• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Like to See Link Swordless?

Hello, Barkleylola here wondering if you want to see Link without a sword? (at some parts of the game) Just like the final boss in OOT.
I would like to see some parts swordless and some not.

Djinn

and Tonic
There actually was a point in LttP when Link did not have a sword for a while. That is when I realized none of the other weapons were good enough to substitute.

As long as the segment without the sword is relatively short I do not see a problem. But only for an event type of situation. Like Reignbow said, any long period without a sword I would definitely not like. Scrambling to use another weapon in a dangerous situation would be hard since I would not be nearly as good at using any other item as the sword. The other weapons are only really used when necessary while the sword if the multitool for every situation.

I wonder just what else Link would do to fight when without a sword in hand. Use the shield like Link's Awakening? Or just switching to the next best thing in the inventory. I suppose if every Belomont can use a whip well enough to take on the hordes of the abyss every new sequel, Link could probably do the same.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Once when I played Majora's Mask, I infiltrated the pirates fortress after leaving my sword at the smithy and fought the pirates for the zora eggs with the hero's bow. I don't have a problem playing swordless. It's actually kind fun to me. It's like a personnal challenge. So as long as I could use the bow or something in a period of swordlessness, I don't mind how long it lasts.

G

Gaspra

This kind of goes hand-in-hand with a post I made (which was deleted in the 3-day loss of death. :( ) about stealth kind of missions in Zelda games. I think being without a sword leaves a lot of room for creativity in the gameplay and ingenuity in the player. So yeah, bring on Swordless Link.

Awesome idea! I sure would love to be swordless through a whole temple, just like in the WW... it would be fun like maybe link will run through the whole temple. Or take his time, and sneak past the enemies of that temple. XD

Nope. I feel so vulnerable without the sword in hand. Also, seeing as this game is advertising 1:1 swordplay, I don't think we will see much anyway...

Uhm, it has actually been confirmed that there will be parts (maybe dungeon(s)) in SS where you won't have your sword, and you'll have to mostly solve puzzles and flee from enemies (stealth?). This reminds me of the Forsaken Fortress, which is a great thing. Things like this bring much needed variety in games, and I love it.

blubb

Ash Gala Wonderful!
Well, it depends a lot on how it's executed. I definitely don't want a stealth mission like in WW's Forsaken Fortress again, for me that was the most annoying part of the whole game, even more so than collecting the Triforce Shards, mainly because you had no other combat items you could use and had to wait ages for the guards to pass by and they caught you at totally random distances and angles and you had to do the whole thing all over again, equaling instant death in other Zelda games where a game over also resets you to the entrance of a dungeon.
If they decide to include a swordless part, Link should at least be able to use other weapons and he should not be resetted to the beginning of that part instantly on enemy (eye) contact. Furthermore it shouldn't be a large part of the game, after all it's Zelda and not Metal Gear.

I would assume the swordless segments would be quite the challenge, which will force you to be creative with your other weapons on hand. If we're lucky, we'll get another stealth segment, much like the first Forsaken Fortress visit in Wind Waker.

Caeda

Keyblade Master
I'm the kind of person that would rather just swing a sword at an enemy then use magic or whatever. For example, in Kingdom Hearts, I tend to just wack enemys with Sora/Riku/Roxas's keyblade then use magic. However, I don't mind not having a sword for a while, like in the first part of the Forsaken Fortress in the Wind Waker. That was fun. So as long as it doesn't happen too frequently and/or we have good combact items I won't mind.

Jedizora

:right:
I would rather have no swordless parts. I wasn't a big fan of the forsaken fortress first time around, and I think that anther stealth portion in a game would be over doing it. Letting him keep his other Items just would defeat the whole purpose.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Sure, swordless parts in a game could do well. This has been done in ALttP, OoT (if you didn't get the Biggoron sword), WW (for a rather extensive time), and none of the games really suffered or got praised a lot for having the swordless parts. So I don't see why not, it would add a little variation to the game as long as they don't go too far with it (like Link starts to punch enemies).

benjibibbles

Disastrous Waffle Person
I think a few stealth sections would be a much wanted breath of fresh air in between all the stabbin'. It would be great to mix things up a touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom