• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WWHD a Good Consumer Tactic?

Simply put, had nintendo revealed TPHD instead of WWHD do you think it'd lead to more sales?

TP is a game that was always designed to appeal to the broader market of gamers with its darker themes differing from the Zelda norm and its art style of semi-realism as opposed to Wind Waker. TP also channeled the one game every non loyal Zelda fan remembers and that is OoT while WW still has the stigma of aesthetics that has amazingly resurfaced with its HD graphics like an OAP with a knee complaint.

So, long and short of it, do you think TPHD would sell better than WWHD? Should nintendo have gone for TPHD instead of WWHD thinking from a majority consumer point of view?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
TPHD I think would lead to far more sales than TWWHD; the initial fan reception with TP was far greater than TWW's ever was. Honestly the two biggest problems with TP among most fans (as I read) are: lack of difficulty and blandness of color. Other things like linearity, patchy story and other things come in tune later, but those aforementioned two are the biggest. TWW is riddled with problems among the fans such as the art style, lack of difficulty, mundane sailing, etc.

I believe TPHD would just be the better choice as TWWHD. I'd prefer it that way anyway. ;)

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Well...with simple math...yes.

TP=Double tWW sales

So logically...

TPHD=Double WWHD sales

However, there's also the other factors like tWW's age compared to TP, if this game's graphics will pull out those who didn't like tWW's graphics before, etc. In fact, TP's great sales could be a disadvantage in some ways. I mean I personally am inclined not to get WWHD unless it's at a low price...because I own the game already. Had I not owned tWW, I might be more inclined to get the game.

While Twilight Princess has more appeal to the modern audience, I think the Wind Waker HD better showcased the Wii U's graphic capabilities. Although Twilight Princess's graphics are considered to be more "realistic" and "better" than the Wind Waker, they became dated as soon as the next-gen games showed off High Definition. People knew that time caught up with Twilight Princess and thus would expect to see improvements of the jagged ends and dull colors for an HD release. The Wind Waker, on the other hand, aged pretty well thanks to its cell-shading, to the point that it's shocking that Nintendo can still make the graphics better in HD. If Nintendo can do that for the Wind Waker, imagine what the next Zelda Wii U would look like.

Not to mention that this is the 10th anniversary of the Wind Waker's release and the backlash of the cartoony died down a long time ago.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
There a few factors to consider:
- The Wind Waker is much harder to get your hands on then Twilight Princess so less people have it and more people would be able to try it for the first time.
- Twilight Princess can already be played on a Wii U with a Wii disk.
- Twilight Princess' art style would probably be better suited to HD from the general gamers average point of view.
- Twilight Princess could be considered still too new to get a remake by some people.
- Sales of Twilight Princess were higher than The Wind Waker but it was a Wii Launch title and a Zelda game so it was destined to sell well.
Regardless of some of the above points I believe that HDTP would sell better.
But honestly...
HD Twilight Princess or Wind Waker?
RIP+quot+why+don+t+we+have+both+meme+quot+_aa8d900  e3c185ef3bdce7044a5241c53.jpg

Cfrock

Keep it strong
If they did make Twilight Princess HD then TP would have been made available on all of Nintendo's home consoles since the GameCube. I can see that hurting sales, especially since it can already be played on the Wii U anyway. Despite higher sales and an better initial reception, TP would appear to many as a money-grabbing venture. There are those who will call The Wind Waker HD a money-grabbing venture but the key ingredient is that it has more justification for a remake than TP and so will be seen by many as worth the money, whereas TP will be seen as more of a waste. So I think that TWWHD is a better consumer tactic than TPHD.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
An even better consumer tactic (and I can't believe I'm saying this) would be....MM. Seriously, that game is harder to get than tWW has more that could so easily be fixed, has more to gain from a graphical upgrade, and didn't bomb quite as badly. Majora's Mask got burdened with "Not as good as OoT", but tWW was hated when it came out. Not to mention, it failed despite having the most advertisement out of any Zelda game so far.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
An even better consumer tactic (and I can't believe I'm saying this) would be....MM. Seriously, that game is harder to get than tWW has more that could so easily be fixed, has more to gain from a graphical upgrade, and didn't bomb quite as badly. Majora's Mask got burdened with "Not as good as OoT", but tWW was hated when it came out. Not to mention, it failed despite having the most advertisement out of any Zelda game so far.
This so much. After reading what jimmy said about TP's availability (ah..there I go overlooking many things again), I realize that TP wouldn't be quite as good a venture as TWW would...but MM as much as I'd hate to see it on Wii U would be far better.

Just look at fans, raving around about MM. We have Operation Moonfall and several splinter groups (whose names don't actually exist). We have folks sending MM related e-mails to Nintendo day in and day out. ANd of course we have ZeldaDungeon + ZeldaUniverse going on about it from time to time. MMHD would be a much greater [potential] gain for Nintendo, speaking strictly theoretical sales, than TWWHD ever could be. At least, the way I'm seeing it.

Lord Carlisle

He Who Shall Not be Named
Sometimes I find myself wondering why Nintendo chose the tWW. Many have already made this argument, but the game didn't do so hot initially. Even though it's gaining respect, I agree that MM has a lot more demand from Zelda fans.

But a problem with releasing it on the Wii U is that we haven't been begging for an HD update of MM. We've been clamoring for the game on the 3DS. Only NOW are people saying they want it on the U. (Why are people never satisfied?) Besides, it makes more sense to release it on the 3DS after OOT3D.

Which isn't to say I prefer it that way. I'd love to see MM on the Wii U... it could be even more amazing than an HD Wind Waker. I just don't think it'll happen.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I think this was a great consumer tactic!

Here are some reasons:

-TWW is a lot harder to get a hold of than TP
-TP already has newer control mechanics in the Wii version
-TP is a lot newer than TWW
-There is more of a chance we will get a HD realistic Zelda similar to TP with ZWU
-Chances are WW's graphical style will never be seen again due to controversy
-Many people might not have played TWW due to some people's negative view of the game or its high price so it gives some people who may have not played it the chance to!

I havent had a chance to play TWW. the disks can be hard to find and youll need a GC controller and memory card to play it on the WII. with TP you can easly find it and play it on the Wii/WIIU without having to go buy accessories that you needed ( GC controller and memory card) . with TWW on the WII U its much easier to get plus it will have an upgraded graphics and possibly updated gameplay, so pepple like me who has not experienced TWW now can ( i just have to buy a WII U)

I think that is was a great consumer tactic because it was one of the zelda games that started all of the contriversy over the series to begin with and would give the new fans the ability to see what nintendo has done in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom