• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Want Voices in the New Zelda Wii? (and for the Rest of the Zelda Series?)

S

ScottyMcGee

I've often asked my friends this question, and the first reaction they get is "Link doesn't talk." Well duh, Link never talks because Miyamoto always wanted it to feel as if YOU were Link. But that doesn't mean all the other characters can't have voices too. Haven't you ever wished to hear Ganondorf's evil speeches, or Zelda's soft spells, etc, etc? Wouldn't it make the cut-scenes infinite times more epic than they are?I for one am dying to hear voice-acting from a Zelda game; I think it would make the experience much more memorable.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I would like to see it once, just to see what it would be like. However, if they kept it like it is now, you wouldn't here a lot of complaining from me.

Vynn Sarr

Sith Lord
Well I love the way they do it now, I love the little noises people make to show what they are saying or feeling. If they were to put voices in, i probably wouldn't mind much if they did it right, but Link can never speak... EVER!

onebizarrekai

gay energy
That would be cool but... they never have talked! Nobody knows what their voices actually sound like, so everybody is silent and have only speech boxes. It would seem a bit awkward because in the past (whatever amout of Zelda games there were) nobody ever actually was heard when they talked. You could only see their mouth moving…

Waker of winds

Finally playing PH!
I agree with Vynn here.
It would be awesome to see voices in other characters, but for Link, it's best to keep him silent. I think that's the way his fans want him to be, but still, If the guys at Nintendo decided to give him a voice and if that voice sounded cool, I would change my opinion.
I've seen fandubs and some of them sound fabulous! If Nintendo decided to give voice to characters, I'm completely sure they would do a great job ^w^.

Anemos

Master of Chaos
Would You Want Voices in the New Zelda Wii?

If there is voice acting, it completely defeats the point of Zelda. It'll be like a good book. You imagine the voices of the characters one way, and then they'll have something completely different.

And that's ALWAYS disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I've never understood the whole 'The player is Link" thing, but that's besides the point. haha

I'm not sure how I really stand on this topic though. Well, as others have said, Link simply cannot talk. It's not his style. :P But other characters, I guess if done right could be good, but I'm quite happy with the way it's done now. I'd be more than happy for them to just leave things the way they are with that.
To me, voices almost seem like it would take away from the fantasical feeling of the game, and make it more realistic.

If there is voice acting, it completely defeats the point of Zelda. It'll be like a good book. You imagine the voices of the characters one way, and then they'll have something completely different.

And that's ALWAYS disappointing.

Not necessarily. Final Fantasy had text dialogue for every character for the longest time. I'm not a follower of that series, but I know at least by FF XIII, most characters (if not all) had voice acting. It didn't destroy the series in the least bit and it didn't really change the formula. The fact that Zelda has not yet had voice acting is as much a problem as them not having orchestrated music yet and its something that I think needs to change. Now, like some posters above mentioned, Link does not need to have a voice actor. Link originally and still is supposed to be the player playing the game and unless Nintendo makes some microphone device for the player to talk through Link and have it intelligently understand your response (which won't likely happen, probably ever), Link should remain silent. Let them add choices of dialogue for the player to choose from as responses to other people's voice acting.

Well, there'd have to be different animations for the north american version, where their mouths move to english voice overs. Then it could work if they hired the right people to do it.
If anyone has heard zelda reorchestrated battlescape, they kinda have people who have scripts. One has ganondorf and its actually done pretty well, and I think if his script was in a zelda game it'd be sweeeet!

S

ScottyMcGee

Final Fantasy began voice acting with FFX. It was the first FF game I played and it was amazing. Just effing amazing.

Dragon Quest VIII is another example of very well-done voice acting without the Hero himself saying anything. A Zelda game with voices would be exactly like Dragon Quest VIII.

13foxes

I think voice acting is a bad idea. Because if you want to read some messages again, you will have to listen to a same annoying voice over and over again. And you can't just press A to quickly bypass messages (if you can, then it would be some horrible meaningless sounds). And if your speaker is broken, or your parents wants you to be quiet,etc; then you can't hear what the character is talking about. Beside, some people with listening problem or foreign players may not be able to understand the language.

But, I wouldn't mind much if Zelda Wii does have voice acting, as long as it has great gameplay. I just prefer the original speech boxes.^^

(Sorry for my bad English :P)

M

maribell7

I totally agree, it would be awesome to hear their voices. Too bad we can't hear them. :(

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Well, there'd have to be different animations for the north american version, where their mouths move to english voice overs. Then it could work if they hired the right people to do it.
They don't do this for anything else as far as I'm aware of, so I don't see why they'd do it here? Plus, that's such a minor detail, that they probably wouldn't bother with changing.

Hylian Hobbit

Delightfully Delicious ;P
I've never been a fan of the idea. I think it's something that will come into the Zelda series eventually, but I can't say I favor that decision. As Mr. Mosely pointed out, other game series have made the adjustment while still keeping it awesome, so there might be some hope for decent voice acting in Zelda games to follow. But even if the voice acting is good (and there's a good chance it wouldn't be), I think I'd prefer it to stay silent. If they made the adjustment yet allowed you to turn it off or on, I'd be fine with that. It would succeed in satisfying (hopefully) people on both sides of the spectrum.

Even though I don't care for the idea overall, I admit to having the urge to see what it would be like. If they really got some good voice acting, and left Link silent, I think I could enjoy it to some degree. There would no doubt be some facepalm moments with the voices, but its possible for them to make it work. Either way, there will always be people who either don't like the silent text and want to here some voices, and those who shun the thought with every fiber of their being, hoping to keep the tradition. But even if it was done well, I think I'd prefer Nintendo to wait another few games before they add it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom