• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I cannot believe that this happened, and it is definitely my favorite surprise from the Switch Event.
xenoblade-wallpaperjpg-544c57_1280w.jpg

xenoblade-2-screencap_1280.0.0-450x300.png

And it is absolutely beautiful. Xenoblade Chronicles, is going to get a true sequel, in the vein of the original. Xenoblade Chronicles X did some interesting things, and there is absolutely going to be a sequel to that game as well, but it is so nice that we will be getting an existential, linear JRPG.

I absolutely cannot wait, and the use of Elysium really makes we wonder what the story is. Eluysium is well, the afterlife. Which is really puzzling considering the end of Xenoblade Chronicles. But man, I cannot wait for this game.

Also, shoutouts to my boys at ACE who are composing. And Mitsuda is also composing his first Xeno game since Xenogears(he also did Chrono Trigger). Xenoblade 2 looks absolutely what I want. And the music sounds incredible.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Would like to see the cast from Chronicles return. There's so much a direct sequel to Chronicles can follow up on.

But I'd wager this is just another random jrpg iteration using the Xenoblade name like X was (because apparently all the other 'xeno' types are no longer relevant). New story, new characters with the same basic gameplay. Assuming of course we don't know this already.

Melia is love. Melia is life <3

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Xenoblade Chronicles is my 2nd favorite game of all time (behind Ocarina of Time). Thus, this is quite easily the best thing that happened to me during the presentation, since we already knew about Breath of the Wild. Xenoblade Chronicles was, in my opinion, a better way in every single quantifiable aspect than Xenoblade X except for graphical fidelity, obviously. However, in story, music, characters, character development, combat, enemy design, feeling of progression, and exploration, XC blew X out of the water.

I'm incredibly hyped for this game. This and Splatoon 2 are the two main reasons I'm getting a Switch.

Xenoblade Chronicles was, in my opinion, a better way in every single quantifiable aspect than Xenoblade X except for graphical fidelity, obviously. However, in story, music, characters, character development, combat, enemy design, feeling of progression, and exploration, XC blew X out of the water.
Quantifiable things are not opinions, they are facts. You like XC better. That's cool, I respect your opinion. We each have our favourites. One game is not better than the other though. Each game does different things better and each have their fans.

I liked XCX better by a huge margin. For many reasons. But am I hyped for XC? Totally. I will so get XC2 for the switch. I'm on the hype train too.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
One game is not better than the other though. Each game does different things better and each have their fans.

Opinion are opinions, and all that, I get it, but more people thought Xenoblade was better than X by a large margin.

It's like ... more people liked Ocarina of Time than Skyward Sword, across the board. You can never actually break it down to actually put a number behind things like this. However, it's safe to say Ocarina of Time is a better game in every way than Skyward Sword, opinions notwithstanding.

Zachie

Moo

Here's the trailer, btw. I'm sooooo excited for this game! I lost my **** when they showed the trailer! :D

Opinion are opinions, and all that, I get it, but more people thought Xenoblade was better than X by a large margin.

It's like ... more people liked Ocarina of Time than Skyward Sword, across the board. You can never actually break it down to actually put a number behind things like this. However, it's safe to say Ocarina of Time is a better game in every way than Skyward Sword, opinions notwithstanding.
Just because more people like a game does not make it better. But we can say OOT was more popular by a huge margin. XC was more popular than XCX. But by as huge a margin. But still it's there.

I am not disagreeing with you. I agree with you. I am just saying comparing two pieces of art. Either can be considered better depending on what specifics they are judged on.

Back on topic. I think XC2 will be an amazing game. Even the fans of XCX will like it. Totally a must have on the Switch. This is a good thing. The Switch needs more must have games like this.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
@the8thark

Coincidentally, I'm playing X right now, and I was thinking of what I would ideally like Xenoblade 2 to be. I do enjoy quite a few aspects of X, so I do hope they incorporate some of that into Xenoblade 2, but as far as the way they tell the story and how the game progresses, I really hope they take nothing from X. As I said in the X thread, I'm replaying the game with a more open mind, however that doesn't change that it's frustrating at points.

For example, one thing I really wish they would address is the direction the enemy is facing. Some enemies do charge attacks, and even if they charge in the complete opposite direction where you are standing, if the enemy is "targeting" you, then you take damage. It's absolutely immersion-breaking and counter-intuitive, especially since your attacks can be based on your position relative to the enemy. What I'm getting at is that it doesn't make sense for the game to recognize that you're doing a back attack to the enemy, but the game doesn't recognize that the enemy isn't facing you when it attacks.

Also, having ranged attacks follow you literally for dozens of yards if you're fleeing from battle is really annoying. Ranged attacks not only have absurd range but they're homing, which makes running from battle pointless early in the game; you're going to die regardless.

I'd also prefer a combat system without auto attacks. I like the combat system overall, but with some tweaks I think it would be more engaging.

@CrimsonCavalier

I found XC frustrating at points. The linear aspect of it. How the main character is stuck with the monado all game. Not as many combat options for the main chatacter as in XCX. I really hope some of the good XCX features are incorporated into XC2.

One thing I hated in XC was the timed quests. I really hope they never come back in XC2. But if there's story in XC2, like how the refugee camp moved ot the bigger city in XC, timed quests might come back. I just hope the story of XC2 is done in such a way that timed quests are not there at all.
About the combat issue you mentioned. That's because you don't hit the enemy to damage them. You attack within melee range to attack them. Sure I do agree things like charge and back attacks ened to be fixed up. I am fine with auto attacks but there needs to be a big attack you can use. Before you get the Monado in XC the main character has that attack he can use. It gets replaced with the swap to monado abilities later on. An attack like that really needs to be in the game for the whole game.

XC2 needs to be way more open than XC was. XC was disgustingly linear.

The ranged attacks need to have a chance to miss you. I agree with you in saying early on you can't flee, you have to kill them. An issue that needs to be fixed.

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
Yo, bro, Yasunori Mitsuda has composed for more than just Xenogears -- he composed the entire Xenosaga Episode 1 soundtrack and the credits song for Xenoblade Chronicles. Give the man some credit. :P

Anyway, I want to be excited about a sequel to one of the better JRPGs of the last generation but I can't help but to feel nervous about it. I think the original ended just fine the way it did -- the plot tied up all of the loose ends. Meanwhile, Xenoblade Chronicles X ended with too many unanswered questions and a sequel hook and I want answers.

I'm cautiously optimistic at best.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
One thing I hated in XC was the timed quests. I really hope they never come back in XC2. But if there's story in XC2, like how the refugee camp moved ot the bigger city in XC, timed quests might come back. I just hope the story of XC2 is done in such a way that timed quests are not there at all.

I never really minded the timed quests. I guess it's because I tend to try to do all of the side quests anyways, so I always ended up doing them. I do know I missed some simply from lack of exploration, but as far as "not having enough time" that was never an issue, because technically they're not really timed. They're just based on where you are in the plot. I get that some people don't want to do side quests, and just want to play the main story, so I totally agree that side quests shouldn't be based on the main story's progression. Similarly, progression in the main quest shouldn't be based on side quests, like they are in X.

About the combat issue you mentioned. That's because you don't hit the enemy to damage them. You attack within melee range to attack them. Sure I do agree things like charge and back attacks ened to be fixed up.

Yeah, I don't like that you're in "melee range" even though you aren't in melee range at all. But I get that from a gameplay perspective; it's hard to animate that, and it would be really frustrating to have to get literally within touching distance to enemies to hit them. But in the end, it makes melee v. range irrelevant because enemies can hit you with melee attacks even if you're in ranged attack distance. There's literally no point in switching between melee and ranged attacks except if you're doing an Art.

The same goes for Xenoblade. Both games had this issue.

I think it would be better to make it so you have to get close to enemies. That way they could do some sort of balancing act: melee attacks do a lot more damage, but you're opening yourself to be melee attacked by the enemy, which also does more damage. Ranged attacks are weaker, but you're safe. Something like that would add a lot more strategy to the combat.

I am fine with auto attacks but there needs to be a big attack you can use. Before you get the Monado in XC the main character has that attack he can use. It gets replaced with the swap to monado abilities later on. An attack like that really needs to be in the game for the whole game.

One of the Monado Arts is a huge attack, so it essentially replaces the pre-Monado one and adds a bunch of other really useful Arts.

XC2 needs to be way more open than XC was. XC was disgustingly linear.

The reason the game never really felt linear to me was that I always do side quests. Kind of like I talked about above, I tend to try to complete all side quests before I move on with the main quest. Thus, for me, the game never really felt linear. I always felt like I was traveling back and forth, and it felt good to see my side quests actually change how the game looked. I liked that side quests opened up possibilities with different NPCs depending on how I completed them (which options I took). I would usually finish a main quest mission and then just go everywhere to see what had opened up to me.

Again, I get that not everyone plays that way, so I totally understand that if people only wanted to do the main quest, the game definitely was linear. I would definitely like a more open-ended questline, but only insofar as they don't force side quests on us. I still hate that you have to do Affinity Missions in X, yet the characters that you do Affinity Missions with are literally superfluous and useless. Don't force me to play with a character to progress the main story and then not let me use that character for the main story.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Would like to see the cast from Chronicles return. There's so much a direct sequel to Chronicles can follow up on.

But I'd wager this is just another random jrpg iteration using the Xenoblade name like X was (because apparently all the other 'xeno' types are no longer relevant). New story, new characters with the same basic gameplay. Assuming of course we don't know this already.

Melia is love. Melia is life <3
This looks to be a sequel in at the very least the same universe as XBC.

I'm really excited for this game. I cannot wait. I hate the blank slate the mc is in XCX so I'm glad this doesn't look like that.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
This looks to be a sequel in at the very least the same universe as XBC.

I probably missed some relatively minor detail but what indication do we have to suspect this?

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I probably missed some relatively minor detail but what indication do we have to suspect this?
The fact that it's called Xenoblade Chronicles 2 instead of something else would imply it's a sequel. Or perhaps it is just more like XBC than XCX was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom