• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xenoblade Chronicles X

So I finally invested in new skells and gear when I hit level 30 and was getting ready for chapter 8..... holy crap are these things powerful, compared to just being on foot at least. I had about 1.3 million gold in hand and bought the two most expensive skells to go along with my first one. I also got the most powerful weapons for all of them I could get once I figured out how skell gear worked in conjunction with arts and skills.

Chapter 8 was a complete cakewalk, which was so strange since the game has been pretty brutal with the difficulty so far. I feel like I could take on enemies around level 50 now with this kind of damage output and HP.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Careful. Lose your skells and that gold will go pretty fast
You have no idea. I lost all four Skells to a flying fish who rains down endless fireballs. How do you prevent something like that when it's part of an affinity quest? Just wow.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Pretty sick of the way tho game is treating me now. 30hours in level 28, no skell

I'm sick of being gated, I'm sick of having things drop in or rise up and decimate me when I'm looking for a way forward on quests nearly tens of levels lower than I am....

The classes are no fun, I'm trying to max them but they're mostly boring and some of the are unwieldy if only for the camera when your character starts sliding under enemies.

I also know spoilers for the story which has made me revaluate my party which means I now have to level up a new member and levelling up is such an arduous task in this game.

I haven't even been marathoning it, so its not like I have burn out its just... Uuuuugh, be more interesting and less irritating.

The gating in this game is pretty blatant. It's pretty obvious that there are sections that you simply are not supposed to go through yet. But the worst of the worst is when things pop up out of the ground or miraculously appear in the air in front of you and wreck you. Like the spider creatures that "thread" down from the ceiling or whatever. They aren't there, then, suddenly, they are, and they're level 55 and you die. And the crabs that just burrow out from the ground and are level 60 and you die.

Even at level 42, that's happening to me. And forget flying or riding a Skell really fast. The game doesn't have time to load the in-game assets, and you stop somewhere to get your bearings, the game loads a level 70 Tyrant on top of you, and you and your entire team lose their Skells in one hit.

Sure, be more careful. Right? No. That shouldn't be an issue. It's stupid. I've never hated a game so much as this and still put 120 hours into it. I'm 119 hours in, I think. I'm having a lot of fun, but at least once a session I want to through my Wii U out the window.

Salem

SICK
Oh, another thing that bothered me.

In cutscenes, the music is too loud in comparison to the characters' voices.

The gating in this game is pretty blatant. It's pretty obvious that there are sections that you simply are not supposed to go through yet. But the worst of the worst is when things pop up out of the ground or miraculously appear in the air in front of you and wreck you. Like the spider creatures that "thread" down from the ceiling or whatever. They aren't there, then, suddenly, they are, and they're level 55 and you die. And the crabs that just burrow out from the ground and are level 60 and you die.

Even at level 42, that's happening to me. And forget flying or riding a Skell really fast. The game doesn't have time to load the in-game assets, and you stop somewhere to get your bearings, the game loads a level 70 Tyrant on top of you, and you and your entire team lose their Skells in one hit.

Sure, be more careful. Right? No. That shouldn't be an issue. It's stupid. I've never hated a game so much as this and still put 120 hours into it. I'm 119 hours in, I think. I'm having a lot of fun, but at least once a session I want to through my Wii U out the window.
The only issue there is the lengh of time you need to run away from tougher enemies before the combat stops. That is slightly annoying. But not too bad. It is a lot less in XC Wii.

On continent discovery sake, 4 of the 5 continents are very explorable. You can explore most of them at a decently low level without a skell. I started exploring the other continents at level 20 and now I am level 35 and I didn't have too much difficulty of exploring everywhere that does not require a flying skell. The spiders and crabs that appear out of nowhere and one shot you dead are very rare. It's easy to run around them or get noticed then run away and fall out of combat.
The one exception is the 5th continent, Cauldros. There is quite a few high level enemy skells and machine gun turrets that just wrek you. Also a lot of the continent is flying skell accessable only. Even with all that I was able to place down a little over half the probes in Cauldros on foot. I only found two areas that blocked me (in chapter 4, the first chapter you can explore properly). Once in Cauldros in the ruined castle. Opposite the teleporter to the mining ship. There is two turrets that one shot you dead if you get close. The second is in a tunnel under the ruined castle (also in Cauldros) there is a force field blocking your progress. I know it's not the end of the map as there was collectables on the other side I could see but not get too.

I am saying I only found one instance where enemies truly gated me early on. All of the other areas (accessable on foot) were passable with clever terrain traversing.

For the most part I don't see the high level enemies as a bad thing. I like them, it makes me think of the best route to get to a certain area. Often it is not the direct route. That kind of puzzle interests me.
  • Can I take the direct route?
  • Do I have to avoid some high level thing by wall hugging or moutain climbing?
  • Do I have to find an alternate route there?
  • Can I activate a location fast travel point (not FN) and the travel to the fast travel point, skipping the nasty enemies? (I had to do this once in Cauldros).
All of this makes exploring a real reward experience as it was not easy to get from place to place and I feel getting there past all the obstacles is a real reward in itself.

The only major exploration gating is having to get to Chapter 4 (but not complete) to get access to the other 4 continents and a flying skell to access the few remaining areas of each continent. I reckon 75% or more of the game is traversable without a skell. (as in visit and place probes there, not discover and complete hexagon tasks to improve your exploration percentages. But I am sure you could get rather decent exploration percentages in Chapter 4 too. Also as a side note, a lot of the collectapedia is doable in Chapter 4. I have 100% on Primordia now and I am slowly doing the other continents. I'm doing this all in Chapter 4 just to see how much of the game is doable in this chapter.

I will tell you one issue I have in this game.
Some quests you do require you to kill something in a specific area. Getting to that area requires you to kill or avoid high level enemies but the quest kills are like 20+ levels lower than this. Like wtf seriously? A good example is the get hope affinity quest. That makes you travel far into Cauldros. At a level lower than 30 there is almost nothing you can kills there (the only exception is the sylvalum/Cauldros border area). So you are running past so many level 50+ creatures and skells. But the quest kills are a low level. I can't remember exacly but they are lower than level 15. Easy kills. The hard part is getting to the quest kills, not the quest kills themselves.

This happens somewhat in XCX. I'm not sure if this is a design flaw or intended by the developers. But it is a really strange way to do the quests. I do like it though as it means we do have a few quests in the higher level areas that can be done earlier on in the game. I have an issue with it. The issue is not that I hate it, I don't. I like it. My issue is the fact I do not understand why this idea is in the game. To have low level quest objectives in high level areas.

Ronin

Forum Volunteer
Okay, I'm severely stumped... Can anyone with a Skell tell me a good way to get materials for making weapons/armor? Because for one there are way too many rare materials, and secondly I have no idea where to find said materials. Yes, I know that I could use the squad tickets or whatever in the division terminal, but the tickets just aren't enough to get each material (36 all-purpose plugs; do I have to fight an enemy that many times?). Balancing expendable resources such as Miranium and squad tickets can be a chore because it seemingly takes an hour for them to fill back up. And having to collect all these materials is like Colony 6 all over again, haha.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles

I'm going to have to disagree with this. I have found that enemies that either emerge from the earth right under your feet or come down from the ceiling/trees is quite common. I experienced it three times during my last play session alone. There was a passage near Ciel Lake in Sylvalum where Level 56 enemies spawn right in front of you, and are hearing/sight enemies. Then there was a crab right in front of an FN sight nearby. Finally, there were some enemy Skells in a wide open area near that as well. All of them higher level than me or my party. In one of the ensuing battles, Lin lost her Skell.

I'm not sure if this is intended to be "fun", but it isn't. I've read in other message boards people say that this is to "punish the player" for biting off more than they can chew, and if that's the case, it's absolutely stupid. I don't play games to be punished; I play to have fun. There is nothing fun about having an enemy 10 levels higher than me spawn in front of me without warning and without chance to escape. It is a design flaw, whether purposeful or not.

I actually had a question regarding one of the Normal Missions. The one called "Marry Me". I've looked for it on the Mission Control board, and it has never appeared for me. I know it is necessary to recruit one of the optional party members (I won't say who, in case of spoilers), but I simply can't find that mission.

Am I looking in the wrong place? Is there a prerequisite in order to have that mission appear in Mission Control? What am I doing wrong, I wonder? Or am I just getting unlucky with the random appearance of missions on there?

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles

For example, this part: Xenoblade X (Wii U) Screen Shot 1:9:16, 1.15 PM.png

These enemies are going to drop down on me. I can see them, but I can't target them.

Further ahead:

Xenoblade X (Wii U) Screen Shot 1:9:16, 1.21 PM.png

As you can see, there is nothing on the ceiling here. But, the enemies will drop from the ceiling, regardless, as soon as I get close to that treasure.

I know this, because I tried it before, when I was lower level. The enemies spawned right there, killed one of my party members, and, as I ran, I woke up the other enemies that I showed in the other screen shot. They chased me almost to the entrance of the cave.

This sort of thing happens all of the time. And it isn't fun.

Triforce King

Pathfinder for life
I actually had a question regarding one of the Normal Missions. The one called "Marry Me". I've looked for it on the Mission Control board, and it has never appeared for me. I know it is necessary to recruit one of the optional party members (I won't say who, in case of spoilers), but I simply can't find that mission.​

Am I looking in the wrong place? Is there a prerequisite in order to have that mission appear in Mission Control? What am I doing wrong, I wonder? Or am I just getting unlucky with the random appearance of missions on there?
Let's see, you have to be level 21 and complete chapter 3, and it's not a Normal Mission, it's a Basic Mission. All you have to do is just get on and off the BLADE Console until it reappears.

Ronin

Forum Volunteer
I'm going to have to disagree with this. I have found that enemies that either emerge from the earth right under your feet or come down from the ceiling/trees is quite common. I experienced it three times during my last play session alone. There was a passage near Ciel Lake in Sylvalum where Level 56 enemies spawn right in front of you, and are hearing/sight enemies. Then there was a crab right in front of an FN sight nearby. Finally, there were some enemy Skells in a wide open area near that as well. All of them higher level than me or my party. In one of the ensuing battles, Lin lost her Skell.

I'm not sure if this is intended to be "fun", but it isn't. I've read in other message boards people say that this is to "punish the player" for biting off more than they can chew, and if that's the case, it's absolutely stupid. I don't play games to be punished; I play to have fun. There is nothing fun about having an enemy 10 levels higher than me spawn in front of me without warning and without chance to escape. It is a design flaw, whether purposeful or not.

I actually had a question regarding one of the Normal Missions. The one called "Marry Me". I've looked for it on the Mission Control board, and it has never appeared for me. I know it is necessary to recruit one of the optional party members (I won't say who, in case of spoilers), but I simply can't find that mission.

Clear out a ton of missions until Marry Me appears. It helped me to select Gathering missions from the MC which I'd finished collecting for; slow but worth it. Hope is possibly my favorite optional character after Celica.

Ronin

Forum Volunteer
So guys, apparently Hiroyuki Sawano is a Sonic the Hedgehog fan.

1:45

0:38

I knew those lyrics sounded familiar.

Last edited:

Ronin

Forum Volunteer
It could just be a coincidence.
I doubt that, Sawano seems to have a penchant for incorporating cheesy pop-like lyrics into his songs. "How long must I wait for you?" is a strange inquiry to have in the Noctilum day theme, yet quite fitting.

Plus the "hey hey hey" chanting is used in the background of both songs, among other similarities. I'm almost certain their both parodying another song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom