• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Like to See Another 2d Zelda Game?

Maybe on a handheld. But I think we are past that in terms of consoles.
Muramasa: The Demon Blade and Contra: Shattered Soldier would like to have a word with you. :bleh: I don't see how you can go "past" a type of gameplay; Ocarina of Time, regardless of perspective, didn't always deviate from the gameplay of A Link to the Past. Only rare moments forced you to think vertically, making the perspective arbitrary.

Graphically? Yes, we can do better. But sprites can achieve new heights on modern consoles too, as shown by Muramasa; good graphics and even "modern" graphics are not limited in any way to 3D games.

I wouldn't really care for another 2D zelda game, don't get me wrong I love the classics but I think the key to the success of nintendos future is going forward not back, I think the only way you are goinng to see a 2D zelda is if they bring back an older one. Personally I prefer 3D games over 2D they are just better than 2D, the 2D games are fun but they aren't in the run for the future any more.

I wouldn't really care for another 2D zelda game, don't get me wrong I love the classics but I think the key to the success of nintendos future is going forward not back, I think the only way you are goinng to see a 2D zelda is if they bring back an older one. Personally I prefer 3D games over 2D they are just better than 2D, the 2D games are fun but they aren't in the run for the future any more.
Again, how can an entire concept of gameplay become outdated? How does revisiting a style that is commonly used in games today be considered going back to an older time?

Also, what do newer Zelda games do so much better than the 2D ones?

Simple they are 3D, they are more visually stimulating than 2D games why do you think most of the popular games today aren't 2D, because 2D isn't what the majority of people want, but here is some thing those who like the classics and there systems will love here in Canada there is a store that specializes in vintage video games and systems, their goal is to help bring the classics back to the surface for the younger generations to experience.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Absolutely. I loved the 2D Zelda games, and I definitely would like to see another one. Not one like Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks, but one like A Link to the Past or the Oracle games. 2D Zeldas were, on average, harder than the 3D Zeldas, and Zelda could use some decent difficulty now. And I agree with Pancake Wizard, I would rather that it is on a handheld and not a console. Consoles can be left for the 3D Zeldas since they are more powerful.

The only future I see for 2D is something really cool, 3 dimensional layering it will be a 2D platform with 3D rendering they have already done it with some games, that is the only way I see 2D games making a return.

I wouldn't really like too see a new 2D Zelda game anytime soon. I'm not against 2D, i love that in a world full of HD consoles and 3D abominations, that Nintendo rocked the wii with some awesome 2D games like New Super Mario Bros and Kirby;Return to Dreamland. (Just like how the Wii rocked the Rail Shooter, i love that genre, so overlooked imo.)

But I think as far as Zelda goes, it is time to really push it forward. Nintendo look like they're trying to do that with SS, if they were to put out more 3D titles on the 3DS as well as the WiiU then Zelda would certainly start selling well again. SS may not have done as well as other Zelda installments in sales but 3million is still pretty decent. Imagine those sales for a 3DS game? The gaming community wants to love Zelda, its just Nintendo make it hard sometimes and even after a very rich history of 2D titles like ALttP, LA and MC, it is the 3D titles that most people want and that is no bad thing. Even if the new 3D handheld titles were as short as MM or heck even shorter, no one is going to mind, but we can rest safely in the knowledge that the 3DS can hold all of OoT and more if you factor in the Master Quest and boss rush modes. We could really see a 3D Zelda on a grande scale on the 3ds. The 3DS would also serve as a good experimentation console which nintendo could learn from for home console releases.

It'd be naive of me to say hat we have seen all we could ever see from the 2D genre as far as Zelda is concerned because that isn't true but really it is the 3D everyone wants and the 3D installments are what are i need of evolution and change and I for one would like to see nintendo continue with their progression rather than working on 2D titles.

I dont mind but I'd prefer them to focus more on 3D titles simple because they look better and i prefer the game play of a 3D game when it comes to Zelda.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Personally, I prefer the 3D style. The 3D is more immersive and it's easier to feel like you are actually part of the game instead of just an outside observer. What's more, the 3D style isn't as difficult in some areas. Namely, the combat. I embrace a style that keeps me close to the foe, but in 2D, if you brush against an enemy they can hurt you badly. This issue isn't present in the 3D games except fore some spiky, Fire-based or Ice-based foes.

Yes spacial awareness is more easily attainable with 3D, 2D isn't as user friendly, when playing the original zelda game I found it extremely easy to take damage simply because it is harder to keep spacial awareness in the game it just made it annoying to try keeping my distance while remaining in attack position, the only good thing about this is that it offered a challenge.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I would absolutely love seeing another 2D Zelda game. 2D Zelda's are fantastic and challenging and the least linear of all Zelda games. These are attributes that recent Zelda games have been lacking. A nice throwback might be just what the series needs

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I would like to see another 2d Zelda game maybe with a style like Alltp with how you can do the dungeons in almost any dungeon.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I as a whole prefer the 2d games to the 3d ones. Simply put they are fun to play, and more difficult usually in more then you missed seeing something obvious like a switch on a wall. I felt immersed enough in the oracle games, but thats cause I have an imagination, I don't need everything shown to me for me to want to fill in my own gaps.

And If they do it I would kinda hate them to do a new super mario brothers to be honest, i hate the 3d sprites that are in 2d games. Now super smash brothers pulled it off I suppose, but the concept of that game was much more abstract vs an actual cave to explore or something. And i wasn't a huge fan of what phantom hour glass/ spirit tracks did with the 2.5, that being said i didn't hate the style too much, but it made dungeons aesthetically unpleasing seeing the top of walls and all the gaps between the actual level.

If they could make it true top down, with out use of 3d sprites, I would be all for it. Its still perfectly possible to make beautiful environments with out trying to resort to 3d.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom