• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Would You Like To See A D&D Game?

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
Dungeons and Dragons is by far my favorite game (That's not a video game), and has not appeared in any form on any console (It's appeared on computers, but I've never played)

Would you like to see a D&D MMO?

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Oi! I just been thinking to meself: "Self, where did all the DnD games go???"

I mean it's weird, right? DnD has historically been one of the most popular video game mainstays, not to mention something of a pop cultural phenomenon overall. It's reached something of a popular appeal if not a popular understanding. Practically the entire video game industry owes its existence to DnD given so many early programmers started making games to emulate tabletop DnD on computers.

So why is it that all we have to show for it today is that schmaltzy Neverwinter MMO and the dated D&D Online. I can't even remember what the last single player DnD licensed game was. I don't think there were any adaptations of the 4e or 5e rulesets.

It's also odd considering Wizards of the Coast restructured themselves to rebrand D&D as a multimedia product. Yet... not a game in sight. A few crappy direct to video animated movies and a literal craptone of books.

Still, I wouldn't trust any developer to actually make a dungeons and dragons video game done right today unless Wizards gave exclusive license to CDPR.

Djinn

and Tonic
There have been a few attempts at a DnD mmo, none of them have ever been very good. In fact most of the video game adaptations of the series are always sort of second rate compated to other established fantasy genre games. For some reason the standard DnD model just rarely translates to video games well. Outside of the Baulder's Gate series but it has been a long time since those so that is really not so relevant any longer.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
There's already an MMO called Dungeons & Dragons Online, and I've played it. It's really only fun if you play it with a group of friends, trying to play with random people tends not to work out that well. But I had fun with it, and I don't think it was bad at all.

Another thing that might be worth looking into is trying to play actual D&D over the Internet in something like a Skype or Discord call. There are various tools to facilitate this, though it's not quite as easy as in person.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Neverwinter and DDO exist, but are on computers, and are pretty dated
I've been playing Neverwinter on PS4 for months now. It's not that bad really if you don't expect much. It's mind numbingly simple and repetitive and grindy af and mostly a complete exercise in futility but I do enjoy the way they present the Neverwinter campaign setting and their adaptation of the rules isn't as completely ignorant of the DnD ruleset as DDO is. And it isn't dated. Its production costs are pretty mid-tier. It's also completely FREEEE unless you want to give in and pay for loot boxes and stuff.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Divinity: Original Sin might be the kind of game you're looking for. It's not connected to Dungeons and Dragons, but the spirit is there. Plenty of emphasis is placed on creative solutions to quests and combat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom