• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would you undo it if you could?

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
We're well over a year into this pandemic, and it's changed the world. If you were given the option of going back to February/March 2020 but this time there's no pandemic, would you take it?

I'm not sure if I would. On the one hand, I'd get to have a lot more time with my friends from the homeschool co-op my family went to, and there wouldn't have been a big delay in NASCAR. On the other hand, Chase Elliott won the championship last year and some of his wins came on races that happened because of the schedule realignment. I also don't think I would have had as much interest in playing the Zelda games on the Wii U that was given to us, and I wouldn't have all of y'all in my life :pikalove:

This is a very heavy question and it's definitely a difficult one to answer. I don't know a single person who did not struggle last year as complications from the pandemic, and more specifically the lockdown. When you're in a bad place, the most comforting thing can be consistency, and the world and the way we interacted with it was so different since the lockdown begun, that there literally was very little place for people to get their footing.

There are a lot of things that I wish I could have changed about my life, and sometimes I reflect back on how if I weren't so stupid in elementary school, then I never would have gotten pulled from the private school where I was bullied. And if I never started going to a public school, I never would have spent time on the computers in study hall and joined ZD. So even amid all my regrets, there are always good things to come out of the bad, even if it takes years to realize what those good things may be. (And I'm really glad you joined ZD and I got to meet you too, Chevy.)

For the lockdown, that good thing was a realization about my own nature as a person. For a long time, ever since I was bullied actually, I had always believed myself to just be a really passive person and I really do just let people push me around as much as they like. But last year, having been constantly subjected to the verbal and emotional abuse of my dad who no longer left the house, I finally realized there is a breaking point. I finally realized that I actually do have a will and it is one that is strong, despite my passivity. I'm more resolved and ambitious as a person knowing this about myself, and while it will be a difficult road to safely tread without setting my dad off, I know what I need to do to get my life together. Prior to the lockdown, I would have never wanted to think about moving out and getting on with my life, and while I've lost a year of progress due to the lockdown, I think I would have been further behind mentally had the lockdown never happened.

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Nah. Too much stuff I don't wanna have to redo. More school? No thanks. I'm pretty satisfied with my progress in regards to hobbies and socially too.

ChimeraWarden

I hear thunder, pitter patter..
Supposing I had previous knowledge from before the undo, Right before I’d write down the results of various jackpots and then bet on those things and proceed to be rich.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
As much as the pandemic kept me in the house even more than I already was most of the time and caused a few smaller issues with my family, having online communities to connect with has been great. I've been lucky to meet some of the nicest folks I've had the pleasure of chatting with during quarantine and the pandemic, whether on Serenes Forest, Zelda Dungeon, or Discord.

I likely wouldn't be here now were it not for that. Along with that, I've come to a better sense of myself, accepting certain aspects of who I am that I wasn't comfortable with before, and I've gotten into writing in a way that I wouldn't have otherwise, along with other positive things that have come into my life in the past year. So no, I wouldn't undo it.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I know thoughts like these cross peoples minds, afterall reflection is natural and can be good to help one move forward. The pandemic has been a terrible thing, many people have struggled over the last year, and there sadly have been many deaths due to the virus globally. For the sake of sanity, staying positive is something we have to do, so we have to focus on what few good things that have happened for us, even if those good things came about because of the state of the world. Branching out and meeting new people online, discovering games that are new to us, getting extra time for ourselves – whatever it is, that's great.

But, would I trade all that to make 2020 just a normal year? It's tough to say, and not everyone will have the same answer. There is definitely a part of me that absolutely would love to be tossed back to February 2020 and the pandemic never happens. This is being extremely optimistic that there aren't some future reprecussions that are even deadlier, though. Maybe there is some silver lining to this pandemic, maybe the knowledge learned here will be invaluable to prevent something else in the future, meaning going back and erasing this could be fatal to humanity at a later date. The right choice could be to simply let history proceed naturally.

We cannot truly change the past anyway, but we can make a better future and that's what we should really focus on.

Last edited:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
As annoying as it has been at times I wouldn't undo it for myself. I moved in with my girlfriend and her housemates when the first lockdown happened which is something I would not have chosen to do otherwise, particularly so soon in the relationship. However it was the best decision I could have made. Had a wild time and I have made strong bonds with all those people who I spent cooped up for months with and I wouldn't have done so otherwise.

Even if I'd have had a bad time of it I still wouldn't undo it. This pandemic was needed to wake people up to the dangers of a deadly virus. It's not even particularly dangerous to most people, mainly the old or those with health problems already, but there will one day come a virus which is deadly to even a healthy person and we need to be ready for that and have the systems in place to be able to function whilst keeping infection control in place. This outbreak was handled so poorly. Had this been a slightly less lethal version of ebola for instance, which didn't kill people so quickly and therefore was more transmissible, it would have meant the end of civilisation as we know it.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
Yes I would. It has made school a great deal more frustrating having to use the crappy school-issued laptops for everything you do, from Zoom calls to papers to 3D modeling software. It's also been hard to find an unoccupied place in the house to work.

I have not been able to go to the gym so I have lost fitness, and I'm going to need a lot of fitness next year. I have had no one outside of my immediate family to converse with so I have lost social skills too, which I will also need next year.

Some good has come out of the pandemic for me since teachers have been giving more open-note tests, which was especially helpful this year because my classes were more difficult.

But still, society as a whole has suffered too. Unemployment has skyrocketed and there has never been a harsher time for theaters, amusement parks, or airports. People, especially dependents, have more or less been under house arrest for over a year. I've always been somewhat of an introvert, and even I have found myself missing going to school or the store or anywhere with real people, so imagine what that would do to younger children who are more outgoing and can no longer take part in their main recreational activities. Funerals, weddings, and other celebrations? Not happening.

Beyond all of the effects of lockdown, we often forget that there are still people dying and getting hospitalized because of the disease; so many in fact that hospitals are having trouble keeping up.

I do understand that the pandemic has led to good things for some people and even the environment. But there is no doubt that it has been a major inconvenience for society and hell on senior citizens and the working class.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
First of all @Fraxinus you're one of the coolest people I ever met online. And I think you're a very genuine and honest person who went through a lot but who never gave up. To hear that you're finally able to stand up for yourself and no longer let other people push and pull you around is so good to hear! Nobody deserves to be treated like trash and especially not such a goodhearted person like you. You deserve the best of the best :pikalove:

Nope, nope and nope. I wouldn't turn back time. The lockdown brought a lot of good things as well. If there wasn't a lockdown I doubt I would've gotten as far at work as I'm now. It used to be rush rush rush but with the lockdown it wasn't necessary. And who would ever have thought how worthy and valuable toiletpaper would be :whistle::ninja:

Ninja

Well well well
Yes, I absolutely would. COVID took my father from me, a day before my daughters first birthday. He was supposed to fly in the day before, but we asked him to stay home since he was feeling sick. His wife woke us up at 5AM via video call, saying that something was wrong. He was on the couch, stuff, lying there. I knew. We all knew.

I grabbed my wife's phone and called 911, got transferred to the local department in Florida, and asked them to please go out and check on it. His wife, kept the video on as the paramedics came. They put him on the floor and removed the blanket, his arms were still stiff, but they tried anyway. We watched as they gave him CPR, the shot, the defibrillator, the machine for automatic compressions, however, they could not save him. I spent my daughters birthday gathering with a poker face, was genuinely happy to see our close friends and family, but kept the pain hidden, until we got home.

It's been a little over two months since my father passed, and there isn't a day goes by that I don't carry the sight of seeing him on the floor. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't hear his wife crying in the background. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't carry an enormous amount of guilt for not letting him see my daughter for the first time. There isn't a day that goes by, that I don't pass by his ashes on my table, and want to break down for him not being able to be with us. It still does not feel real.

So yes, 110% yes, in a heartbeat, no questions asked.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
I would absolutely undo it. Nothing good came of it for me. My mental health took even more of a hit because the main cause of my OCD is contamination which doesn't pair well with a pandemic. Not to mention my mom spent Christmas in the hospital because she got covid and developed covid pneumonia. And one of my cats had passed away just a couple of days before she was diagnosed. Any progress I was trying to make on learning to drive and getting my license was set back. I haven't gotten to see my older brother and sister in a year. And I was supposed to start allergy shots for 4 years right before we were aware of how serious the virus was, so that was delayed by a year.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Kinda yea and no....because i was tryna build up my independence which covid pushed back but i gained a new nephew and i felt kinda isolated cuz ive had to shield....amd we lost @Spirit and @Sheikah_Witch but met some new zd.ers....

Last edited:

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Hm, an interesting question. Going through everything was really tough at the time. When my school shut down, I was left stuck at home all the time. It was fine at first, but after a while it started to really suck. I'm a carpenter, I like to be able to work on things and see that I'm accomplishing something. But everyday was the exact same thing, with no purpose. I spent months coming up with tons of crafts just so I could build something. Another thing was that my parents are very protective, and never really let me go anywhere. I didn't see my friends for months, I was just stuck on chats and stuff. I hate that. Just being so cooped up is terrible.
But would I change it? Never. Over quarantine I learned so much about myself, and was really able to find time to grow myself as a person. Yes I missed my friends terribly, but as they say absence makes the heart grow fonder. I also realized who really mattered to me, by who I stayed in touch with. Plus I don't think I would have had the time or patience to finish Skyward Sword otherwise XD. Now I know I want to focus on the things that matter to me, and anything else is unnecessary. ZD is definitely on the nonexpendable list!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom