• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art Yoru No Hikari

univpark

Heart of Steel
I'm writing a Warrior Cats fanfic that I would like review on. However...I am going to start writing in the middle-end-ish of it...Because I'm not sure how the beginning is going to play out. That's still in progress. But these are my best chapters so far. In order.

These are about a cat named Dusk. She comes off as a very cold character, as she doesn't talk much and when she does, her comments are usually not the kindest. There is also Dawn, the cheerful cat that is constantly hanging around Dusk, Moon, the blind she-cat who was kicked out of her clan when she was little. Sun, Moon's brother, is deaf.

And little Rainpaw...

Starting with this chapter...

Chapter ?? (Same Mistake)

~~~~~

“Dusk!! Rainpaw’s in a trance!!” Dawn called from under a tree.

“What!? Dawn! When did this start!?”

“This morning! Moon’s really worried.”

“Where is he!?”

“He’s next to the stream in Nightclan!”

Dusk bounded out of the tree that she had been sleeping in using a huge leap.

“Take me to him.”

Dawn bounded away. “Over here!”

Dusk ran. Rainpaw…

She reached the clearing. Dawn raced off to find the others.

Rainpaw looked up at her approach. “Dusk! I’ve gotten stronger, haven’t I? Ever since I met you, I’ve been learning so much, but I’ve never felt it like today. That I’m strong…”

“No, Rainpaw. You’ve become weaker. Even weaker than you were.”

Rainpaw gasped. “Dusk…What did you just say?”

Dusk bent her head slightly. “You’ve gotten weaker.”

“Why? I beat a warrior today! But you…You tell me…If that’s what you think, then fight me!! I’ll make you understand just how strong I’ve gotten!!”

Dusk breathed in sharply. She saw…him… Why did this remind her of…him!? Why!?

“What’s wrong? Or are you…scared?” Rainpaw smirked.

“Rainpaw…I can’t fight you.” Dusk looked at him.

“What?!” Rainpaw gasped.

“See you.” Dusk padded away.

~~~~~~~

Did I make…

The same mistake!?

Dusk walked on.

~~~~~~~

“Dusk…” Rainpaw watched until he couldn’t see her, memories flashing through his head, Dusk teaching him some moves, and Dusk ‘losing’ on their practice battle.

“Why…?”

~~~~~~~~

Chapter ?? (Memories)

~~~~~~

Dusk strode to the clearing that she had found. The one with the dark pines surrounding it. Yes, this would work. She looked up at the sky, where she noticed billowing black clouds to the east.

Moon padded into the clearing, followed by Dawn and Sun.

“I had a feeling that you’d be around here!” Dawn mewed with a smile.
Dusk bent her head slightly to acknowledge her.

Dawn made a little sound in her throat and looked around. “Kinda gray, isn’t it?”

“What do you want?” Dusk looked at Moon and Sun.

“I hate having to say this to you…But….We need your help. Please fight Rainpaw…!”
Moon ground her teeth a little at having to ask Dusk, of all cats, to do it.

Sun stepped forwards. “I’m asking you too. You know how Rainpaw has been acting strangely…And I’m not saying that it’s your fault, but…”
Sun remembered that Dusk had spoken to Rainpaw that day.
“Since that day, Rainpaw’s changed!”

Dusk looked aside, a bit regretfully.

“But I’m sure if you fight him, he’ll…” Moon exclaimed, tail sticking straight up into the air.

“You don’t have to tell me that.”

“Uh!?” The trio exclaimed.

“It’s why I’m standing here right now.” Dusk looked at the three.

Dawn turned. “Looks like Rainpaw’s here…”

Dusk turned her head and saw Rainpaw standing there, more than a little confused.

Rainpaw padded up. “Dusk…?"

“Unsheathe your claws, Rainpaw.” Dusk glanced over at him.

Rainpaw stopped and stared. “Huh?”

“I’m challenging you to a fight!”

“But you said…That you wouldn’t….” Rainpaw stuttered.

“Yeah. So I did.”

“Then you’ve finally realized how strong I am!” Rainpaw’s eyes gleamed as he smiled in anticipation.

“No. You’ve gotten weaker.” Dusk looked at him coldly.

“That was harsh…” Moon looked at Dusk. Who is she to talk to him like that? Why did I ask her again? I should be doing this…Well…Maybe not. But why did I ask her!?

“And I’m going to prove it to you here.” Dusk narrowed her eyes.

“I see. So you still think of me like that. So be it.
After all, you’ll learn better after you fight me.” Rainpaw stepped forwards, smiling eerily.

I’m counting on you, Dusk. Dawn looked on as they took their places. “We need to back up.” She motioned with her tail for Sun’s benefit.

“I’ll show you how strong I am!!” Rainpaw yowled.

Dusk looked at Rainpaw a little sorrowfully and got into the form that Rainpaw used to always use to fight.

Rainpaw’s grin widened. “So that’s what this is about.”

Sun looked at Moon. “I guess this is what you would call a fateful encounter…”

“I’m going to show you the power of what you threw away in your haste to become stronger.” Dusk gave Rainpaw a frigid stare, contempt in her eyes.

“Try it, if you think you can!!” Rainpaw growled.

Rainpaw lunged at Dusk. Dusk neatly sidestepped, but Rainpaw dodged around and swiped at Dusk’s back. Dusk dodged again. Rainpaw twirled in midair. “That’s my signature move.” He said as he landed on Dusk. Dusk shook him off. “You call that your signature move, Rainpaw…?” Dusk whispered, remembering Moon teaching him a move that he used to call his favorite. “I’m going to come at you full-strength until we collide…” She said to herself. “I won’t make the same mistake I did then…”

~~~~~~~~~~~

Many moons ago, I was left on the border of Willowclan and the Misty Forest. I wandered into the forest. Of course, a kit cannot survive on it’s own…so the mist spirits brought me up.

And then I met…him.

~~~~~~~~~

A bored-looking dark red cat was looking around. Dusk was older than she had been, but had only just moved to this part of the forest. She watched the other cats taking their lessons and sighed. She lay down and took a nap next to a dead tree branch.

After they were done, the dark ginger cat approached her.

“Hi, I’m Kage! Who are you? You’re obviously new!”
(Pronounced Ka-ge)

Dusk stood up and looked at him. “What does my name matter to you? You interrupted my nap because you want to fight, don’t you.”

“Would you teach me some stuff, please? You’re really good! I was watching you fight that angry tom earlier!” Kage did a little hop.

“Fine.” Dusk stood up and took him to a clearing with gray grass.
“Let’s have a practice fight.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“No big deal.” Dusk looked at Kage. She had beaten him without breaking a sweat.

Kage looked at Dusk, admiration glowing in his eyes. “Wow!! You’re so strong!!”

Dusk sighed. Kage was a little annoying.

“Would you please be my teacher? Please, please, please?”

“Are you sure you want me?” Dusk meowed in surprise.

“Yeeeeeeesssss!!!!” Kage bounced on his paws.

“Fine. My name’s Dusk.” Dusk nodded and padded away.

“Yaaaaay!” Kage smiled, jumping up and down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kage wasn’t the strongest cat, but he wanted to be able to defend himself. His strength improved, slowly, but steadily. We had fun back then, with Kage’s crazy speech and behavior that was on display even in fights, which made me laugh many times over. I didn’t hate being with him. Not at all.

That’s right.

It was fun.

But it all came to an end that one fateful day…

That day when Kage…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had noticed that Kage was acting strangely. He was defeating all of his buddies. They came to me, saying that Kage was strong, scary strong.

I met Kage in our clearing. He looked at me.

“Dusk! I’ve gained power! No one can defeat me!”

Kage never talked like this. “Just because you win once in awhile doesn’t mean you can act like this!!”

“What!?” Kage was shocked. “I’ll show you my strength! I have gotten strong!!”

“What are you talking about?” Dusk looked at Kage in confusion.

“I’ll show you. I can hear the voices of the mist. I have obtained incredible power, Dusk…”

“What…?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What was that power that Kage had gotten a hold of?

At the time, I didn’t know.

All I knew was that Kage had changed.

And not for the better, either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“What’s this?” Dusk padded up to Kage. There were a bunch of cats gathered around him.

“Dusk! Together, we can achieve victory! Together, we can win! I’m organizing a tournament. The first ever in our forest!” Kage yowled at the sky. “Together, we can soar to even greater heights!”

“I refuse. Unsheathe your claws. I’m challenging you to a fight!!” Dusk glared at Kage.

“Dusk…”

Kage leapt at Dusk, trying to knock off her balance. Dusk swerved around, but Kage ducked underneath and threw her off. Kage leapt onto her, and tried to land a heavy blow, but Dusk swerved, narrowly avoiding the blow. Kage grinned. “Can you see yourself, fallen on the ground? In front of me?” Suddenly, they were in a different world. Dark trees towered around them and there were no stars, let alone a moon.

“This is…” Dusk whispered.

"What do you think of my image, Dusk?" Kage looked around proudly.

"This is an image!?" Dusk asked in surprise.

"Yes. It’s different than the one that you’re always talking about, that starry meadow in Starclan. This is the power that I spoke of! My power! This is where you’re going to lose…!” Kage became swathed in darkness, and for a second Dusk saw a second him inside of it, but not for long. Dusk grit her teeth.

"Don't foist your images on me!!" Dusk broke the image with her forceful yowl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wanted Kage to remember…. what he used to want to use that strength for…
And those fun days that we had had…But…

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kage leapt again, more accurately this time, and almost sank his claws into Dusk's back.

But before that could happen, he collapsed.

"Kage!"
Dusk caught Kage, trying valiantly to hold him up.
“What’s wrong? Kage!! What…?”

"I got stronger...Didn't I, Dusk...?" Kage whispered before losing consciousness.

"Kage..." Dusk whispered as she left him next to the tree and silently padded away, her eyes hardening as she faced the truth: Kage was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I abandoned Kage.

No. “I ran away” is more accurate.

So I moved back to my part of the forest and began living by myself.

Without Kage. My friend. And instead, I got…

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Dusk! Dusk, is that you!?” A cream-pelted she cat bounded up.

Dusk kept walking.

“Dusk!! It is you!

You do remember me, right? Dawn? It’s me!” Dawn smiled and did a little hop.

“Leave me alone!” Dusk turned and kept walking.

“W-wait a second, Dusk!” Dawn bounded after Dusk.
“Dusk, c’mon!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was full of rage and sorrow…

….That I couldn’t stop Kage…

…And, more than anything, at my own weakness!

If I had beaten Kage then, I might have been able to stop him from becoming this merciless monster.

If only I had had the power to overwhelm his…I decided to become stronger.
To earnestly seek out power…

And one day…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“P-please fight me!”

Dusk turned to find a small Clan cat staring up at her.
“Sure, I’m game.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I taught that little beginner some moves during our lukewarm fight.

Normally, I would’ve refused. Refused vigorously.
But…

I was actually enjoying our practice fight.

Just like back then… With Kage…

I had forgotten… That parts of life are, by nature, fun. I had let my emotions consume myself. And I had forgotten that fun.

You made me remember that…Rainpaw…

And yet…

You changed. Just like Kage…Just like my old friend...

~~~~~~~~~

“I’ve gotten stronger, haven’t I?”

“Fight me!”

“I’ll make you understand just how strong I’ve gotten!”

“Are you afraid of losing to me?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’m sorry, Kage.

I wish I could have stopped you. Before you became fully like this. But I believe that you are still in there. Somewhere in there, there must be some shred of you left…

I wish I could have helped you.

I shouldn’t have run away. I shouldn’t have abandoned you.

But this is the path that I have chosen.

And we walk different ones now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I couldn’t stop Kage…

…But this time will be different!

I can’t afford to run from or lose this fight!” Dusk raised her head.

Dusk ducked under Rainpaw, slithered out, and jumped on top of him.

“Do you remember this move?”

Rainpaw smiled. “Of course.

It was my former favorite move, but I threw it away to become stronger.”
Rainpaw giggled, a disturbing sound.

Moon gasped in horror. Had Rainpaw really changed that much?

“Wrong.” Dusk looked at Rainpaw. “Then and now, this move has always been your signature.”

Rainpaw smirked.

“Rainpaw, this time I’m going to teach you…” Dusk whispered.

“What true strength is…”

“And I’m going to stop you!!” Dusk yowled forcefully.

Oh! I'm sorry, this should be under writing...I just realized when I was editing it...

Last edited:

Skunk

Floof
Very Good! I know this isn't the beginning as you say it isn't, but perhaps it could be like one of those rwndom excerpts of importance that they put in the beginning of every book? My onoy concern is that you mainly have dialogue between the characters. Are you planning on making this into a script? Also, I wrote a fanfic for Warriors twp years ago and Rainpaw was my character's name! :)

univpark

Heart of Steel
Really? My friend came up with Rainpaw's name. And yes, this chapter is mainly dialogue, however, I am not planning on making it into a script. I have a prologue already, but it's very short. About one page... (Who cares?)

These are some important chapters in the book, however, as they explain why Dusk acts the way she does. I think I might put the prologue here...

Prologue

~~~~~~

Sunday lay beneath the willow, her heart beating slowly, adapting its pulse to the willow's inner melody. Her Dawn, Dusk, and Noon were in their respective places. Her life energy began to seep into the ground.

She redirected it. Into the tree. She felt its strength, to bend and never break, even in the strongest storms. But she felt an odd weakness engrained into the wood. As if...? No. Impossible. A curse? From...him? NO! Simply inconceivable! Why would...he....waste his energy on this tree!? Unless...it was a special tree. But why would there be a special tree? There wasn’t one in those myths and legends of old. So…why? Oh well.

In that case...If it was different...Well, then. It had to be saved. An entire quarter of her energy went into fixing that little curse. As for the rest, it all went to the other parts of the tree.

The tree shimmered and little glowing orbs began to flit from branch to branch as it began to grow, its leaves shimmering, its trunk golden, and its soul gaining all the strength, all the power, of the part of the Universe that was Sunday. Sunday felt the tree’s comforting aura, and knew then that this particular tree would flourish and provide for Willowclan as best it could. She hoped that it didn’t get cut down by the tall ones who walked on two paws and had pink skin and fur only on their heads. She couldn’t imagine this tree being cut down by one of them, with one of those horrible monsters with impenetrable skin. She shuddered, just at the thought of it.

Sunday closed her eyes...

(I don't know. This part felt really weird to write...And it's a little confusing.)

Dusk bounded out of the tree that she had been sleeping in using a huge leap.

Consider omitting "using" and altering it to a word like "with".

Dusk strode to the clearing that she had found. The one with the dark pines surrounding it.

Merge these two sentences. *Dusk strode to the clearing she had found, one enshrouded by dark pines.

“I had a feeling that you’d be around here!” Dawn mewed with a smile.

That sentence was beautiful.

Dusk looked at Rainpaw a little sorrowfully and got into the form that Rainpaw used to always use to fight.

*With a solemn look on her face, Dusk glanced at Rainpaw and undertook the position her opponent traditionally used for combat.

(Pronounced Ka-ge)

Not to be picky, however, most professional writings don't include parenthetical notes on pronunciation.

Very strong conclusion switching between the current confrontation with Rainpaw and Dusk's remorse and remembrance of the encounter with Kage. Your writing is strong, univpark. It still requires further polishing but you'll achieve something more in no time.

univpark

Heart of Steel
Thank you! I work really hard on my writings!

And on the pronunciation, well, I am constantly having to remind almost everyone who has read this how it is pronounced...I copy/pasted this directly from the original document, so that won't be there...Later...

univpark

Heart of Steel
Chap 1. (Once again, very...short...)

Dusk lay on the middlemost branch of her tree, looking at those heavenly bodies. The stars. What had her mother told her again..? Oh.

"Can you see those stars? They are the greatest spirits. They are your ancestors. That is where all the good dead cats go. What? Where do the bad ones go? A deep, dark forest in the sky, far past StarClan. The Dark Forest is where the worst go. Once, long ago, the Dark Forest arose, and tried to take over the clans. Long, long ago..."

Dusk believed. Even if no one else in the forest did. Dusk looked around at the mist below her, extraordinarily glad that she wasn’t sleeping in it. The spirits of the mist were getting restless with her. Their patience was waning. Memories flooded back to Dusk. Her getting lost in the forest as a kit, the spirits of the mist teaching her everything that she needed to know to survive, even fighting skills greater than any Clan warrior, and a knowledge of herbs, albeit not as good as a medicine cat’s. Dusk sighed. The mist had taught her so much, but only because they wanted to see her fight to the death against them. She knew that she must escape the Misty Forest soon, and go somewhere else, as she had long ago.

Dusk stretched, her lean muscles tightening, and got up. She looked over the forest, as she did every morning. Hmm? A disturbance? Was that a kit? What!? Dusk leapt out of the tree and began to run, swifter than the dawn could break or dusk could fall. She had to get there before something awful happened. A painful memory shot through Dusk's head and she crumpled to the ground...Only to remember something that she could never forget.

A cat...With unnatural red, swirling eyes...The one that she had mentored. Lunging at her throat. Not being able to attack, not wanting to hurt him... Yet…
A body, hunched against a tree…

Dusk shut her eyes tight and locked the memory away. Not now! She told herself as she once again began to blitz through the mist, through the forest, pushing away her very memories, as they were inconsequential at the moment.

Faster. She had to get there in time. Before a spirit might decide that it wanted a taste of a cat’s body.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom