• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Yet Another Timeline Thread

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
It wouldn't be the first time. Paper Mario is a book in the Mario universe. There's precedence in regards to Nintendo logic and storytelling.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
It's not like the Zelda series hasn't used the same character designs before. It's much easier to just use the same model and deisgn as before - especially in a game so close to LBW. Do we know for sure that he's the same guy? Or is it just an assumotion based on his appearance?
Also, in TFH, Link is recognized as the chosen hero because of his looks. Most people ib Hytopia would probably be able to recognize him from sight alone because of that.

Except he specifically says that he personally met you before, and since he isn’t in PH, ST, or even WW, that leaves the only other two games that have a similar looking merchant: LttP and LBW. Since LttP already has 3 direct sequels and that link already seems to be a very busy guy, the only timeline placement that even makes since is where it is currently. Since it also states that this link is a hero from another land, that means it can’t just be a new hero that just happened to meet the merchant prior to the game, unless Nintendo decides to release a prequel to TFH, which is unlikely based on how much people seem to dislike the original. But once again if it were up to me it wouldn’t be canon in the first place.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Except he specifically says that he personally met you before, and since he isn’t in PH, ST, or even WW, that leaves the only other two games that have a similar looking merchant: LttP and LBW. Since LttP already has 3 direct sequels and that link already seems to be a very busy guy, the only timeline placement that even makes since is where it is currently. Since it also states that this link is a hero from another land, that means it can’t just be a new hero that just happened to meet the merchant prior to the game, unless Nintendo decides to release a prequel to TFH, which is unlikely based on how much people seem to dislike the original. But once again if it were up to me it wouldn’t be canon in the first place.
Not every epic tale needs to be introduced in a game. He could just be another hero from an event we're unaware of. And once more, just because we've seen that merchant before doesn't mean that the times we've seen him have been the only times he's existed.
Yes, one could say the evidence points to your suggestion, but the evidence doesn't prove it, leaving it open to interpretation. And honestly, everything else - the atmosphere, the world, etc - points to it being in an ST-like world, and I find that evidence to be more compelling than the lone merchant who is tied to those other games on design alone, in a series where character designs are often reused in different eras of the in-game world.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Not every epic tale needs to be introduced in a game. He could just be another hero from an event we're unaware of. And once more, just because we've seen that merchant before doesn't mean that the times we've seen him have been the only times he's existed.
Yes, one could say the evidence points to your suggestion, but the evidence doesn't prove it, leaving it open to interpretation. And honestly, everything else - the atmosphere, the world, etc - points to it being in an ST-like world, and I find that evidence to be more compelling than the lone merchant who is tied to those other games on design alone, in a series where character designs are often reused in different eras of the in-game world.

I honestly don’t think it feels like it belongs in the adult timeline just because of lack of references to other games in the timeline, and while I agree that my evidence isn’t concrete, it’s still more evidence than just atmosphere. I personally thought the atmosphere felt closer to LBW than ST, especially considering the only thing art-wise that changed to the toon style was link himself. I also think that it wouldn’t be natural progression of the timeline for it to take place after ST, considering we have trains in that game, it would make more sense to have the next game set in a more modern world, something TFH isn’t in.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I honestly don’t think it feels like it belongs in the adult timeline just because of lack of references to other games in the timeline, and while I agree that my evidence isn’t concrete, it’s still more evidence than just atmosphere. I personally thought the atmosphere felt closer to LBW than ST, especially considering the only thing art-wise that changed to the toon style was link himself. I also think that it wouldn’t be natural progression of the timeline for it to take place after ST, considering we have trains in that game, it would make more sense to have the next game set in a more modern world, something TFH isn’t in.
The art style isn't everything about the atmosphere. Hytopia, to me, feels much more modern of a world than most other parts of the Zelda universe, to a level similar to ST. Even if we don't see the technology (which would make sense, since I believe the Tracks were specific to New Hyrule due to all the backstory kerfuffle). Not to mention the obsession over looks and fashions almost feels like a commentary on our world in a way (possibly why it feels so modern to me).

thePlinko

ZD Legend
The art style isn't everything about the atmosphere. Hytopia, to me, feels much more modern of a world than most other parts of the Zelda universe, to a level similar to ST. Even if we don't see the technology (which would make sense, since I believe the Tracks were specific to New Hyrule due to all the backstory kerfuffle). Not to mention the obsession over looks and fashions almost feels like a commentary on our world in a way (possibly why it feels so modern to me).

Well I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Did the book even say so? I only have the version that came out along with skyward sword, the one with the white cover with link on it, so naturally LBW, TFH, and BOTW weren’t in it.
I believe they were added in Hyrule Encyclopedia, but I didn't even bother with that book it had so many terrible changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom