• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Writing Community Competition Week 19

Which is the best?

• Ganondork

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GaroXicon

• Tavoriel

• Hero of Time

• Justeazy

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Sorry for the delay. I was away and such. But let's get back on track.

Writing Community Competition
Week 19

Ganondork

I trudged through the sands silently. The sun beat down my back as I continued my journey.

My journey to kill Ganondorf.

It was merely a few hours that I was walking, but it felt like an eternity. The sand was hot as they spilled into my boots. My hands were sweaty, and holding my sword was awkward.

Suddenly the sand began to pick up; the wind howling in my ears. I looked about for a cave as the sandstorm started. No cover was to be seen, and I had to endure it to finish my journey.

I finally approached the gates that separated the Gerudos from the harsh Gerudo desert. They did not allow me to go without a fight. They opened the gate, and many of them spilled out. I grasped my sword from its sheath on my back, and prepared for the battle.

The first came at me, her cutlass raised high. I stabbed her in the stomach, and she crumpled to the floor. The next cut my lip and I backed up for a moment; disoriented. They surrounded me; weapons at ready. I kneeled down for a second, and spun around; my sword outstretched. Bodies flew backwards as my sword made contact with each Gerudo in the front row. But there were still rows left to take care of, and my arm grew tired; and my vision blurred. My mind whirled as I knocked away the third row. One Gerudo jabbed me in the back, and I fell over.

I was picked up by the arms and carried away.

And here I sit, in a prison cell; my journey at a standstill.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GaroXicon

"The desert is a place like no other.

In its torturous environs, each miniscule grain of sand becomes a rusted needle to the wary traveler, lost amidst an endless sea devoid of water. No gentle breezes offer comfort from the searing rays of the sun, as only chaos governs the wind. Chaos, whose vicious hands stir the sands into unrelenting storms, obscuring vision and sapping the resolve of any caught in its grasp.

In these shifting sands, no refuge, no asylum will be found. None dare enter this wasteland haunted by wayward spirits - none, save the Gerudo.

Steeled by the cruel desert that is their home, these master thieves share a mastery of the blade. Any that wander into their valley will find themselves struck down in a flurry of steel. The Gerudo guard long traditions of nobility, obscured to the other races by the harsh desert that is their home. The searing heat of the desert is not lost upon them, for the Gerudo are a passionate people. Be it a passion for the blade, the bow, or even sheer power - all Gerudo cultivate a flame within themselves.

Home is where the heart is, and the Gerudo hold the desert close to their hearts."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tavoriel

Mistaken

Link turned Saria into a ghost. Or a sage, or whatever it was that owl had said. Effectively, she was all but dead to her old life. The thought burned through Mido's mind as he struggled through the desert. Struggled to stay alive enough to defeat his enemy once he had the chance.

He should have known--the Hylian he'd found snooping around the Lost Woods was Link, and sweet Saria had disappeared because of him. How had Mido had been blind to Link’s heritage for years? Now that he knew, the signs seemed obvious. Link's competitive edge in forest games that weren’t about winning or losing. Link’s possessive preference of Saria over the others. Link's love of hoarding shiny rupees he found in the grass. Typical Hylian; any Kokiri would know that nature’s splendor transcended everything. But Mido had never thought past mere suspicion; simple dislike. He had failed his people as a leader, and Saria had paid the price.

The sand in Mido's boots scraped against his feet, almost as harshly as the stifling air scraped against his parched throat. "I'm going to the Spirit Temple to see Link," the owl had said. Now here Mido was, miraculously alive after leaving the forest. As a Kokiri, he was not naturally violent. But all living things must protect their own. As leader of his tribe, it fell upon Mido's small shoulders to eliminate this giant who turned his people into ghosts.

He didn’t remember falling, but when he woke up, the kind Zora woman told him that he had. Luckily, he’d been spotted by a bombchu merchant and brought to this wonderful, water-filled place (the merchant hadn’t trusted the Gerudos enough to leave him with them). She also told him a few things about Link that he hadn’t known…
Hero of Time

A Gerudo woman briskly walked through the desert as a storm waged itself against her. The man she was seeking for stood in a small foothill with his arms crossed.*

"You're late, Nabooru," the man spoke in a demanding tone, as if she could fix the past. "Now tell me, is the castle capable of infiltrating?"

"Yes, Lord Ganondorf." She hated having to call him that. "Tomorrow at nightfall, the guards will be gone, with the king and princess exposed to your magic."

Ganondorf antagonistically laughed. "Very good. Tomorrow I will not only be King of the Gerudo, but King of Hyrule!" He laughed again.

Nabooru bowed to Ganondorf and began her trek back to Gerudo Valley.
Justeazy

The old man gathered all the children. It was storytelling-night, and this time it would be a little closer to home. When they had all sat and quieted themselves, with the fire crackling merrily just a short distance away, he began, like he always did:

"The courageous, green clad boy took a breath of fresh morning air. He had collected the energies from three—or was it four?; time has taken it's toll on me and I can't quite remember—ancient tombs. He then needed to cross the desert where the winds told of another, and—"

"Impossible," one girl interrupted, "you wouldn't see two feet in front of you! And even so, if he had stumbled far enough he would have drowned in the sand river. Noone can survive that, especially not a boy!" She said the last word with contempt.

"And," continued the old man, "he passed through this very village. Though it was much smaller at the time. And your mothers... no, your great-grandmothers threw him in jail!" He laughed. "And you know what? He broke out, and beat their finest warriors!"

"No way!" Another girl said. "He can't beat our warriors!"

"Ooh, but he did. After all was said and done, they gave him an honorary membership into their all-girl club, actually. And then, without a second though, he strolled off into the desert with his head held high. We never saw him again."

"So, he's dead?" Complained the first girl again. "After all these stories, that's the end?"

"Well, maybe it is. Or maybe this story is still being written. Because, you see, after he strolled off into the desert, it wasn't long until the repression at the hands of the false king ended, and further tales came to us of the courageous, green clad boy defeating him."

The night rolled on as the little Gerudo girls questioned him about all the happenstances during and after his impossible crossing of the desert. Finally, the old man bid them farewell, assuring them that there'll be more to tell next time.

Thanks to everyone who entered, you are keeping the competition alive :D

Next week...

Writing Community Competition
Week 20
If Link Went to School

Use your imaginations for this one! It could be modern day and Link could be a student in class, or it could be to do with a school back in Link's time. Link could be attending school at any age, so from the bottom of the school up to university or college.

Perhaps it could be Link's first day at school, or maybe a graduation. Or do you have the imagination to invent school back in Kokiri Forest? Anything at all, these are just some ideas. The sky is the limit, have fun!

Make sure your entries are 100-300 words and are sent to me by the 10th! (Sorry for the short notice.)

Thanks~

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
Wow, a lot of great entries!

My vote has to go to Tavoriel. I didn't really get the ending until I looked again at the title, but I think yours brought a new light on an often overlooked subject that has been the least bit overanalyzed. I don't know if you're trying to downplay the aggressive "false leader of the Kokiri" or trying to say that Mido actually thought his arrogance was true, but either way I liked the way you told his story. Everyone had great entries, but he gets my vote today.

Thank you! I suppose I was trying to say that even though Mido wasn't nice about it, he took his assumed role seriously.

Ganondork

goo
Definitely good entries this week! But my vote has to go out to Justeazy. I found his to be the most engrossing, and best written. Good job to everyone, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom