• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Writing Community Competition Week 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganondork

goo
Greetings, Ganondork here. As I somewhat expected, we only received a single entry this week; GaroXicon. I can't thank him enough - he's what's kept this competition alive. He has been the most consistent in terms of submitting, and he doesn't deserve to have to go week after week with it just being him.

This week, I have no intention of ranting, or trying to encourage more activity; what happens will happen. I'm in the process of trying to feature each week's winner, but this is not guaranteed. I'm hoping that this will help bring activity - praying really - but it won't just happen; submissions won't write themselves.

Announcement: Due to a change in my schedule - basketball practice has been moved to Mondays - the Community Competition will be put up Sundays instead of Mondays. This will give you guys one less day to write it. This shouldn't be an issue, as many people don't submit regardless of time limit.

Everything aside, GaroXicon submitted a fine entry as usual. Don't forget to comment.

GaroXicon

Power. Wisdom. Courage.

Nothing. Oblivion. Abyss.

There was nothing in the beginning. A void, empty of life, sound, light. And then the world came into being. It felt sudden, as if one moment the void just suddenly vanished, leaving a world in its tracks; but it grew from ideas. Three eternal Ideas that wove together the very fabric of the universe.

Power. Wisdom. Courage.

And then there was war. Dark armies swarmed across the land, slaughtering the good in its path. These aberrations rampaged mercilessly, holding but one Idea in their hearts: Power. It was their blindness to the other Ideas that ultimately sealed their fate, as the guardian of the Ideas drove them out of the land and sealed their Evil King. The dark armies were silenced - the Ideas were in balance.

Power. Wisdom. Courage.

And then there was a hero. A boy clad in green, on a journey of redemption and rescue, holding the three Ideas equally in his heart. He had traveled a great distance and faced many hardships, learning the value of each Idea in turn. With the power of the Ideas that bound the universe, he once again sealed the Evil King. And then there was peace in the world, the Ideas in balance.

Power. Wisdom. Courage.

And then there was another hero, also clad in green. Stumbling ignorantly through good intentions, the boy allowed an evil man to corrupt the Ideas. This evil man held only Power in his heart, and the Ideas were torn asunder. The realm of the Ideas was a twisted visage of its former glory, mocked by the evils in the man's heart. With the aid of a pure girl, the boy united the Ideas once more and vanquished the man, the Evil King reborn. And again, there was peace, the Ideas in balance.

Power. Wisdom. Courage.

The cycle would never be broken. For all eternity the Ideas would be in tumult, would be forgotten and remembered, lost and found. The Evil King would return, time and time again, and a hero would emerge, time and time again. So did the Ideas bind the world together, and so did the Ideas determine the course of the world.

Power. Wisdom. Courage.

***​

With this week done, it's time for next week's topic.

A Mysterious Character

Has there ever been a character in Zelda that has struck you as odd? Filled with mystery, perhaps? How do they behave when Link isn't around?

The word limit is 600; this story will more than likely require a bit of character development and detail, and will therefore require more words. This is due 2/5/12. Remember to send it to me in a Private Message. Have a great day.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I really like the repetition in GaroXicon's piece! Well done!

Thanks! :)

I love this competition even if I'm the only one submitting. I'm a very creatively driven person - I've always preferred arts and humanities over math and science - but I often run into issues writing when I don't have constraints. Constraints like deadlines and word limits and topics - which this competition provides - motivate me to get a piece out in time, and usually serves as a sort of warm up. So though only 200-600 of my words may get shown here, the fruits of this competition are much more substantial than just that.

Not this piece, but the one before it (Minuet) preceded the writing of a one-act play that was submitted to my school for our annual production of five student one act plays, and I found out yesterday that my play had been selected - and it's very much due to this contest being a creative jump-start.

I am very thankful for you for putting this on, Ganondork, and am always happy to submit an entry when I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom