• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Writing Community Competition Week 23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ganondork

goo
Greetings everyone, Ganondork here. With the end of last week's Community Competition (congratulations to Axle the Beast for winning), the next one will take its place. Unfortunately this week we only received a single submission. I hope that there will be more community involvement in the coming weeks; it would be a shame if inactivity strikes the competition again. If possible, take a bit of time out of your busy schedule and try your hand at submitting an entry.

As stated earlier, we only had one submission this week; GaroXicon. It's a very well-written piece, and it captures the Western atmosphere very well, and yet still has enough room to have action. It is definitely a piece worth reading.

GaroXicon

In Kakariko Village, the night is alive with energy. Intrepid men and women bundle up and walk the cold streets, dimly lit by hanging lanterns, and visit their small town neighbors, have drinks at the saloon, and swap stories of the days of old. Music fills the air as a boy dressed strangely in green plays a harp to a crowd of adoring spectators. Love is abound as young men pine after the few young girls, one of whom is the daughter of the saloon owner and is known to be off limits - but that stops nobody. The danger was half the thrill. Why else would they have chosen to remain in Hyrule long after the life had gone out of the land and desolation had won out?

As alive as the town is, it dies in an instant as a tall, large man garbed in black steps slowly into town. They know this man, and they fear him greatly. The music stops. People stand petrified in place. The man continues walking slowly into the center street, where he stops and stands. He pulls down a black bandana to reveal a sharp jawline. His dark, brown complexion makes him no easier to see, however, and he has a spectral quality against the black night sky. The Boy In Green steps out into the center street and faces the man.

"So you've returned."

The Man In Black chuckles. "I told you I would. As long as you and your descendants live."

The Boy In Green Watches him closely, his fingers resting tensely on the hilt of his blade. "And I'll drive you out, as long as you live."

"It's quite a game we play, isn't it?"

"I'll play as long as you do."

"So be it." The Man In Black places his hands on the two blades at his side. All around them the people watch in anticipation. Three unheard beats pass, and suddenly the two draw their blades and rush toward each other in a clash of steel. It is not long before the Man In Black is overpowered. The Boy In Green places the tip of his blade at the Man's throat.

"Run." He pulls his blade back, and the Man In Black quickly gets to his feet and runs.

The Man In Black flees across the desert. And the Boy In Green follows.

***​

And that's this week's submission. Remember to comment on what you think, if you liked it, or even if you have a bit of critique. This competition is also a good place to learn how to better your writing ability and I suggest any aspiring writer try their hand at this competition at least once. Now, onto next week's topic:

The Legend of Groose

The Legend of Groose was a joke made by Groose towards the end of Skyward Sword, but it has had a great impact on the Zelda Community; many Zelda fans want The Legend of Groose to become a reality. How would he adventure through dungeons? What items would he use? Would he be a silent protagonist like Link, or the talkative, outgoing man we've come to love? If you want, add a funny title to it if you want. Example: The Legend of Groose: Skyward Hair. It doesn't necessarily have to be serious, seeing as though Groose is rarely serious himself.

Remember to send me your submission through PM. It will have a word limit of 450 and is due 1/16/12. Have a great day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom