• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Like to See Zelda Be More Popular Than Mario?

zellinkda

one of many
this doesn't have to do with a certain game....but me personally, i'd like to see zelda become more popular of a franchise than mario. nearly everywhere i go (except clothing stores) i see mario plushes or mints or chapstick or something. but i don't usually see zelda stuff. i'm really just talking about the series as a whole. i'd like to see zelda get more things in the stores. we are not going around hating on mario, but i still want to hear your thoughts on bringing more zelda stuff into stores. and who knows? maybe it's just where i shop.:) thoughts always welcome!:)

Yeah, I'd like to see that as well.
But, I'm pretty sure it will never happen.
Mario is a much easier game to just pick up and play, than Zelda.
It's appealing to a more casual audience, like younger kids. (as well as older folks)
So, Mario will probably always be the poster child of Nintendo.

I don't really think that their is a huge gap in popularity there, at least not as far as sales go. I personally enjoy both Mario and Zelda games a lot, so which one is more popular doesn't really matter to me.

New Link

Link's Reincarnation
Yeah, I'd like to see that as well.
But, I'm pretty sure it will never happen.
Mario is a much easier game to just pick up and play, than Zelda.
It's appealing to a more casual audience, like younger kids. (as well as older folks)
So, Mario will probably always be the poster child of Nintendo.

Yeah what he said is right! And also just because you see more mario stuff doesn't mean it is less popular it is just that they know it will sell better. Anyway nothing can beat nintendo's first party software. Especially Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
Heck yeah. People always call Nintendo "kiddie" and it always makes me mad. It isn't true. People think that because Mario is the face of Nintendo. If Link were to become the face of Nintendo, that would change. So yes.

Norm

God-King of Teh Intarwebz
Clearly in ur tube, blockin ur internets.
I know, right! I heard somewhere that Zelda is the third most recognizable game series, yet it's all about Mario. I don't have anything against Mario, but everyone I know (that plays Mario and Zelda) says Zelda's better than Mario.

The reason Mario is more popular and diverse is because just about anything can fit in a Mario game and still feel like Mario. Zelda is not that broad, so if Zelda was that popular, it wouldn't be Zelda.

atompike

On my Zeldathon Quest
In my opinion Zelda already is in some ways because Mario has about a billion spin off games whereas Zelda 90 percent of the time stays true to the story.

Skunk

Floof
Me personally, would like for the popullarity to stay the same. See, I have this weird fear that if Zelda became more popular than Mario, Zelda would become... what's the word... to cutsie. But honestly, we all know Zelda is more popular, you know, in countries that pay more attend.Fiona's to stories rather than CoD. No offense to CoD fans. Overall, maybe Zelda and Mario could just be the way they are now. Neither is neccessarily broken, so don't try to fix 'em.

atompike

On my Zeldathon Quest
I change my mind I agree with you. Let it just continue to have a devoted franchise and followers but don't make it a cute mascot.

MW7

This is selfish, but I actually want the series to get less popular. If Nintendo made the games more challenging and less approachable for new players, then I'd almost definitely enjoy the games more but less people would like them. Using examples, I love Majora's Mask but that's definitely not for people who are new to the series. Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are much more approachable for new players, and I feel like the things that make those games approachable are the things that bother me about those games.

For example in the openings of the games, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword start off with low stakes easy things to get players warmed up and used to the controls (and they basically tell the player exactly what to do- except for catching a second fish, that was just confusing). In Majora's Mask you find yourself in a town with impending doom counting down, and you have to figure out how to get your instrument back. If you run out of time, the world ends and you get game over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom