• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would you want a microchip embedded in yourself?

Why would they need to? They get most of that information from my phone anyway. But seriously, no, I would not want that.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
No thank you! Not for me! Not my thing! Na ah! No way!

And to the people that has done it with the argument that it's convenient: Is it really that much of a bother to take out your wallet and get your card out so that you'd rather insert a chip in your hand to scan immidietly? Are you really that lazy and short on time?

Hell no, I'm not some kind of pet that needs to be tracked. I'm perfectly capable of carrying cards and remembering passwords.

I certainly wouldn't trust the government to use any of that information to my benefit.

There are levels of trust. Do I trust a bus driver to safely get me to my destination? Usually, yes. Would I trust him with my life savings? Probably not.

And honestly, you don't actually HAVE to trust your government to live in a country. There are many examples from history of governments which were obviously not trustworthy, but it's not like the people living under Idi Amin's (or any other dictator of your choice's) rule had a lot of options.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
No I wouldn't trust the government with anything really. I'd get augments to enhance myself but only from a trusted manufacturer.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
No I wouldn't trust the government with anything really. I'd get augments to enhance myself but only from a trusted manufacturer.
I'm not sure I'd trust a private company either, to be honest.

Ethics only matter to the extent that they are profitable, to most companies.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
It's literally impossible to live in a country if you don't trust it's government :suspicious:

I live in a country and I don't trust it's government. It's run by power hungry corrupt out of touch rich people who care about their own self interests and clinging on to power. They will say anything to keep ahold of it whilst not really solving the deeper problems in society.

I'm not sure I'd trust a private company either, to be honest.

Ethics only matter to the extent that they are profitable, to most companies.

It depends who the manufacturer is. I think I'd like to do a lot of research before committing to anything to minimise the chances of buying from someone untrustworthy.

For me, it would vastly depend on the specifics. I don't think I'd want a tracking/ID microchip on its own, it seems like a PITA for not a lot of meaningful benefit. Call me when it does something more worthwhile than sparing my pocket a card or two. I'm not concerned about a "kill switch" (a plain ID chip, like the ones we put in pets, doesn't have a mechanism to do damage) at that level. Hackers are more of a concern. if "Your" frequency can be remotely scanned, it makes identity theft somewhat easier... though in theory if your position is logged fraudulent actions could be detected pretty easily.

I'm uncomfortable, however, with giving the government legitimate access to that much personal data (All movements) and fairly strongly opposed to handing it to a corp. But on the other hand most of them already have that data through legitimate, shady, or illegitimate means since I'm not an absolute "off the grid" luddite. And I have zero qualms with, in principle, having my body augmented with machine parts in order to improve my quality of life, and am under no illusions that a more substantial modification wouldn't also come with a microchip, advertised or no.

So I guess put me down as a "not yet". The benefit would have to be more tangible than one or two fewer cards in my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom