• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Stop Playing the Legend of Zelda if Link Was Homosexual in the Next Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
Why would I stop playing? I don't care if Link is Homosexual. It's about playing being Link and save Zelda from Ganondorf. Not about being Link and be homosexual. It's all about Legend of Zelda, not Link being different.

I don't see how that would change anything in a Zelda game. I don't think Link's sexuality should be an issue in a Zelda game, to be quite honest. I think Link represents the player. That's why he has no voice. You have to fill that void with your own personality. That's why I prefer him to be "generic".

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
Sigh...like the presidential thread a few days ago.....who gives a ****? Homosexuality isn't something evil. If Link was gay it wouldn't be the end of the world. Since Link is no longer an avatar for the player really, it wouldn't be like Nintendo was forcing you to be gay by playing the game. The Link of that game would just prefer men and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I just recently saw Cloud Atlas (which I would highly recommend because it's amazing) and one of the six story lines in the movie was a classic love tale, except that it featured two men. I actually found that to be my favorite arc. While this a bit of a tangent, it just goes to show that a homosexual relationship can be just as beautiful and just as meaningful as that of a straight one. Let Link be gay if Nintendo desires, I really just don't care.

Honestly I just want Link to actually have some sort of physical relationship with a character....I mean honestly...has Link even kissed someone since Adventure of Link?

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
It might take a little getting used to, but I would still play a Zelda game where Link, or any other character for that matter was homosexual.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
If the gameplay etc. were good enough to make up for the awkwardness of playing as a character that I couldn't relate to then I might play it. Otherwise I'd just skip that game. One game I don't like isn't enough to ruin the series. Only if it becomes a trend.

Really lots of stuff I can't relate to Link, His choices, Clothes, Physical attributes.. So him being gay wouldn't really change much for me. Zelda doesn't seem like a series were you are supposed to feel a connection with the character you are playing, Otherwise we'd have more customization for Link's looks and his choices during the game?

I think I'd feel very uncomfortable playing as a Homosexual... It's not that I have anything against Homosexuals, it's just that I don't think it would suit Link to be fair.

The Legend of Zelda: The Opened Closet...

If it's a good game, sure, I'll play it. If not, I won't. And if I don't no doubt I'd be accused of homophobia and made a mockery of. That seems to be the general jist of society nowadays.

I don't think we will ever see that in Zelda. But even if it were to happen, I would still play the game. What's sad is that I know people who would actually stay away from that game if it were to happen.

That would be stupid, relationships and sexuality are never a point to the game, they are only minor and are implied. If Link straight up kissed a guy I would turn off the game.

A Zelda game where Link is homosexual would certainly be interesting. As Dragoncat mentioned earlier it's unlikely Nintendo would produce such a title considering the company has yet to show Link and Zelda kissing on screen, however, I would play said game if it were created. My only question is who would Link be trying to save? His sexual orientation obviously excludes Princess Zelda from the equation.

Cfrock said:
like Rowling did with Dumbledore

Wait, what?

Dumbledore is gay?

I would love to see a major game series or company put forth a gay character. Not like in Skyrim where you can marry someone of the same sex but is an RPG where you character has no personality besides what you give it, but rather an actual developed character who is gay.The walls need to come down and that would be a nice step.

I am not sure Zelda is the series for that though. Nintendo has always thrown in some innuendos and what not but never outright gave Link a sexuality of any kind (besides maybe Zelda II with the ending kiss). Nintendo likes to leave it up to the player if Link is in love with a character not (Again see: OoT with Saria, Malon and Ruto whom fans still love to debate about). Zelda just isn't the kind of series to ever really venture into those waters and giving Link any sexuality, even heterosexuality, might be a bit off-putting.

To answer the question, would I play? Probably, but my concerns don't have anything to do with Link being gay but rather if the series needs to assign him any sexuality in the first place.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Wait, what?

Dumbledore is gay?

Yeah, she put absolutely no hint of it whatsoever in any of the books and after the last one came out (no pun intended) she turned around and told everyone that Dumbledore was gay. It served absolutely no purpose to the story and, if anything, probably made some people like the character less (not so much because he was gay but for knowing him so little that this came as a surprise).

That's what I mean when I say Link being gay just for the sake of being gay is a silly thing, because it serves no purpose and therefore is totally redundant. It would only make sense if there was some reason for him to be gay and any reason that focuses on Link's sexuality might be mishandled and distract us from the game or make the character unrelatable. So while I would still buy the game regardless, I don't think Nintendo should do it.

Kappa

Black Cat Royalty
I'd keep playing. Not only does Link already have a tendency to give off those vibes sometimes, but if a homosexual romance is done right, it can be kind of cute. I'm not really a fan, though it wouldn't ruin the game for me entirely.

I think after SS though or even before it came out, Ghirahim and Link already seemed like that...But like MrGray said, it would be odd for him to save the princess but still be gay. I mean, sure, he could do it, but he probably wouldn't have the same motivation and we'd get about half as far through the games as we normally do. I mean, what's the point of saving a girl you don't really even care about? Sure, she's a princess, but if you're gay, whaddya care?

In the end, I'd still play the game, but it seems like it'd be more comical and not have the same emotional drive as the typical Zelda game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
. I mean, sure, he could do it, but he probably wouldn't have the same motivation

Link's motivation for saving Zelda in almost every game has nothing to do with a possible romance. Nothing. Us fans love to reason that Link saves Zelda because he has some sort of sexual drive or whatever, but really he's saving her because the main villain is a threat to the world. Link is courageous, not selfish. So, Link would largely have the same impetus for saving Zelda, Hyrule and even the world regardless of his gender or sexuality. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom