• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xbox One Announced!

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
So, it seems Microsoft has finally decided to unveil their eighth generation competitor to the Wii U and Playstation 4, and the successor to the XBox 360, the XBox One! You can view an article featuring a video of the full announcement here. Take caution though, the video is long!

575846_156376644549289_982598139_n.jpg

Microsoft claims that this is going to be another revolutionary console, which includes many features, both old, new, and updated. Some of these features are as follows:
*It will interact seamlessly with television experience
*It will allow interactive television
*Voice activated power button
*Exclusive television content
*Exclusive Call of Duty DLC

The new controller is claimed to be the best controller. It includes:
*Integrated Battery Compartment
*Impulse Triggers
*Wi-Fi Direct Radio Stack
*Precision Directional Pad
It will also have a touch sensitive pad like the PS4 controller.

I do not know all the details, since I did not watch the entire live stream, but it seems like this is going to be one truly awesome 8th gen console. Though not typically an XBox fan, I might actually have to pick this console up!

So what do you guys think of all this? Do you think this new console will really be "the best," or do you think Microsoft thinks too highly of themselves?

Honestly, here's what I think:

The controller looks like the best part. It looks pretty comfortable to hold, and it looks like a good successor to the 360s controller.

The console itself is hideous. I mean, seriously ugly.

The new Kinect looks dumb too, just like the first one.

It also doesn't seem like Xbox Live is going completely free any time soon, so with that I think I'm getting a PS4.

Aside from that, it just seems like an overall "meh" console. I don't care about all of the TV integration or exclusive Call of Duty DLC. The only things I think they got right were the controller and being able to keep your 360's gamerscore and account.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
"Another revolutionary console"? Did I miss the first revolutionary console, Microsoft? Not sure what it's talking about with Television...but DLC? Ew. Voice activated off button? Oh this will be fun...

"It's time for dinner!"
"Gimme a second, I'm just about to beat the final bo--"
"Off."
*System shuts down*
"C'mon, dinner's ready."

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
No backwards compatibility, meaning they're gonna work really hard to even convince me to consider buying one... The voice-acivation option is just a drawback because voice commands just open up for an array of trouble. Not all X-box owners are CoD-fans, and not all X-box owners have an interest in using their gaming console for other things than games. So, no new console for me. I'm sticking with my 360 and Wii.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
-No BC
-Kinect required (most likely)
-Cloud storage mandatory
-Fee for used games
-XBOX LIVE still not free
-More like a cable box than a game console

Well, gee, Microsoft, it's a good thing you didn't confirm DRM, otherwise you would have made ALL the mistakes. Good for you. Have a cookie.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
My gosh, if this is the future of gaming, I may have to drop out and just play vintage consoles. I mean this console is literally a series of techno-gimmicks that few will ever use. I mean motion and voice tv controls? Ever heard of clap-on? There's reasons it failed. This box is just a series of new-fangled contraptions carefullt designed to sound and feel cool while they sap your money.

What happended to consoles actually being about video games. I don't want all this crap with Kinect, motion stuff, and tv interaction stuff, but I'd have to pay for it just to get the console. They've overshadowed the games themselves and the innovation within them with technical babble. God help gaming.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think the reveal was fine. People are always going to whine, same as they did with the PS4, same as they did with the Wii U, so I've really not been paying attention to the comment section's of websites due to that. Shame it's gotten that far but hey ho, on we go...

The console itself seems great, got no particular qualms with it at all. Controller is still spot-on, don't fix what isn't broken and all that, so I like how they've just sorted out that D-Pad but otherwise left it alone. The specifications of the Xbox are also pretty great, it's nice to see it's got some juice behind it and will be able to produce quite pretty lil' games. Hopefully it's UI will be fast and responsive. Features-wise, I like the idea of Live TV, and Snap-Mode too, really gives the Xbox a lot more functionality. Be nice to be playing a game, then just call a friend on Skype and hop into their game or something. Not a fan of voice recognition, will probably just turn that off. Features that I know people will moan about like lack of backwards compatibility, and the fee for used games, I don't really care about. I don't buy a new system to play old games on and I don't buy used.

But, at the end of the day, it's the games that matter, so that's what I'm waiting for. MS are toting 15 exclusive games by the end of the Xbox's first year, and 8 new franchises being developed solely for the Xbox. Sounds good to me Microsoft, I hope you can deliver on that one!

ihateghirahim said:
What happended to consoles actually being about video games.

Then why did you watch a console reveal? This is all about the console with a few games to show it off, what else did you expect? MS have said they plan on showing off all their games at E3.

“We’re really going to tell one story across two events,” said Greenberg. “So we’re going to start on the 21st and really that’s about revealing the next Xbox platform, really our vision for the future of games, the future of entertainment. We definitely have a lot of surprises planned...

Greenberg concluded his appearance on the podcast by stating that E3 “is all about the games,”

Microsoft to announce “tons of exclusives” at E3 next month | VG247

The console's name is absolutely terrible. People were complaining about the Wii U but you can't get much worse than Xbox One. The name suggests it's the first in its lineage; in comparison, the 360 implied a well-rounded console. It would have been more appropriate to dub this console the "Xbox 3" as generic as it sounds.

The controller looks promising. It looks like a sleek fusion of both its predecessor's controllers with a similar curve to the PS4's.

As a person who likes to play old software but quickly ditches former hardware for newer releases, the lack of backwards compatibility is a huge turnoff. Although I usually buy games new, fees for used games are ridiculous and will alienate a large portion of the market.

I'm aware this was a hardware presentation but Sony showcased a variety of PS4 games at that system's announcement. Microsoft's presentation was a lackluster encore.

Naturally, I'm going to buy the system if only for Halo but even the promise of 15 first party exclusives is lacking compared to what Sony's offering.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Alright...

-No BC
I don't buy a new system to play old games on. I still have my Xbox 360, which will be used to play Xbox 360 games, and the Xbox One will play Xbox One games. Simple.

-Kinect required (most likely)
Required for the console, not required for every game, so I don't really care. And things like voice recognition, nowhere, are toted as being 'mandatory', and considering the UI has buttons correlating to the Xbox's, you can still just use your controller just fine. Only problem I have is Kinect driving the price up, which is a bit dumb.

-Cloud storage mandatory
Not mandatory, the Xbox still saves data locally, but every user has access to Cloud-based storage. Which is brilliant, I love that about Steam and will about this too. Best of both worlds.

-Fee for used games
I don't buy used.

-XBOX LIVE still not free
However expensive something is, if it's worth the price, I'll pay for it. People felt XBL on the 360 was worth it and so paid for it, I'm not one to tell people how, or how not to, spend their money. Sure, it'd be better if it was free, but as long as it's worth the price, I don't really care, again. I subscribe to PSN because it's worth it, and I'll do the same with Live if it is too.

-More like a cable box than a game console
It still plays games. You can ignore all those features and just play games if you want to, and they're there for people who want them. I will be using a few of them at least.

The controller looks good as ever - even better.

Live TV is ridiculous. I can't imagine many people who don't have cable being able to afford a new Xbox.

I'm still waiting for Microsoft to realize Kinect is stupid. Hopefully game developers realize it's useless and don't try to utilize it.

The fee for used games is stupid, but to be expected. I rarely buy used games, anyway.

And the name sucks. Plain and simple. I always called the first Xbox the "Xbox 1" just to avoid confusion, and now it'll be confusing as ever.

Whether or not I buy the Xbox One will depend on how many good games the Wii U doesn't get.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
A fee for used games? Yeah this piece of **** will die hard. Sticking to my flop U. Later gonna grabt he PS4. Xbox One? Trash, just like the 360.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I know they'll reveal more at E3, but how badly could this hurt them? I mean I can see Sony and Nintendo, in the future, circling a failing Microsoft like buzzards. This may be premature, but do you think this console could flop hard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom