• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would you like to see an achievement/trophy system on Nintendo Switch or future consoles?

D

Deleted member 96199

==========

Last edited by a moderator:

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
No. That'd trigger the completionist in me and I'd feel bad for not doing random, arbitrary things to "100%" stuff.

It'd have to be something really simple in my case, like collecting badges for your Nintendo-account. 1 badge for each game you've beaten, not more than that for me. I just don't have the time for it XD

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I like achievements and I've recently gotten into trophy hunting as well. I usually strive to do as much as possible in every game so having some sort of acknowledgment that I did in fact complete a game and accomplished various challenges is really cool.

Sure, it's always nice to compare with friends or "flex" on them, but I personally just enjoy the fact that there's some sort of personal record for me to look back on and see what I was playing years ago to the exact date.

I sometimes go back and look through my Xbox achievement data as far back as the 360 and I remember specific times in my life when I was completing certain games and even blow myself away at some of the ridiculous challenges I've done over the years.

Though, one thing is for sure, if Nintendo did start implementing such a system, I'd definitely have the courage to delete my Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild save files to replay them again knowing that there's some sort of record of their completion attached to my account.

MW7

I would definitely like that. I recently played Hollow Knight for the first time on Switch, and they manually added in an achievement system. I think achievements are great because they can give you clues as to things you haven't done in the game and give you goals that might not be obvious to all players.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Nah. Having a trophy system takes away playing the game for the fun of playing the game and instead makes it into a checklist. I like how BotW handled it with the sidequests (I'm sure it's more common than I realize but BotW is the only example I know of), you have to find them to see what the goal is, then the completed list is just an ingame list under your quests that still need to be checked off. Also it would just kinda ruin the immersion imo, having achievements saved to the console. Keep things simple.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I would definitely like that. I recently played Hollow Knight for the first time on Switch, and they manually added in an achievement system. I think achievements are great because they can give you clues as to things you haven't done in the game and give you goals that might not be obvious to all players.

This. I love when achievements are done well and basically clue you in on things you would have never thought about doing before. A perfect example of this for me was Halo: The Master Chief Collection. I've been a long-time Halo player before MCC even came out, and yet the achievements pushed me to see and do things in each game that I wouldn't have otherwise. Things that I could have easily just seen someone else do on YouTube and never experience for myself.

Even Resident Evil games. Before Resident Evil 2 remake released, I wanted to play the HD remaster of the first remake which I had beaten before on Wii, but always found to be quite an intimidating experience. Yet, the achievements pushed me to speed run the game, do a knife run, do invisible enemy mode, and even do a seamless run with no saves and each playthrough got significantly easier/doable because the paths and puzzles became 2nd nature to me and made me cut down on the aimless exploration and backtracking and turned me into an efficient player. It's such a rewarding skill progression and I likely wouldn't have ever attempted it if it weren't for the achievements.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
This. I love when achievements are done well and basically clue you in on things you would have never thought about doing before. A perfect example of this for me was Halo: The Master Chief Collection. I've been a long-time Halo player before MCC even came out, and yet the achievements pushed me to see and do things in each game that I wouldn't have otherwise. Things that I could have easily just seen someone else do on YouTube and never experience for myself.

Even Resident Evil games. Before Resident Evil 2 remake released, I wanted to play the HD remaster of the first remake which I had beaten before on Wii, but always found to be quite an intimidating experience. Yet, the achievements pushed me to speed run the game, do a knife run, do invisible enemy mode, and even do a seamless run with no saves and each playthrough got significantly easier/doable because the paths and puzzles became 2nd nature to me and made me cut down on the aimless exploration and backtracking and turned me into an efficient player. It's such a rewarding skill progression and I likely wouldn't have ever attempted it if it weren't for the achievements.
That sounds like bad game design if the secrets are so hard to find there has to be an external hint to find them :eyes:

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
That sounds like bad game design if the secrets are so hard to find there has to be an external hint to find them :eyes:

It's almost like they're not part of the core experience and secret for a reason... It's mostly just fun easter eggs that you have to go out of your way to find or trigger. Like the scarab gun in Halo 2 or the racing course in Halo: Reach.

@grunder Yeah, the knife run isn't too bad. Just make sure you avoid as many enemies as possible, take lots of health into boss battles, and like you said, Yawn and the Tyrant are pretty easy. Especially the Tyrant since his hit box is pretty generous when you're knifing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom