• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xenosaga: game or movie?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
So I've been looking into getting on the Xenosaga series, but from what I hear on episode 1,the story is the primary draw of the game (as expected from an RPG) but the gameplay is monotonous grinding. After some research I found that they made a DVD version w/ only the cutscenes. However,I hear they cut out a handful of key plot points in the DVD version.So I basically want to know if I should go for the video game or the movie,as both seem to have their own drawbacks,but which one should I put up w/.

..ok that sounds pretty negative,,instead which one would any of you recommend? Is the gameplay as bad as its described as?

Triforce King

Pathfinder for life
Well I haven't played Xenosaga yet, but if you want my honest opinion, I say play the game first so you can appreciate the anime more later. I know for me, when I watched the Devil May Cry Animated Series, I was completely lost of who the characters were and their relation to Dante, but after I bought the devil may cry hd collection and finished devil may cry 3, I now understand and appreciate Dante and Lady a little more. I'm working my way to the original Devil May Cry next. Sorry for getting off subject. Anyway, I think you should play the game first since it's the original source material and as for grinding, that what most RPGs do.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Well I haven't played Xenosaga yet, but if you want my honest opinion, I say play the game first so you can appreciate the anime more later. I know for me, when I watched the Devil May Cry Animated Series, I was completely lost of who the characters were and their relation to Dante, but after I bought the devil may cry hd collection and finished devil may cry 3, I now understand and appreciate Dante and Lady a little more. I'm working my way to the original Devil May Cry next. Sorry for getting off subject. Anyway, I think you should play the game first since it's the original source material and as for grinding, that what most RPGs do.
well i mean they did package the DVD version of xenosaga along w/ part 2 in the PAL regions,as they didn't get part 1
so i could just do that,watch the movie version of part 1 and jump straight into part 2
and the thing w/ the devil may cry anime is that it was a continuation of the first game,the xenosaga one is a retelling so i don't think i'll have the issue of being thrown into an already established universe

while its true that i should look into the original source material,i mainly want to know if its fine if i learn about the story elsewhere

Triforce King

Pathfinder for life
Well by all means go ahead and do it if you want to. If it helps you understand the story more, and if it's much more easier for you to access then you should go for it, whatever's more convenient for you. Yes I know, I believe the chronological order goes like this: Devil May Cry 3, Devil May Cry 1, Devil May Cry: The Animated Series, Devil May Cry 4, and Devil May Cry 2. I'm planning on playing them in that order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom