• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xenforo 2 Upgrade Suggestions & Feedback

Do you mean signatures beneath people's posts? If so, that option is still there in Preferences > Content Options.
On the old forums we could choose which users we removed seeing the signatures from. It was not an all or nothing option. The way the old forum did it was great. Sure an all or nothing option (which I already knew about) was good but it's far from ideal. I think most of us just want to hide from fiew the few offending signatures. By offending I don't mean bad content, I just mean overly large ones that really block the flow of the forums.

Here's some more feedback about the new forums.

The new forums do lack quite a number of features of the old forums, but there is one good new feature the old forums did not have. That being to directly link images into posts. As in without having to host them elsewhere and just share the links in img tags. It's actually quite well done now. You can upload the images then choose where in the posts you want them added. Full size or thumbnail. I've never used the thumbnail option but I am sure that would have a use when you need to share the fact that somethnig exists but not any detail about it. A good option to have.

So I guess I am saying that this is a good feature. One I have used and it works well.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Could we make that lightning bolt symbol on mobile link directly to New Posts instead of to the What's New section? There's no easy way to get back to that new posts section on mobile when you're viewing a thread or not on the index.

Also, maybe consider making LL posts not show up in the recent replies list. Users who want to keep up with that section can either watch or check manually and the New Posts section isn't flooded with spammy posts for mods to sift through. I would also suggest doing the same for Forum Games threads as they sometimes tend to clog up that section.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
First time I’ve been on since the change. So far so not good but maybe it’s just my eyes trying to adjust to the themes etc. I feel like the shoutbox is too fat but to be honest I’ve only been on the mobile site so we will see. To be honest I don’t really have any other feedback. Thanks to the Modmins who have made it not totally crazy

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Firstly, I have figured out how to increase the character limit on profile posts. It has been changed to 10000 characters.

Open link in new tab when clicking from SB rather than same window. (Sure I can middle click, but old habits and all!)

This is not an option in the add-on currently. I've asked the owner if they plan on adding it.

Additionally, is the old timestamp system a viable option? I'm not a fan of the vague one (a minute ago) that's the default, and the fact that it goes away to show a Like button (a Like button in a fast-moving web chat client? what?) when you hover over it is a bit annoying.

Unfortunately this is just the way this add-on has been built. They haven't included the option to switch this. The like button isn't the only thing that is shown when you hover over it though. Other important stuff like reporting, linking, editing, deleting, etc are included there.

On the old forum you could mouse hover over the alerts to see them. Now you have to click the alert icon to open a new window to see your alerts. A decent quality of life feature not in the new forums. A feature many people (myself inclided used a lot).

Apparently they removed the hover option on purpose in Xenforo 2. You can read about the decision here. I'm also annoyed at this, and it seems many others are in that thread (and the two linked threads at the end of that thread) but it seems so far nobody has come up with a solution for it.

I think the only feature I've seen lost that hasn't been brought up is the old feature we had that let you hide user's signatures if you don't want to view them. If it's already been brought up, my apologies, but I figured I'd point it out.
Is the forum signature hide option returning?
I am sure a lot of people would really appreciate having this feature again.

I can't find anything that has been developed to do this with Xenforo 2 yet. I'm keeping an eye out. In the meantime we may have to set a limit on the size of signatures again like we did in the past. I'll discuss this with the other staff over the next week or so.

This may just be more of a preference thing on my part, but I'm finding it difficult to keep track of things since the upgrade from a layout point of view. Everything seems a bit more floaty now where previously things felt tight and compact. I'm finding myself avoiding the SB because the larger fonts and large gaps between lines make me feel like I'm out of the loop if I turn away for 30 seconds, and conversations don't seem to remain as focused for as long because it's easy to get lost when there's more than a couple of conversation threads going on.

Again, this may just be me, and I've only tried on mobile so far. I just feel like the new layout options are restrictive in terms of how much info can be on the screen at once and I'm having to do a lot of scrolling to keep up.

I realise this is a very broad thing to bring up, just thought I would anyway.
On mobile everything seems bigger and that means I can see less content onscreen. Is there a way to when viewing the thread and forum lists to make it more like the older size?

The overall design has changed pretty extensively between Xenforo 1 and 2 and they were apparently trying to make it more mobile friendly. I personally like the way the forums and shoutbox look on mobile generally now and can't say I've had too much an issue in this regard. Nonetheless I appreciate the feedback, but at the moment this is unfortunately something people are just going to have to get used to for the most part. I'll try and look with @Satan when we have time and see what changes we can make to templates to emulate a more compact look but that could take quite some time, especially given that the current setup in terms of design is more complex than before.

Another issue I've found is not being able to remove the bullet points from your post without doing so manually by moving the [/list] in the bb code.

Say you have the following
  1. Test 1
  2. Test 2
  3. Test 3
Say you want to remove the bullet from point 3 as you made that by mistake. In the old forum you could highlight that and click the bullet button again and all done. Test 3 has no bullet. On the new forums there is no way to do this without going into the BB code.

Also as an aside, it's not as simple anymore just to highlight text and press the bullet button like on the old forum. These forums look for typing strusture. As in it differentiates between returns and shift + returns and puts the bullet at the last point you pressed return without shift. Much more complicated that on the old forums.

Also removing links from text in a post is handled differently on these forums. on the old forum you could just click on the link button again and if highlighted, the link would be removed. On the new forums you have to clink on the link while editing the post and then remove the link.

I've not been able to emulate the same issue exactly. For me I highlighted the third point and then clicked delete/backspace and it removed the text but not the bullet point. But then clicking delete/backspace a second time removed the point without the need to go into the BB code.

The second point seems like an odd thing for the Xenforo developers to have done but I don't think it is a major issue since it is pretty easy to get used to not using shift + returns when making lists. Third point too is a little annoying but I don't see it as a major issue either since there is only so often one is removing a link and it isn't really that much more tedious to change it with the new design they've put in.

Is it possible to get the SB to default on the "Shoutbox" room rather than the other one?

I've removed the other room so it should default as Shoutbox anyway now.

The birthday widget being so low on the sidebar makes it incredibly easy to overlook

I've now moved this up again to where (I think) it was before the upgrade.

Can we get a cooldown on scrapper sayings please, it doesn't need to be spammed as much as it is.

I've added a 2 min cooldown. That is, he won't give the same response within 2 mins. (the option is only available to configure it per response, but I think that's enough)

Could we make that lightning bolt symbol on mobile link directly to New Posts instead of to the What's New section? There's no easy way to get back to that new posts section on mobile when you're viewing a thread or not on the index.

Also, maybe consider making LL posts not show up in the recent replies list. Users who want to keep up with that section can either watch or check manually and the New Posts section isn't flooded with spammy posts for mods to sift through. I would also suggest doing the same for Forum Games threads as they sometimes tend to clog up that section.

At the moment on mobile you can click the three bars at the top left and then click New posts from pretty much anywhere. I do think that the lightning button would be better used to link to the new posts section though and that shouldn't be too difficult so I'll add it to the to do list.

I've made LL posts not show up in latest posts. As for forum games, since they have always shown up in the new posts I haven't made that change yet but might be willing to if it seems more people want that.

Can we get a post Counter for those of us trying to keep above 30 each month please?

I paid for an addon for this myself and have added it to the forum but later realised it doesn't include the option to exclude posts from specific forums (so forum games, mafia, etc are all included in the number). Therefore I have put this in the sidebar of the staff only section as I am concerned that making this public would just confuse people into thinking they had made enough posts. I've asked the creator for the possibility of this feature but haven't heard back. At the moment the easiest way for you to check this is use the search function, pick advanced search, put in your username, set it to from the first day of the month, and select only the forums where posts are counted. This will show you a list which you can count (and this is how we are confirming it as staff too).

When it comes to editing the code (and by extension the functionality) of specific add-ons in many cases there are potential legal issues due to the licenses that are attached to them. Therefore I am reaching out to the owners directly regarding missing features at this stage.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Anything that can be done about the pinned threads, they are difficult to differentiate between them and normal threads, is there a line that can be put in or different colours for the pins that make them stand out?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Anything that can be done about the pinned threads, they are difficult to differentiate between them and normal threads, is there a line that can be put in or different colours for the pins that make them stand out?
Please let us know the theme you are talking about so we can look into this.

Reactions: Dio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom