disappointed by this. This means less big boss fights and more Kamek mini-fights. A minor trife, but still there.

The only new enemy I have encountered was during the final boss. It was called the "Mean Bean" (or something like that) and, you can guess it, it was a jumping bean with a doofy face. They're basic, easy to kill enemies, but a nice little addition, although a bit uninspired. A little green bean with no limbs that jumps around is...eh, alright I guess. Also, if this is an enemy from another game I have not played in the Mario franchise, I apologize.

Cosmetic:

Red coins no longer have a color difference, making them blend into regular coins much easier. They are spread around much more thoroughly as well, making red coin collecting a bit more challenging than before.

On the level select screen, there are no longer pictures resembling what you will find on each level, just a basic coin-like shape for the regular levels, and a castle for the boss levels. Kinda made me sad, I loved that about the originals. :( But its still nothing jarring and it doesn't hurt the game one bit.

So far, that is all I can say about this game, only getting through the first world. I cannot comment on its difficulty, for I have only played through level 1, but I hope it meets that challenge that the original had towards level 8. So far I'm having a blast, and I highly recommend this to any lover of the series! :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom