• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Want Voices in the New Zelda Wii? (and for the Rest of the Zelda Series?)

I think it's foolish to assume that the series will go on forever without a single line spoken in a true voice. It's called progress; just like 3D game, motion controls, orchestrated music, online play, etc. You just can't fight it because it WILL happen. The real debate here is in what shape and form it'll take. It could be like the first Fire Emblem game to have voice acting, Path of Radiance, where you have all of three single scenes that feature it. It could be like Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, where only a select few of people get a sole sentence of dialog. Or they could go all Final Fantasy on us and have nothing BUT voice acting. I seem to agree wit the majority that there should a hybrid, a mixture of the latter two. Give some characters dialog throughout, especially the ones that were just introduced in that game, and including Zelda and the villain. It'd really make their character better. Leave mainstays like Link alone, because there's much sentimental value there (not to me, but meh, a series biggest problems are its fans).

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
To be honest, I couldn't care less whether they end up speaking in the next game or not. (I just want it to be RELEASED XD). I used to get all fussed about voice acting in Zelda, and be really opposed to it, but now I think it could make things a little more interesting. There's a few different ways they could execute it, either with everyone speaking or everyone minus Link speaking etc, but however they did it I have enough faith in Nintendo that they wouldn't mess up with the main characters voices- indeed, it could make the game a lot more memorable (as long as Zelda doesn't have a stereotypical British accent. Please.) But in fact, what would bother me more would be if the background NPCs had irritating voices. Nothing bugs me more in a game than some idiot in the background rambling away with the same rubbish lines over and over. Take the guards and the jester in the Palace in Kameo: Elements of Power. I could quite gladly murder them all for completely ruining the wonderous and magical atmosphere in there with their obnoxious and loud rambling. *sigh*

All the same, if they didn't include voice acting, I would be all that fussed about it either. Sometimes it adds to the experience, sometimes it detracts from it. But Nintendo are going to have to try it sometime in order to see which one it is for the Zelda series. EDIT: And I agree with Ver above me, I don't think the series will escape from it for much longer.

EDITEDIT: *looks over shoulder* Master K, are you following me? XD

Last edited:

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Honestly, I'd like it very much if Zelda Wii had voice acting. After all, that's why when I play games without voice acting I insert it myself during the cuscenes (all the while trying and failing to do convincing voices for characters like Tetra and Tatl :lol:). After all, it gives a lot of feeling and emotion to the characters. Just look at Kingdom Hearts. It just makes things that more compeling and under usual circumstances (IE boring text) I would be very uncaring of Roxas in 358/2 Days. But, with the voice acting, I feel sorry for him, Xion, and Axel even though they're technically villains because I actually feel their pain as though they were real people.

And really, voice acting isn't going to bog down the series, but rather, the lack of voice acting is bogging down the series in the sense that it's harder to achieve the feeling of sympathy for characters as though they were real people.

Really, it's a given that we're going to get voice acting eventually in the Zelda series. It's called progression, and no game series has escaped it. They either wither and die by refusing to embrace it, or they blossom and flourish because of the acceptance. And also, I'm pretty sure a lot of people thought 3D gaming was going to ruin games forever back in the day, but as it turns out, it only helped them flourish, but I digress.

Anyways, we shouldn't be talking about whether or not it's going to happen, but rather in what form it will happen.

Personally, I hope for a KH approach to voice acting, in the sense that the important cutscenes (like when Sora meets Goofy and Donald in KHI) get the voice acting while more unimportant exchanges (like just going up and talking to an NPC) gets the boring text. After all, it's annoying enough to accidentally talk to someone and speed through their text, but to wait through their speech would be pure madness.

Also, I for one am all for the idea of Link talking unlike some biased people. Sure, in more classic games like OoT and MM he was an avatar, and I wouldn't want him to do more than grunt or just say simple words like "Ouch" in Japanese (whenever Link falls off a cliff in OoT and takes damage, he says "Ite" which is Japanese for "Ouch"), but with games like TP and WW in which he was his own character, I'd love for voice acting to come and give Link an actual voice for once. But in the case that he's an avatar again in the future, I say that he should leave the talking to the other characters like Zelda and Ganon.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
I don't think it's necessary, I'd rather that space went to more musical and SFX variety.

I kind of prefer the more contemplative pacing that comes with text as opposed to voice acting.

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
I would never see this happen. Honestly, how many games have voice acting ruined? Too many. Just about every Spyro, and it definetly did not help Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. The only game that had good voice acting in my opinion was the Jak and Daxter series, and that was because Jak is nowhere near the icon that Link is. Honestly, Ijust want awesome orchestrated music and good sound effects for audio.

lilwilly

Swordless Link
i think it would be nice for that but they sould have done that since Zelda 2 When the talking rate got up

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom