• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xbox One No Longer Requires Kinect in Order to Be Used

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Tip came from Matt woot woot
Anyway check it: http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-wont-actually-need-kinect-plugged-in-microso-1113142909

Mark Whitten said:
That said, like online, the console will still function if Kinect isn’t plugged in, although you won’t be able to use any feature or experience that explicitly uses the sensor.

It seems Microsoft is quickly doing a 180 with its policies. I'm still not savvy with that $499 price tag nor do I enjoy paying to play my game the right way, but I think teh Xbox One has become like the 360: if you have it, make due with what you got. ^^

How do you feel?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I forsee an announcement of a Kinect-less XBOX ONE in the near future due to this. It looks like Mattrick leaving was the best thing that could have happened to Microsoft. If they keep up this pace and give me more reasons than Halo to play on their consoles, I just might actually like them this gen.

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
Well its a good move, for once. But I still think since its not required anymore,why include it? I personally dont want the kinect, and I could save $100 if they were to take it out of the bundle.

I forsee an announcement of a Kinect-less XBOX ONE in the near future due to this. It looks like Mattrick leaving was the best thing that could have happened to Microsoft. If they keep up this pace and give me more reasons than Halo to play on their consoles, I just might actually like them this gen.

It's possible, but I don't see it happening. If you'll recall, one of the main reasons they decided to include a Kinect with every system is so developers could be sure people had one if they wanted to implement it in some way.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
tumblr_lrvwjhbZ301r2fznqo1_250.gif

I also can't wait for MattrickVille to come out.

Looks like I'm getting an Xbone now. Although I still don't like that they even tried to do some of the things they did, most of my friends are getting one, and I can't convince them to get a PS4. Oh well.

Salem

SICK
Wait a minute if the Xbox one it doing 2 180s with policies, does that mean it did a 360 now?......

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Wait a minute if the Xbox one it doing 2 180s with policies, does that mean it did a 360 now?......

:right:

Well it could always go up to 720; there are a lot of policies and changes they can do from now til Holiday season!

I don't get why they even decided to make ridiculously, horrendous policies to start with. They lost so many Microsoft fans/players due to them and made newcomers turn their heard to the Playstation 4. Now they're making it up by reversing everything one by one? Some management and PR they have. One second they say one thing, then over the course of a year they start changing everything they stated before. I mean, good for the players, but I wouldn't trust a company that keeps changing what they say and keep some things in the dark.

And I agree with Ventus, they $499 is TOO steep, and the fact that you have to pay for subscription? No thank you. I already pay for my ISP, don't need to pay just to play my games. Steam, the PS4, and Nintendo don't require you to pay for connection, why does one of the richest and most powerful corporation in the world that gets money in so many other ways need to give a subscription fee? Eh, whatever. Playstation tends to send out more creative IPs anyway.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I don't get why they even decided to make ridiculously, horrendous policies to start with.
Well Steam does all of those policies and it's faring well, why shouldn't Microsoft do the same?
Steam, the PS4, and Nintendo don't require you to pay for connection, why does one of the richest and most powerful corporation in the world that gets money in so many other ways need to give a subscription fee? Eh, whatever. Playstation tends to send out more creative IPs anyway.
Correction: PS4 requires a subscription fee to play games online (if this was changed, I do not know.)

Anyway, Microsoft needs the subscription fee because they're playing the corporate game! Gotta make more money than they spend after all. And Bill Gates of course wants to hit #1 richest and stay there.

Well Steam does all of those policies and it's faring well, why shouldn't Microsoft do the same?

True. Steam isn't perfect. It still has a form of DRM on it. You still need internet access to play most games, but there are still a good handful where you can play offline. Obviously you cannot sell off your games on the PC, you never could as far as I can remember since you link the CD key to your account, whether its Steam, Origin, or Windows Live. Plus, games on the PC are usually always cheaper, and Steam ALWAYS has sales going on, especially during the Summer and Winter. You can also buy a whole collection of games just under $100, even newly released triple A titles. As far as I know, Sony nor Microsoft do these crazy deals. They might, but I don't see them doing it anytime soon.

Also, Steam has been the first major corporation to widely accept Indie developers and support their cause, while Microsoft was a dirtbag about it. Sony did support Indie developers to some extent as far as I recall, but not on the level of Steam. Just for this, they have received a TON of respect from both developers and the consumers. Now Microsoft has added a policy to support Indie developers, but in my books it's a little to late. They shouldn't have left the underdogs hanging for so long to begin with.

In the end, Steam has been in the game for a really long time. It's among the first major gaming distributors on the Internet, so naturally they have gained a lot of support. They've generally done more good than bad, and support their loyal consumers. There's still some pros and cons that I haven't mentioned, but the pros outweigh the cons, and most of the people I've talked to over the web and in person have generally agreed to this.

(Admittedly I am a bit biased since I used Steam for MANY years, but honestly it has treated me more nicely than Microsoft has when I had an Xbox 360. Never personally owned a Playstation, but many of my friends have it. It's alright in my books.) :P

Correction: PS4 requires a subscription fee to play games online (if this was changed, I do not know.)

Anyway, Microsoft needs the subscription fee because they're playing the corporate game! Gotta make more money than they spend after all. And Bill Gates of course wants to hit #1 richest and stay there.

Oh, I'm sorry! I honestly didn't know that. I even watched E3 and I didn't catch that, how embarrassing :embarrassed:. Yeah, they do have a $50 dollar annual subscription fee. I think that's 10 dollars cheaper than Xbox Live? Not sure, but most gamers are still generally little kids/young teenagers without jobs. Their parents would generally go for what's cheaper in the long run.

Last edited:

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
:right:

Well it could always go up to 720; there are a lot of policies and changes they can do from now til Holiday season!

Could already have gone past that. 180s so far, off the top of my head...

1. Online and used restrictions reversed.
  2. No self-publishing for Indies and fees for patches/extra content reversed.
  3. Xbox One not coming with headset reversed.
  4. Kinect being mandatory reversed.
720! :D

tumblr_md6d9jOveb1qeablwo1_400.gif

Also, apparently they'll be announcing another 'unique' game at Gamescom. From the mouth of Mr Spencer aka The Punisher:

Phil Spencer said:
We're going to have a really short stage presentation with some news talking about some unique exclusive coming to [Xbox One]

I wonder what it is. I hope he's not just talking about Project Spark or a Kinect game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom