• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Like to See Zelda Be More Popular Than Mario?

I think popularity doesn't really matter, though I would definitely like more Zelda merchandise if it was good quality. I like both, but I prefer Zelda.

Pinhead101

Pokemon Master
Mario and Pokemon are the 2 most popular franchises. It would be nice to see Zelda in at least third place. It's been around for 25 years after all

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
I wouldn't mind Mario that much, but Mario is taking ALL the fame. Seriously, Nintendo websites, t-shirts, posters, everything promotion Nintendo is Mario, seriously..no Zelda, none at all! Now I get it, Mario is easier and appeals to more audiences then Zelda..BUT SERIOUSLY, LINK GETS NOTHING! That's why i'm mad.

I will say one thing, Nintendo puts more effort into there Zelda games (more time) and doesn't make one every year, then make a really good one every 3-5 years. Mario is rushed out and it's just the same every time, but they take there time on Zelda, new looks, new puzzles, new items..so i'm at least thankful for that.

Definetely, but I think Zelda and Link doesnt fit to be it, if you think of being a mascot. It may be of the franchises name, it is called after Zelda. It would just make more confusions of whos Zelda. It would be really cool though.

It'd he nice but would never happen. Mario's just much more accessible and appeals to all ages whereas the puzzles in Zelda are too difficult for younger gamers who the Mario merchandise is more targeted at. But then again, Pokemon is pretty complex and kids eat that stuff up...

TheWakerofWinds

Beat Minish Cap *___*
Mario is Nintendo's mascot and as such his games aren't taken too seriously. Ninty will give us a real good'n every once in a while (Galaxy is still my favourite) but on the whole he's given the mascot treatment. It wouldn't take long before we'd be seeing Zelda Kart if Zelda became the No 1 Nintendo franchise.

They certainly seem to put more effort into Zelda though.
For some reason, the thought of "Zelda Kart" is somewhat disturbing to me.
Mario's much more flexible as a character/franchise. You can plop him into any situation, and it works. Like Mickey Mouse. With Zelda? Not so much.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Well I don't play that much Mario so I don't have as big of a say, but yes, I would. I think Zelda is better than Mario(from what I've played of Mario) and I'd like to see it be more popular. Yeah, I don't have a lot to say since I don't have a lot of experience of Mario, but I'm sticken to what I've said for now.

It would be nice if Zelda got a bit more popularity than it currently has, but I don't see it being more popular than Mario. Super Mario is not just targeted at Core-gamers, it's aimed at pretty much anyone: kids, adults, etc. Zelda is more for Teens and mabye a couple of adults but it doesn't really appeal to an everyday person like Super Mario does.

Last edited:
Yes. I never really got into Mario, mainly because of the whole "die from barely touching an enemy" thing... Got really annoying

DazzWarr

Dazz
It would be nice, you know, having ZeldaKart and more other side games like that, like the success of Mario allows it to have. Although it would be annoying to hear the stupid wannabes saying 'Zelda is that little boy dressed in green right?'

I wouldn't say Mario is more popular. Among gamers who've played both, most would choose Zelda over Mario. From a view point of people who haven't played either, Mario might seem more appealing, as it is a broader franchise with more diverse games (sports, RPG, platform, ect.).

I personally would like to see Zelda gain some popularity over Mario, If not only because, when you mention Nintendo, what's the first thing that comes to mind: The Italian plumber who eats mushrooms right? The things I never hear are: The guy in the green clothing, or the pink puffball, or the space fox.
I would like to see some other series gain a little more popularity, if not just because Mario is getting juiced by Nintendo SO much*

*(Mario Party, Mario Kart, Mario Golf… etc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom