• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Writers Block: Real or Fake?

Writer's Block: Real or fake?

• Yes, Writer's Block is real

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, Writer's Block isn't real

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I'm just wondering, do those of you who do a lot of writing think that Writers Block is real or not? I've done my own research, and a lot of people say that it's just a lack of planning. Personally, I don't think so. I think that, most of the time, Writers Block is not not knowing what you are going to write, but not knowing how to write it. What's your opinion? Please let other people know about this topic so that I can get as many results as possible by 7 AM UTC-5. It's research for a project.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Writer's block is a mental block...it's real ina sense but it's also so easily destroyed that one can regard it as fake. like you said, people know WHAT to write...and it isn't that they do not know HOW to write it, but that they confuse themselves into a state of "disbelief" which is known as WB.

Fiery Klongo

I Am Mardric
I am a writer and I know that some writing gets dry after a while. Are you a Writer? If you are then I support your decision on asking about this disease. If your not..... then what is your true motive?......

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It's definitely real, and it's exactly what you described it as; you know what you want to write, but not how to express it in words. I write quite a lot, and I've experienced it more times than I'd like. It's really frustrating.

You could also describe it as a lack of motivation to write at the time. Sometimes, I know what to write, but I just can't bring myself to start writing. I consider that to be a form of writer's block too, but I don't know if it actually is or not.

No, I am a writer myself. I think that Writer's Block does exit. As earlier mentioned, a lot of the time, in my experience, it is that people know what they want to write, but not how to write it. Basically, they know what they want to HAPPEN but they don't know how to elaborate upon it or get there. This is partially because the writer wants the wording to be clear the first shot. Again, this is in my experience/opinion. AzureSage, you just worded what I didn't quite know how to. I just read it. I was once stuck on the fourth or fifth paragraph for a part in one of my stories and it took me a month and a half to figure out how to word what I wanted to say.

Last edited:

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Speaking as someone who loves to write, I can attest that it's very much real. When I'm in the right mindset, the words are just flowing, the characters feel as though they are really living inside my mind, talking to me. If I'm not in the right mindset it doesn't help that I know what I want to write, it just won't come out. I've tried forcing myself to write at such times, only to absolutely hate every sentence I write - I feel as though I've hit a wall, the words and my plan/idea/vision just won't cooperate.

To give an example, I have one story, it's 365,000 words long (took me two years to write), I know exactly what I want to do next, I have three very specific intertwining storylines all mapped out in my head (even now, five years later I still remember my specific plans for the story, how I would like to finish it), but despite all that, I just can't get it out right...

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Oh so very real. Your brain is stalled like a car with a flooded engine.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It's definitely real. I face it all the time. I have the most fantastic plots in my head and I know the whole story but just can't bring myself to write it down. If I start I just get stuck because I just don't know HOW. So I gave up.... the nutcase I am

It is indeed real, and I have suffered from it many a time. More often than not, I'm toiling away at something that's been floating in my head for a time, I leave to go to the bathroom or eat, and then nothing. I suddenly lose the ability to put words to paper. I know what I want written, but I can't get back into the flow that I just had.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Yes, it's very real, and it's really annoying. You create the perfect scenarios in your head, but you're not able to convert it into words. It's frustrating and stressful, and I've seen plenty of writers go through it. The same concept applies to artists with artist's block. You know what you want to draw, but you just can't draw it.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Unfortunately, yes it is. Tons of people--myself included--are affected by it and strive to come up with the proper words/wording to describe something. Writer's block impairs my mind quite a bit, personally, meaning that there are loads of potential terms buzzing around my head, and it's up to me to piece them together in the best manner possible. It's especially difficult for me to phrase something clearly because of the capacity of my current vocabulary, whereas others are hindered from expressing their thoughts on paper since they might not know enough suitable phrasings. In fact (as you may have noticed) the previous sentence resulted from writer's block; it was hard to jot down and became too lengthy in the process. Wordiness in an attempt to make a thought abundantly clear is another shortcoming of mine, typically...

On a more interesting note, I've noticed that sociable people tend to have more trouble with writing what they wish to say. This could be consequential to their notable aptness in preferring conversation over writing, as well as the desire to generally just be around others. When handed a pen and a piece of paper (or keyboard, etc.), however, their minds will freeze up. While this may not and most likely doesn't hold true to every single person, I estimate that the majority either opt for personable discussion or reticent writing.

Oftentimes, the best method for me to "remedy" writer's block is by perusing a dictionary or thesaurus. A dictionary helps because it provides clear-cut descriptions of a desired word, while a thesaurus shows lists of words close to the root word. Scanning through these will give a sense of what the verbal/written communicator aspires to convey. Building up a vocabulary isn't exactly the point either; it's just meant to get the visionary juices flowing again. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom