• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xbox One Announced!

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Not going to read everyone's probably hate-filled replies but here's a few things confirmed by MS. If this has already been posted, I apologise, but they should be cleared up for anyone who hasn't seen.

----​

- No used game fees, at all.

- You can give games to your friends, which you have on your account. This can only be done once per game copy, with no fee, and the recipient needs to have been on your friend-list for 30 days prior to you giving them the game. Or, "transferring the license."

- When on standby, Kinect does not record or retain any other voices and simply listens for the initiation command, which is 'Xbox On', as people had doubts about that. Commands can be customised e.g. volume of command spoken. Or alternatively, you can turn Kinect off altogether. Xbox One can be fully controlled by the controller.

- Any information sent or uploaded by a first or third-party requires your explicit permission.

- Controller has a 'low-power state'. When just watching movies or TV on the Xbox One, it goes into a mini-standby mode and conserves battery. Good if you've got every intention of turning Kinect off.

- Can play any of your games on any console using the Cloud. 10 family members can simultaneously play the same game on different consoles using the Shared feature. If you go to a friend's house and play your game on his Xbox One, your brother can still play that same game on his own Xbox simultaneously with no limitation. You can lend games to your friends but how this works has yet to be defined.

- Xbox One is not always-online, but requires online authentication every 24 hours. Games that use Xbox's Azure cloud-systems will require an always-online connection (but these will be MMO's, so, duhh). An un-confirmed report, you can tether your phone to your Xbox One to do these authentications should your Internet be down for more than 24 hours.

- A single Xbox Live Gold purchase encompasses both the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One's online.

----​

Just clearing up those things since people still arguing about used games. The one where family members can play the same game simultaneously would have been amazing in the PS2 days, when my brothers would often steal a game and disappear to a friend's house with it for days. :(

E3 will be the thing that sways whether or not Christmas' purchase shall be either an Xbox One, PS4, or Wii U. May the best man, or, giant corporation, win!

Last edited:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Still not a good console assuming all these stats are 100% accurate. A friend of mine is so mad at Xbox One and what PS4 will likely be he's switching to Nintendo for this gen.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I like it. I'm probably going to be getting it if the library's strong. So herp-a-derp, not everyone thinks it's crap. And it is Blockbuster's most pre-ordered console of all time and ASDA's fastest selling pre-order ever, so they kind of **** on that little pearl of wisdom you shared with us all.

But, thank you... Time to ignore this thread once again!

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
So you like a system that gives a middle finger to our men and women in the armed forces?

Hey, Microsoft announced they were looking at ways to disable that 24 hour thing for people in areas with limited Internet connectivity, including the armed forces. And, I don't think there's anything wrong with liking a system that screws the Army; that isn't implying that I want to screw the army like the system does. But, MD topic so lets go back to discussing the thing.

24 hour connectivity is stupid.

The only thing worth getting the system for is the games, but what if my Internet goes down? So many possible situations but OF COURSE M$ is stupid. Really the same way with a lot of PC games; can't play them unless you're connected online.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
What if you work on oil rigs and have stay in the field for 3 weeks at a time, and sleep in a quarters set up for you, that may or may not have internet, well no point in buying the system is there?

Or people who travel around, I guess they shouldn't bother with one either, unless they wanna pay 20 bucks to the hotel for internet access just to play a single player game.

Its not just exclusively the armed forces getting screwed over by the restrictions, there is plenty of realistic situations in the civilian market that can't be expected to have internet every single day.

Why should they even have to for single player games?

Also don't bother taking it on vacation with you in your RV for camping out in the mountains, thats right you're out there you damn well better enjoy nature, because you won't be enjoying your xbox.

Salem

SICK
In related news, Microsoft has confirmed they are experimenting with offering codes for people in Internet-free situations, like soldiers on active duty, to let them play offline.
I think eventually even people in connected areas will try to acquire these codes if they can somehow.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Also don't bother taking it on vacation with you in your RV for camping out in the mountains, thats right you're out there you damn well better enjoy nature, because you won't be enjoying your xbox.

Well this isn't new to the XONE; remember that love 360 S which broke your discs without fail if it moved an inch while disc is in play? Yeah we never took that thing on our RV to Oklahoma. Instead we took the Wii and my DS :)

So in reality, Microsoft isn't doing anything new here. Just making dumb decisions like they always have.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
What if you work on oil rigs and have stay in the field for 3 weeks at a time, and sleep in a quarters set up for you, that may or may not have internet, well no point in buying the system is there?

Or people who travel around, I guess they shouldn't bother with one either, unless they wanna pay 20 bucks to the hotel for internet access just to play a single player game.

Its not just exclusively the armed forces getting screwed over by the restrictions, there is plenty of realistic situations in the civilian market that can't be expected to have internet every single day.

Why should they even have to for single player games?

What if wanted to play a gaming console and didn't have a TV? The consoles must have built in TVs now...

What if I was on my way to Mars and NASA's shuttles didn't have enough power to power a gaming console, the tv and all that jazz? They should make a gaming console that uses no power at all. Runs on a lifelong battery.

What if I wanted to play online from the ocean? The xbox should have super wi-fi so I can steal an Australian's wifi connection while I'm off the African shores fighting pirates IRL, and fighting pirates online...

Oh God, why did I look at this thread again...

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Well, fortunately, I am one of the few people who don't work on oil rigs for 3 weeks of my life at a time. Thank god, eh? So, thank you for your concern but, I'll be happy and enjoy my Xbox One purchase thank you very much, and it'll be sat in the same place every single other console I've ever owned has stayed; under the TV, in my house.

Also, have you ever heard of handhelds?

Salem

SICK
Consoles need a tv and power to play, they don't need internet to play, Microsoft is just introducing an unneeded complication.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Consoles need a tv and power to play, they don't need internet to play, Microsoft is just introducing an unneeded complication.

XONE needs Internet to play ;)
PCs also require many games to be connected to Internet to play games ;)

It IS unneeded inconvenience but it isn't NEW.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
XONE needs Internet to play ;)
PCs also require many games to be connected to Internet to play games ;)

It IS unneeded inconvenience but it isn't NEW.

Yes but those are online games, of course they have to be online by their very core mechanics. Diable 3 and Sim City did have that DRM bs, but everyone hated it.

Franky to those loving the X1 fine, go tell the industry that people are willing to pay for these lack of rights, that you're ok giving them money for them to say NO.

I for one won't support it, buying it as it is now, is merely setting a precedent that this kind of DRM is acceptable, and they'll only push further with it in the future.

=-==================

Experimenting with allowing codes... that just PR talk for saying there is no guarantee of it happening at all.

====================================
Oh how merciful of them to allow us to transfer a game's ownership of a physical copy once per copy ever. Only if that person was on your friends list for 30 days, not available at launch of X1, terms and uses may change at any point we deem fit for any reason, with out notification.

==============================

15 years from now, you wont' be able to play X1 games at all, when their servers shut down, so its vaporware, but I can still plug in any old disk or cart from older systems and still play them.

You know back as far back as the atari , you could have a good social experience with friends by taking your cart over to their house, regardless if they have internet or not and they dont' have a random down time exceeding an hour (oh yes it happens), and you could play together.

Once those servers are gone, every non hacked system will become instantly useless.

I'm sorry if you wanna love the X1, you're just supporting changes for the worse, and I implore you to consider the harm before giving them money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom