• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Wouldn't the "can't Kill People" Rule Apply to Ganondorf Too?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Ganondorf is a person, so then why can you kill him? In TP, I'm pretty sure Ganondorf died. So seriously.

Why is that even an issue? So what if you kill a person in a video game? It's a freaking GAME. It doesn't matter. If it's an issue of kids copying the behavior they see in the game, then... that's just ridiculous. I'm not a behavioral expert, but I'm pretty sure kids aren't THAT incredibly stupid.

Let me know what you guys think about this "can't kill people" rule.

Djinn

and Tonic
True the cannot kill rule only applies to humans, or very human looking characters in more family friendly media. The notable exceptions are robots, monsters, mutants, and relatively non human looking aliens. This is why everything Samurai Jack slices is a machine of some kind. It is not bad for Link to cleave into Gohma. Battledriods replaced soldiers as Starwars villains. Stormtroopers are clones. (it counts) While typically human characters die off screen. Usually by falling over or falling down a bottomless pit of some kind.

Often Ganondorf is a large blue pig monster when Link finally delivers the final blow. So Link fighting a pig mutant is perfectly fine by censor standards. However
Link did drive a sword into Ganondorf's brain in WW. But to keep things clean he turned to stone instead of simply dying like a normal person
So Link killed a pig in the Oracles, OoT, LttP, and FSA. While Gerudo Ganondorf is usually sealed away in the sacred realm or Twilight realm.
In TP Ganondorf did die slightly offscreen, with a lot of people still arguing if he actually died or not.We saw him fall over and the triforce vanished.
Zant neck breaking would also fall under the "He is not quite human enough to affect the rating" exception.

MrLuigi

Theorist
I copy the behavior I see off TV, just was I beat Wind Waker I shoved a claymore into my green friend's skull, and he DID turn to stone.

O

OceanicTempus

Twilight Princess was rated T, so doing something like that isn't too big of a deal since it's only one person who wanted to do nothing but tear apart realms out of rage and anger. (I assume)

Though, the final blow in WindWaker was pretty brutal... and Ganon was shown to not be completely evil, he was portrayed as scarred and somewhat emotional... I would say that it is (technically) a bit much for an E game... but the rating system isn't as important as people make it out to be sometimes...I've yet to stab a person even though I've been playing videogames across all ratings since I was 4...

Zelda has always been kind about this allowing enemies to blow up into smoke once defeated...this only comes into play when fight the final boss because of later zeldas

MrLuigi

Theorist
Djinn made a mistake.

We saw him fall over

It would have better for you to say his eyes went to the back of his head. Ganondorf was a stud and died standing.

Like a bauce.

Anyway, about this... I never really believed in this can't kill rule. Link kills stuff all the time, they just poof into smoke and stuff but it's still killing.

As for Ganondorf "dying" in Twilight Princess, there's no proof of that. And even if he did die, Twilight Princess was rated T (though that really hardly matters because so was Brawl, and animated blood had a lot to do with it.)

Where is there blood in Twilight Princess? I've played through the game twice since Christmas and have yet to see any blood.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Why is this in the Skyward Sword board?

Because I want to see this "can't kill people" rule done away with in Skyward Sword. That's why. Guess I forgot to mention that up there.

Where is there blood in Twilight Princess? I've played through the game twice since Christmas and have yet to see any blood.

They colored the blood green for censorship purposes, just like in Ocarina of Time, which really pisses me off.

linkman8

True and Noble
If I understand what you're saying, I think you're referring to the ability to kill whomever you please, perhaps with the exception of major plot-moving characters.
A couple of things wrong with this:

1. Anytime you give a player the ability to indiscriminately murder whomever they please within a game, including civilians, it automatically gives the game grounds for an M rating. Zelda should never be an M rated game.

2. As much as one would like to believe that people don't copy what they do on video games or see on TV, unfortunately they do. Why do you think there's been such a controversy over the Grand Theft Auto series? Because people do copy those things. For every intelligent, independent person in the world, there are several stupid people who still operate on the "monkey see, monkey do" principle.

3. Think about other games that implement such a high degree of freedom in the games, like GTA, Elder Scrolls, Fable, etc. They have to introduce a form of a moral justice system. For example, if you kill someone or steal something, you go to jail or you get attacked by guards, police, etc. This is more of a freeform game idea where you can become who you want to be and do what you want to do with your created character. Link is not a character you create. He is irrevocably the hero. Does indiscriminate murder seem like something a hero would do?

4. This does not apply to Ganondorf or his cronies because he is established as the root of evil in the game. Think about it this way. In a game which children can potentially play, do you really want gray area as to who is the hero, who are the innocent, and who are the ones who are explicitly evil?

I understand the desire for increased freedom in a game, but Zelda isn't a freelancer kind of game where you can do whatever you fancy.
There are some very good freelancer games out there that I would encourage playing, like Fable, Elder Scrolls, etc. in which you can actually do that sort of thing, but don't expect it in Zelda.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
If I understand what you're saying, I think you're referring to the ability to kill whomever you please, perhaps with the exception of major plot-moving characters.
A couple of things wrong with this:

1. Anytime you give a player the ability to indiscriminately murder whomever they please within a game, including civilians, it automatically gives the game grounds for an M rating. Zelda should never be an M rated game.

2. As much as one would like to believe that people don't copy what they do on video games or see on TV, unfortunately they do. Why do you think there's been such a controversy over the Grand Theft Auto series? Because people do copy those things. For every intelligent, independent person in the world, there are several stupid people who still operate on the "monkey see, monkey do" principle.

3. Think about other games that implement such a high degree of freedom in the games, like GTA, Elder Scrolls, Fable, etc. They have to introduce a form of a moral justice system. For example, if you kill someone or steal something, you go to jail or you get attacked by guards, police, etc. This is more of a freeform game idea where you can become who you want to be and do what you want to do with your created character. Link is not a character you create. He is irrevocably the hero. Does indiscriminate murder seem like something a hero would do?

4. This does not apply to Ganondorf or his cronies because he is established as the root of evil in the game. Think about it this way. In a game which children can potentially play, do you really want gray area as to who is the hero, who are the innocent, and who are the ones who are explicitly evil?

I understand the desire for increased freedom in a game, but Zelda isn't a freelancer kind of game where you can do whatever you fancy.
There are some very good freelancer games out there that I would encourage playing, like Fable, Elder Scrolls, etc. in which you can actually do that sort of thing, but don't expect it in Zelda.

I DID NOT mean that Link should be able to indescriminately kill random people. Zelda games shouldn't be llike Assasin's Creed games. I meant, if you fight another person in a sword fight or something, and you defeat him, that's like killing him. And apparently that's a no-no. Which I think is stupid and should be done away with. That's what I was talking about. And you have a point about the Grand Theft Auto thing you mentioned. That's why I believe that people who are stupid enough to follow the "monkey see, monkey do" principle should stay away from video games.

That's why I believe that people who are stupid enough to follow the "monkey see, monkey do" principle should stay away from video games.
thats the thing, the 'monkey see monkey do' people play videogames, and we can tell them not to, but they will always be playing videogmaes. Zelda is a child friendly, should stay that way...

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
Hyrule in the winter, Canada in the summer
@ Azure Sage, in the collectors or preordered gold version of Oot on the N64 when Ganondorf dies, he coughs up RED blood....then they changed it for later cartridge realeases. But yes, even with that we see the Can't Kill rule or the mutant kill rule being applied....I think this will have to stay with the series to make it Teen...so this rule may be around for a while....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom