• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xenoblade Chronicles Mafia: Destructive Reawakening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good job town! And pkmellowkirby! I'm quite surprised by the out come of this. I told you guys SMS was town. Glad we didn't lynch him the first day. Good job SMS. You really helped turn things around for town. I also thought musicfan played a good game as well.

I'll be honest, mafia did a good job of hiding for so long.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Good game. I liked a lot of it but had a few frustrations where I felt like the barrier for Mafia to win was nearly impossible.
I have felt this twice now as SK, but to be fair that role is made that way. I'd also like to apologize for admitting my kill last night was to spite you, and I didn't mean for that post to come out offensive or rude in any way. I was just so ticked that I was going to come so close with this role yet again

Cody

ZD Pokemon Champion
Actually, I might as well post now while I'm here.

The main issue I had with the game is that at least 3-4 times the GM leaked fatally compromising information about the Mafia in one form or another. All three of us Mafia hid pretty well in my opinion but then for example Eoghan died because a death scene described all his actions and basically called him out as Mafia.

Then after JC-Hurin bussed him, a death scene talked about how another member of the Mafia had bussed Eoghan, which narrowed the suspect list way down.

Then we killed musicfan instead of Linkdude74 assuming that SMS would verify Linkdude as the killer and that we could lynch him, but then two GM-related things happened. First, SMS got verification of Linkdude being roleblocked but then apparently got a bit of extra information on the side about how it wasn't important to that night, which made him suspicious of us and refrain from targeting Linkdude. There was also a last minute player substitution which had the result of making a majority lynch basically impossible.

Just something to consider for next time. Overall I did actually like the death posts but I feel the Mafia team was decimated by information leaks from it.

Cody

ZD Pokemon Champion
I have felt this twice now as SK, but to be fair that role is made that way. I'd also like to apologize for admitting my kill last night was to spite you, and I didn't mean for that post to come out offensive or rude in any way. I was just so ticked that I was going to come so close with this role yet again
That's alright, I think you played well, it was a good job getting to the end at all. Serial killer is definitely a tough one to win with - in some versions of Mafia the SK and Godfather are given bulletproof abilities to give them a chance. If Mafia and SK don't win very often here it's worth considering - ideally Mafia win rate should be around 50%.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The game got really intense after I got replaced. Throughout the last week, I kept wishing I could say something, but I couldn't. :P

gj town, deserved the win! And congrats to SMS and Blackkirby for being the winners!

Thanks for modding this game, Thar.

I was suspicious of Cody and, to a lesser extent, JC after my abrupt lynch, but I have to admit I was surprised to see they were both mafia. It's true that you were at a numbers and night scene disadvantage, Cody, but you were given strong scum roles to compensate. For a new mafia player, Spiritual Mask Salesman used the knowledge he gained wisely to discover your identity.

It's a shame I had to die so stupidly. Try not to rush with lynches next time, music. And sorry for foiling your plans, Libk. :P

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
We knew Libk was SK ages ago and could have killed him like three nights ago, but we kept him alive to try and manipulate his kills. I wanted him to kill SMS but one of his kills failed and the other time he targeted me, which I expected since he knew that I knew he was the SK.

The frustrating thing was that we thought we played the perfect game plan but the night scene really screwed Eoghan over big time and we were left with two of us as well as two confirmed Townies which put us at a severe disadvantage. I know the night scenes were meant to be like this, but something tells me we might have won otherwise. It was kind of annoying as well that we had basically everyone's role figured out, but we couldn't jump straight in because, at two, we had to rely on survival and someone else killing the Townies for us otherwise we would have killed Libk ages ago. I thought Cody somehow turned it around yesterday, which would have been amazing play btw, but I had a feeling Libk would take him out.

Doesn't matter though, I was just happy to play and be Mafia again. I've only been Mafia twice and I ****ed up last time, but this time I was a lot more careful and tactile and it's nice lying to everyone ;p. Honestly this whole game was, tactically, one of the the best I've played in. From learning the playstyles of my two team mates and trying to figure out the likes of Rosa and Diego. Even some of the new players like SMS (you played good btw). It was really intense an every post felt like I had to think it through.

Great game.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Yeah I had a hunch that Cody was the Godfather back on Day 3. I was assuming the SK thing might have been something JC set up to create paranioa and confusion but after thinking about it I realized that odds are there was a SK in the game. Cody tried getting me to Lynch Linkdude with him but I knew if he was the SK the Mafia would win by default which is why I wanted a no lynch scenario. I never actually intended on lynching myself that was actually a trap I set out to confirm my theory of Cody being the Godfather. I threw the option of lynching myself out for him to be like, “ok”. I knew we wouldn't get the votes so I drew back and was like, “Cody why don't you sacrifice yourself instead?” when he tried slipping out of the spot I knew the Town wasn't were his alligance was. I guess this was beginners luck, I honestly thought I was screwed back on Day 1 when I was almost lynched.

This was a really fun game, I enjoyed it, I think I'll start playing Mafia more often.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Then we killed musicfan instead of Linkdude74 assuming that SMS would verify Linkdude as the killer and that we could lynch him, but then two GM-related things happened. First, SMS got verification of Linkdude being roleblocked but then apparently got a bit of extra information on the side about how it wasn't important to that night, which made him suspicious of us and refrain from targeting Linkdude.
I already knew about the roleblock actually because ALiT spilled the beans about it before Thar posted his death scene. I did find out that it wasn't relevant through Thar but that was my role, I was able to choose any post and get the complete low-down on it, whether it was legitimate, or not.

Anyway gosh Cody you almost did get me to believe you during the last Day phase but deep down I felt like you weren't actually a Townie. I was suprised you took the bait for my “I'll sacrifice myself!” thing which I eventually turned onto you to find out if you had the Town's best interest in mind. I knew Blackkirby was probably the last Cultist and I was thinking about a last minute lynch on him but I was like, “Just in case he is the Godfather I'll let him get by till the Night”. Anyway Kudos to you because I admit at points I almost bought into your rouse. Idk how I held my own and wasn't manipulated by you or JC. By far JC and Cidy played very well - honestly I had no Mafia vibes from JC, I figured he couldn't be Mafia because he tried lynching Eoghan twice with me.

So good game to everyone. Thar I enjoyed reading your scenes.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Just something to consider for next time. Overall I did actually like the death posts but I feel the Mafia team was decimated by information leaks from it.
Thanks for the honest input. In retrospect, I agree that your team definitely suffered from damage from the death scenes, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it "information leaks". For the most part, the Night scenes were implications rather than overt revelations, at least as far as I can remember. For instance, on the Day that Eoghan died, Lorithia was seen witnessing his passing.

Another thing, I told SMS this:
Yes, he targeted Linkdude74, although it wasn't a prominent action in the Night scene.
Meaning that Alit's action wasn't specifically highlighted in the Night 3 death scene. The Lie Detector is a powerful role in its own right, and I decided to include it purely for the lack of equally powerful roles on the Town's side, apart from the Dreaming God. The Mafia was made into a pretty tough competition, too, so I had to balance the game out. Hope that clears things up.

Rest assured, not all Mafia games at ZD are set up like this. As with Eoghan, I'd love to play with you in a future game, or maybe cross over to ZU's Mafia board.

I had fun and it was interesting seeing how you guys run a game compared to what I'm used to on ZU.

I'm going to have to disagree that the death posts weren't information leaks, because they were. Your death scenes are very much different than what I'm used to. I've always found the point of a death scene to be well written, but should give away little to no GM information. The killer(s) should be vague. It shouldn't be clear whether a serial killer did the kill, or a vigilante, or a mafia member, etc. Your death scenes were basically some sort of battle and each one contributed to revealing information about the characters present in the game and actions they may have taken. That's the sort of information that should be saved for revealing via a role, i.e. a role cop, a tracker, etc. If this is typical on ZD, I think it might explain why the majority of the time the mafia wins games and not the town. It gives information to the town which further strengthens them.

This didn't affect me much because 1: I don't know Xenoblade and 2: I died before it became crucial. In the future though, I think there are ways to make night scenes vague enough to not reveal info while still being entertaining to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom