• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xbox One Announced!

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
their are games that intrest me that are on the wii U. Lego city, Batman: Arkham City, mario bros u. super smash bros, pikmin 3, Legend of zelda. and much more. true some are on other systems, but my money is limited so i have to choose my system wisely. so their are games on the WII U if you dont like them then that fine you dont have to buy one.

Smash what smash? Zelda what zelda? Lego and batman aren't those are on other consoles already.

I'm not knocking 3rd party games at all, but they are the first in the next gen, their entire library is last gen ports/ virtual console , and Zombie U , New Mario HD, and Rayman.

Until that smash brothers, until that zelda game, and so on are actually released the wii u doesn't have any games.

This video pretty much sums up the situation and why said situation is lose-lose for both consumers and Microsoft.

(Warning: constant explicit language.)

[video=youtube;lKm94T0jfzQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKm94T0jfzQ[/video]

Thought about linking it myself, but was hesitant because of the language usage

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
Smash what smash? Zelda what zelda? Lego and batman aren't those are on other consoles already.

I'm not knocking 3rd party games at all, but they are the first in the next gen, their entire library is last gen ports/ virtual console , and Zombie U , New Mario HD, and Rayman.

Until that smash brothers, until that zelda game, and so on are actually released the wii u doesn't have any games.

Last time I checked this isn't a Wii U thread

They can have their own opinions. Just because they aren't released/announced yet doesn't mean they will never be.

Thought about linking it myself, but was hesitant because of the language usage
Lego city is a Nintendo exclusive. and like i sead b4 i dont have much money so i have to choose my consoles wisely so if their on other consoles..then oh well their on other consoles.

>Implying someone's opinion will change my views

I've seen it already and this guy is just as biased as many other people, to be honest I feel a lot of the hate comes from people biased towards Microsoft as a company and next gen console gaming in general. Of course some things were slightly disappointing (mainly BC) but this console so far seems fine, 15 "new" exclusives already confirmed within its first year... Well that's already one huge improvement on the Wii U, no one can predict how successful this console will be just yet, we have only seen a preview of the console alone. We will get a bigger picture at E3and more importantly when it's released.

This definitely isn't the case. A lot of the backlash is coming from fans of Xbox. Just look at the comments section in Microsoft's Major Nelson blog:
Xbox Live's Major Nelson » Xbox One and Used Games :

Most of the comments are negative and are from longtime Xbox users. Also, Angry Joe is a Xbox fan.

I'm a huge Xbox and Microsoft fan, but that doesn't mean I'm going to defend them with every decision they make. Not playing used games and requiring an internet connection are features nobody wanted. All the hate is well deserved. I'm happy it's getting a lot of negative reaction and hopefully it will convince them to change some things. Though I prefer Xbox 360 over PS3, I will easily get a PS4 instead if they allow used games. Why wouldn't everyone?

Apparently the details of their used game policy is still being talked about internally, so that gives us hope.

Also, if that $900 price tag is true, they are definitely in trouble. It reminds me of Sony's disastrous PS3 launch when they launched it at $600, trying to pass it off as a all-in-one entertainment machine.

ILU

i luv u
Technology? What technology? The Xbox One barely brought anything new to the table. I having trouble finding the "appeal" of this new system.

Kinect has already existed (Xbox 360). Voice commands have already existed (maybe not on consoles, but they have on iOS, Android, and Windows). Multitasking on consoles have already existed (Wii U). The hardware is also nothing new. PC have had better hardware 3 years ago.

The more I learn about this new console, the less impressed I am with it.

I guess you missed the part where I said the technology wasn't new, but that it seemed less clunky and awkward compared to earlier implementations. If you're going to quote me, at least read the rest before asking a question I already gave an answer to. D: Not trying to sound rude or anything, but I was pointing out that I was impressed by how far said technology has come along in consoles and NOT PC's. I do believe I specified that at least once...

I can see how people wouldn't be impressed, but I still am. Having new things brought to the table is always great, but improving tech we already have and making it easier is just as important IMO. :)

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Sorry all the lego games kinda blurred together for me, didn't realize that one was exclusive.

And at Pancake, yes this is a xbox thread, but at the same time i feel other consoles that are in competition are relevant for the conversation.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I was impressed by how far said technology has come along in consoles and NOT PC's.

The problem here, and I don't mean to start a debate, is that PCs have evolved to the point where they're consoles as well as multimedia devices...for a LOT less of the price of a standard console. Yes, they're much less "family inviting" - PCs are typically single player oriented - but the tech in these consoles is both a) nothing new [as you said] and b) nothing impressive considering it's been around for ~4 years if memory serves.

Everything on XONE? Been available for PC bar the exclusives of course. I even recall some slivers of voice recognition back in '10, but I could be recalling things that didn't exist there. Microsoft is just doing the gaming community a huge disservice because they KNOW what they're doing is going to cause people to flip tables and make bad purchases. -.-

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Alright now I wanna know, Are we only having this conversation because it doesn't bring anything to to the table, or would something new be less important than all it's cons. Like, lets say kinect produced holograms while you're gaming now. Would everything else still be too much of a problem or are we just butthurt? :P

I think what's most frightening about the Xbox One announcement is the similarity between said system and the PS4, strictly speaking from a hardware features perspective. It's as though Microsoft employees were watching Sony's February conference with pencil and paper in hand ready to alter the Xbox One's specifications as necessary to compete. Microsoft and Sony are involved in a money war which extends to the software front. They're sprinkling funds for early access to DLC, skins, etc. Sony has the upper hand with Ubisoft and Assassin's Creed; Microsoft has Activision's Call of Duty under its belt.

It may seem non-germane but this is a cultural question as well. Asians are among the most humble, hard-working people in the world. They don't tolerate failure. You have to remember that until recently, most Asians were dirt poor under restricting traditionalist regimes. Now the continent is trying to become the epicenter of the world. Realizing its shortcomings with the PS3 and Vita, Sony realizes it needs to focus on games. Sony as a whole has lost its profitability and the company is more likely to adhere to consumer wishes. While it's seen better days losing it's top tech position to Apple, Microsoft isn't as keen in bending to public will because it doesn't need to. If you're not satisfied with the Xbox One, don't buy it and then Microsoft will listen. The original Xbox's sales were abysmal and Microsoft abandoned it in four years. A similar situation could unfold this forthcoming generation.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
The advantage of consoles is that they are specifically tailored to gaming needs, interests, and markets. When Microsoft combined its computer and techno gimmicks, it lost all competability. People who like hordes of high-quality games Steam style will go PC, and Exclusive/brand focused gamers will go PS4 and or Wii U. The Xbox One has repulsed many consumers by trying to appeal to all. Well, except for those who get sucked in by gimmicks and/or really really want whatever exclusives they roll out at E3, but I somehow doubt that number is high enough to carry this thing.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Technology means jack **** for consoles nowadays. PC will always be ahead of the curve and will always be the only gaming device where specs are actually important to the games being played, not to mention it has modding features, a luxury consoles will likely never have. Consoles need innovation to compete with PC in the current industry, and that's why I heavily stress that the Wii U is set up the most to succeed. It needs software, yes, and it needs it fast, but the GamePad is something PC's don't have, and it allows for unique experiences as a result. PS4 has a small touch pad on the DualShock 4, so that's pretty cool, but it can't do nearly as much as the GamePad can, so it's at a disadvantage in that regard.

Of course, innovation needs to be done RIGHT in order to properly compete with PC, but the GamePad can do just that. It's not forced on us like the Kinect is with the XBOX ONE, so it's merely an addition to Nintendo's repertoire, not some rudimentary feature that we have to put up with. This means that Nintendo can deliver us exclusives that PC could only dream of giving us while third party developers can use it to clean up the HUD by placing things like maps on the touch screen and letting us use the touch screen to conveniently navigate through menus and equip items. It's a win-win situation.

I don't care how much power you're throwing at us, Microsoft, it's still going to pale in comparison to the PC soon enough, and with all the gross limitations the ONE will be placing on consumers, as well as a LACK of innovation in needed areas and FORCED innovation in others, you're going to fail miserably in the 8th generation. The only reason Sony will succeed is because they're loyal to their fanbase and do seem to be innovating to an extent, even if they're still focusing too much on power. That and their sales (along with Nintendo's) will boost because of Microsoft's infinite blunders.

I say all this not as a Nintendo nerd, but from a realistic standpoint. Both Nintendo and Sony will dominate the console market this generation, no doubt, but I'm fairly certain Nintendo will once again come out on top.

Mark my words.

Last edited:

ILU

i luv u
The problem here, and I don't mean to start a debate, is that PCs have evolved to the point where they're consoles as well as multimedia devices...for a LOT less of the price of a standard console. Yes, they're much less "family inviting" - PCs are typically single player oriented - but the tech in these consoles is both a) nothing new [as you said] and b) nothing impressive considering it's been around for ~4 years if memory serves.

Everything on XONE? Been available for PC bar the exclusives of course. I even recall some slivers of voice recognition back in '10, but I could be recalling things that didn't exist there. Microsoft is just doing the gaming community a huge disservice because they KNOW what they're doing is going to cause people to flip tables and make bad purchases. -.-

I completely agree with you on this. But, I was talking to somebody about this IRL today, the problem is also partly due to the consumers. This technology has been out for a while, yes. PC's can already do all this, yes. It'd probably be very doable to create a PC that already does all of what they unveiled (since PCs already can) and then implement the few tiny details they don't already do. AND they could probably do it for a decent price. Or prices.

Problem is, not enough gamers are tech-savvy enough to take that leap. Not enough people would know what type of PC to buy or build for their gaming needs. Why make a console that can do what the PC can do if PCs already exist? Everything is getting more and more dumbed down and user-friendly because consumers aren't that educated about their console's specs. Microsoft could completely skip making the console, but then they'd lose out on the gaming market. It's easier to focus on what has made the biggest impact, and that's the whole social thing.

There are plenty of flaws with ALL of the systems. It'd be great to just skip the console wars and hop right into the realm of console-PC hybrids, but not enough people would buy them. Having the technology and being able to market it is important, and the Dreamcast is a good example of that.

I think what's most frightening about the Xbox One announcement is the similarity between said system and the PS4, strictly speaking from a hardware features perspective. It's as though Microsoft employees were watching Sony's February conference with pencil and paper in hand ready to alter the Xbox One's specifications as necessary to compete. .
Yea i noticed that too. its like Microsoft took the Wii U ( their gonna have a optional tablet device known as smartglass, video chatt, TV. etc ) and the PS4 ( 8 gigs of ram, similar processor, touch pad on the controller) and smashed them together. also the video game recorder wich Sony has, looked rushed and they barly even talked about that, at least sony demonstrated that feature. it seems like they pretty much copied both Sony and Nintendo.

Last edited:
PC gaming is overrated.

Multiplatform games are developed the same for every console they go on. It's the same game on an Xbox, a Playstation, and a PC. Sure, you can make the graphics better and mod the game on PC, but at its core, the game is the same. Aside from PC exclusives, there's not much benefit to be had.

Take BioShock Infinite for example. It runs flawlessly on a 360 made in 2005, but it glitches like **** on a PC built today. Why? Because the game was made for consoles. You can port it to a PC, but it will stay play like its console kin, perhaps worse.

The majority of the gaming market is consoles. Thus, games are developed for consoles. If games were developed for the most advanced tech out there, they couldn't sell on consoles, and that's just bad marketing. Games will continue to be made for consoles as long as they are what most gamers play on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom