• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Writing Community Competition Week 20

Which piece is the best?

• Tavoriel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GaroXicon

• Caeda

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Writing Community Competition
Week 20
If Link Went to School

Yaaay~ Entries! Enjoy this week's range of pieces. Don't forget to vote and enter next week if you want! ^^ I have some time to enter myself, so I may be entering too sometimes.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tavoriel

Times Change

Link dropped his pencil. The Triforce mark on his hand was gone. When had it vanished? Earlier today? Earlier this week? He couldn’t remember when he’d seen it last. Suddenly, his test seemed unimportant.

A lot had happened since the person with a name tag and an empty smile had stopped him in Karikariko Village and said that kids his age had to be in school.

The Triforce shard was that of courage. But courage wasn’t necessary to come to class on time. It wasn’t necessary to solve for x or agree with the English teacher’s political opinion. Courage wasn’t necessary to stay in a building for seven hours. Here, courage wasn’t nearly as necessary as obedience.

Link stood up, sweating and shaking, earning curious looks all around. Had the Triforce mark vanished because he’d lost the need for it or because he’d lost some part of himself? Either way, he couldn’t stay here. He slowly walked towards the door.

“You okay?” the teacher asked. “I can write you a hall pass so you can see the nurse.”

Link had killed a beast fifty times his size using only a sword and a hookshot. He had navigated monster-infested halls using only a few items, his sense of direction, and the will to survive. He had met gorons and zoras, kings and commoners; he had seen the world and it had seen him.

This man wanted to give him a piece of paper so he could walk down a hallway.

Link ran.

It was a good week before they caught him.

He was given a foster family. Counseling sessions. A daily medication.

In Hyrule Castle, Princess Zelda continued to look out her window every day, thinking of the boy who promised to free her family from Ganondorf’s control. Out there. Somewhere.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GaroXicon

"7. Analyze the effects of the Fierce War on relations with non-Hylian civlization."

What? Link thought furiously. I don't know this EITHER... The clock was ticking, and it seemed to grow louder with each mechanical tick. Link scanned the rest of the exam - he was able to answer very few of them right away. As he flipped through the pages, the Triforce mark on his left hand caught his eye numerous times. Some good Courage does me... why couldn't I have the Triforce of Wisdom for this? He turned back to question seven. If only I had more time...

Even as he thought it, his right hand instinctively reached down to the satchel on his right side. Glancing around the classroom, he furtively took out the glistening blue Ocarina of Time and held it up to his lips. Blowing only slightly, making sure that he did not play loudly enough to attract attention, he began to play a short melody.

No sooner had he finished than the clock's furious tucking slowed dramatically. He watched Mido, who was seated next to him, writing out an answer. Each stroke of Mido's pen was much slower than it been seconds previously, and it appeared to take him several seconds to write even the shortest of words. Link grinned mischievously and set back to work.

How could I be so stupid, he thought. I've got all the time in the world...
Caeda

"... And that is the legend of the Hero of Time," said the teacher. "Does anyone have any questions?"

One of the kids rose her hand and said, "Teacher? I think Link fell asleep again." She gestured at a blond-haired boy in the back of the room.

The woman sighed, picked up her ruler, and went over to the boy. Sure enough, he was fast asleep. She smacked her ruler on his desk, and the boy sat bolt upright. "I wasn't asleep, I wasn't asleep!" he hastily yelled.

"Link, what am I to do with you?" the teacher asked, sighing. "You may be the laziest student I've ever had. You can't listen to anything without falling asleep! At this rate, you'll never amount to anything!"

At her words, a few people snickered, but she did nothing to stop them. She walked back to her desk, not seeing Link's look of rage on his face, nor hear him muttering under his breath that she'd turn out to be wrong about him...

Next week...

Writing Community Competition
Week 21
Saria

A very simple theme. But the possibilities are endless! Here are some ideas to get you started...

Think perhaps about Saria's feelings for Link, what does she think of him at different points? Maybe you could write about how she helps Link, or maybe her past. Also, think about how she spends her time. Anything at all!

Please PM me your entries by the 17th! Make sure your piece is 100-300 words long - poetry is accepted as well. That's all for now, don't forget to vote! Thanks~!

blue-eyes

Phoenix
Tavoriel's writing was really good, and the whole thing about the he had killed a beast 50 times his size with a sword and a hookshot was a good thing to compare it to.

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
I really liked the entries this week. It figures that the topic I submit I forget to write an entry to....

Anyway, I had a hard time choosing between the first two. Tav, you showed a pretty modern-day realism into the story, which I liked, but Garo, you portrayed Link as he would be submitted to peer pressure and not the perfect, silent protagonist we all seem to know. Vote has to go to Garo.

Keep up the good work, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom